Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all,

My dealer/service shop just recently told me that one of my suitcase mufflers is going bad on my 2014 R/T (at 44K miles -____-), and causing this awful noise during acceleration. It needs to be replaced. I was given a few options, and although this looks to be an ideal opportunity to upgrade to the performance system that I have been wanting, it's just not financially ideal at the moment as I look to close on my first home.

The most cost effective options are to have a shop chop off the mufflers, and either 1) have them replaced with aftermarket mufflers, or 2) delete the mufflers altogether. I know what they both can sound like, and truly like where both options leave me for now, but I have a few questions for the community:

1) Am I running any risks messing the computer system since exhaust pressure should change?
2) Any performance risks overall?
3) Understanding that I may deal with some drone, are there any other cons about my current options that an amateur may not think about?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! I do not pretend to be a mechanic, and I'm letting this stress me out too much. Some guidance by those that know more than me would go a long way!

Thanks!

·
Registered
14,272 Posts
No suitcase on 2014, he must be talking about the rear resonator. If you have an automatic you really need the resonators or you will get drone. Chopping off the mufflers same thing, loud and drone.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had the mid mufflers on my '14 removed and had Dynomax Race Bullets installed. Much better sound and less than $125 for mufflers and install.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I decided to chop the mid-mufflers off and resos off, and replace the mid-mufflers with Flowmaster 40s. I'll let y'all know how it turns out in about 3 hours!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No suitcase on 2014, he must be talking about the rear resonator. If you have an automatic you really need the resonators or you will get drone. Chopping off the mufflers same thing, loud and drone.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
It's the driver-side mid-muffler that is damaged. Decided to chop off and replace with aftermarket.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a shop chop the mid mufflers out, put flowmaster 40's in, and cut off the rear resonators on my M6 R/T. I also had the same setup on my Dad's A5 R/T.
IMO this is nearly perfect as its loud when you want it to be, but also can be tame, not like straight pipes or a borla atak. I would recommend getting the resonators cut off as well especially if you want your exhaust to have a bite to it. You wont lose or gain any performance with this set up, it will just make it sound faster lmao.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got back from the shop. Had the mufflers put on as expected, but they made a huge stink about the resonators. Told me it was a complicated cut and weld, and therefore would cost more than the muffler job. From all of the research I did (I don't pretend to be a mechanic) I was under the impression that it was relatively simple, and cheap. I'm actually happy with just the mufflers, but those resos are coming off as soon as I find the right/proper deal.

Jackstraw, couldn't agree more. I took a lot of time to research the sound I wanted. Ideally I wanted the Borla S cat-back, but in the end I just don't think it was necessary considering cost. Thanks for all the input y'all!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just got back from the shop. Had the mufflers put on as expected, but they made a huge stink about the resonators. Told me it was a complicated cut and weld, and therefore would cost more than the muffler job. From all of the research I did (I don't pretend to be a mechanic) I was under the impression that it was relatively simple, and cheap. I'm actually happy with just the mufflers, but those resos are coming off as soon as I find the right/proper deal.

Jackstraw, couldn't agree more. I took a lot of time to research the sound I wanted. Ideally I wanted the Borla S cat-back, but in the end I just don't think it was necessary considering cost. Thanks for all the input y'all!
Most shops around here charge around $400-550 for that whole job. With either flow master or magnaflow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Most shops around here charge around $400-550 for that whole job. With either flow master or magnaflow.
Yeah, I paid 500 for the muffler swap and resonator delete. The shop that did it said they didn't want to just do the resonator delete, because it was going to be to difficult or something along those lines, but if I were to get some new mufflers (which I did) that they would gladly do the work. I asked them to cut the resonators first, so I could hear it just to be sure I was making the right choice. When I heard it, the car honestly sounded like poo poo, so I just went with the whole thing. It was worth it, definitely try to find a shop that will cut the resonators off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts