Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Met a guy last night with a new '14 R/T auto. He claims his book says run 91 gas. I know this is true in 6 speeds but autos were 89 last I knew. Is this true and if so is this why the '14 is able to run iridium spark plugs? It would be nice if we could run the iridium plugs and have no issues in our '13 and older Challengers by simply running 91+ gas with them....

EDIT: looking at the local parts stores, they list AutoliteXP iridium part #XP5325 as standard for the 2014, and optional for the '09-'13 ... so that means the same threads and length...

·
Registered
398 Posts
I just check both the User Guide and the Owner's Manual.

The UG says 91 octane for the 5.7L engine. It doesn't specify transmission.

The OM, OTOH, says 89 Octane recommended, 87 acceptable for the 3.6 and 5.7 with automatic, 91 for the 6sp.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!! Maybe the plug changed because they finally found the proper heat range?? I'm due for new plugs so I may throw the dice...

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BUMP ....
Anyone have any ideas as to swapping to the '14 plugs????

·
Vendor
13,404 Posts
when at school they teach us that when Chrysler designed an engine they start with the plug, i would not mess with anything but factory plugs, and there is a difference between what you buy at Advance and the dealer, not the same plug, to further that we have had a lot of issues with spark plugs creating emp fields and causing all kings of driveability issues
replace but replace with the oem only!!!!

thats my opinion

Luke

1 - 7 of 7 Posts