Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my new RT for about a week and decided I definitely needed a louder exhaust. I keep hearing alot of complaints about "drone?" from other automatic owners and that replacing the rear resonators with GlassPacks was the way to go.

Did that today

Fired it up and......BS. Barely louder than Stock. What gives guys? What's the answer for me?

Would a second set of glasspacks in place of the mufflers be what I'm looking for?

I don't want stupid loud but dang, I want to know it's a muscle car.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
One word, SOLO

Reactions: Yahooligan and Triz

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Solo sounds wonderful! Down the road it's a definite route for me to take. For now though, I just want a low cost solution for my existing system

·
Registered
13 Posts
I deleted my resonators, replaced the mufflers with Magna flow mufflers. Its a deep quiet idle.. it opens up a lil off idle not a lot but at least it has a V8 rumble now! I only drive with the auto stick now because when the MDS comes in it sounds terrible and vibrates the interior... this may be some of the drone people speak of.. but when auto stick is in use it sounds great! Mine is about 4 weeks old, couldn't stand the vacuum cleaner sound of the exhaust.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
97 Posts
You should have left the rear resonators in place and deleted the mid mufflers. You would have great sound with no drone.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Has anyone done a second set of glass packs to replace the mufflers also?
If you go that route, it will sound just like my 6M. Just loud enough and some drone, but at least I don't have MDS and I can shift around it. You should take the advice of the other A5 folks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I first went this route and replaced my resos with blastin bobs glass packs. Too quiet. Then I said screw it, its a muscle car, I want it LOUD, and installed super 44s in place of the mufflers and straights pipes where the resos are. I will say at idle and wot the car sounded incredible. But the drone...wow. At 2k rpm with MDS it was absolutely unbearable, and I have a high noise tolerance, but it wasn't the level of the sound, it was how BAD it sounded. Forget about the highway and long cruises, it was awful.

Then I ponied up the money for a good cat back. If you want great muscle sound that doesn't drone and turns heads wherever you go, sometimes you just gotta spend the $ and not go the easier/less expensive route (which cost me more in the end than if I just went cat-back!)

I debated between zoomers and solo then finally settled on the zoomers cat back from speedlogix and I tell ya, I couldn't be happier, the sound is incredible, no drone, and even MDS doesn't sound bad with zoomers. I would recommend abandoning your current plan and going cat back, both zoomers and solo are great choices, no drone, great fit and finish and under $1k. You wont be disappointed.

Just my 2c

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
426 Posts
I installed the Blastin' Bob's MFCE glasspacks on mine. Definitely louder than stock. I really like the sound. You also need to give the glasspacks some time to break in. I didn't think the sound was all that great at first but now that they're broken in, I like it a lot.

Reactions: DJ Hemi and rajunz

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
I've had my new RT for about a week and decided I definitely needed a louder exhaust. I keep hearing alot of complaints about "drone?" from other automatic owners and that replacing the rear resonators with GlassPacks was the way to go.Did that today.Fired it up and......BS. Barely louder than Stock. What gives guys? What's the answer for me?
Your stock resonators were pretty free-flowing and did not deaden your exhaust sound. You should have replaced the mufflers.

Look at this cutaway of a resonator.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
I'll second solo. I have there straight pipe system on my car and it sounds awesome. You want old school? Check there system out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Your stock resonators were pretty free-flowing and did not deaden your exhaust sound. You should have replaced the mufflers.

Look at this cutaway of a resonator.
What do u base this on; ur the only one with this theory. I've seen and heard videos of just the muffler being replaced with very little to no change. I've spoken to a few muffler shops who also said replacing the mufflers wouldn't be that noticeable.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went with the resonators first because of all the Blastin Bobs Kits that I see people with. I didn't see alot of muffler deletes/changes, just resonators.

I've got a lower rumble back by the tailpipes but it's quiet. You can hear the action under the hood more than from behind the car if you know what I mean.

I asked my muffler guy about a couple 40 series flowmasters in place of the stock mufflers but he said it wouldn't improve much because they are pretty free flowing?

That brought me to the 2nd set of glasspacks idea?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Don't mean to be an a$$ but................

First off, you should have gotten an SRT
Secondly, If you had an SRT you could have just removed the resonators with a bigger exhause tips "not the stock POS tips" AND then you'd be set.........................
There are just "too many" different advise on this forum about exhaust that gets everyone confused :scratchhead:

I have better things to spend my Challenger money on, the money that people spend on exhaust systems just cracks me up but, like the saying goes: A fool and his money, soon depart!

Just saying..................

David

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A fool and his money didn't part here. SRT wasn't in the budget and I wasn't going to sacrifice other aspects of my family's lifestyle so that I could finance another 10-15 grand for an extra 47 CI

I love the car, zero regrets, just want it louder. Thanks for the hindsight though

·
Registered
380 Posts
The best thing you can do is remove those glasspacks and replace with straight pipe and remove those middle mufflers and replace with flowmaster super 40s or if you want even deeper super 44s... Now if you want more of a quite but a lil louder than stock then go with magnaflows instead of flowmasters. I have a 12 SRT8 and i dont have no bad drone issues, i have a tuner and can cutt off mds when ever i want but honestly it isnt bad even when mds kicks in! Just remember you have to give the exhaust a couple weeks to break in, the carbon will slowly coat the pipes and the exhaust will get deeper and less drone! Trust me on this buddy! I had a R/T before as well with blastin glass packs and it actually droned more with the glasspacks in the rear and its was just too quiet!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts