Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had a very rough week here in Texas and I have been very fortunate compared to most, but...Tuesday after having no power for about 8 hrs, I decided to attempt to get to my sons house who did have power. It was a bad idea. At least in a Challenger. After spinning out in ice at a intersection. I was just going to call a wrecker to take the car back home. There wasn't a single wrecker available. So i had to get the car home! The last hill before my house was a nightmare. I had traction ctrl and ABS lights flashing light crazy speedo was showing about 80MPH and I was moving by inches but I had to keep going. Finally got the car home, but now mr squiggly light wont go off ABS light wont go off and the car wont move. The rear tires just spin. I suspect the front brakes are stuck.

·
Registered
287 Posts
A bad wheel sensor seems to be the common problem when ABS and Mr Squiggly stay on, but since your brakes are locked up the problem might be in the ABS unit

When spinning your wheels uphill in snow, the owners manual advises to turn ESP partially off, which is a pain in the butt because you have enough to do behind the wheel in that situation. And don't forget to turn it back on before descending a hill. I don't like how the ESP behaves uphill in the snow, it seems to fight me trying to get uphill, IMO

·
Registered
2011 SE/SXT
932 Posts
I had my wheel speed sensor go out in Nov it is common. You have to have it scanned at a shop or with a really good ODB II Scanner there is 4 on your car one at each wheel... THe Scanner will identify which one it is. About 70.00 to fix at most shops including the part.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I doubt your caliper hung up because of the driving conditions that you described. That is why I said it might be in the ABS, but I am guessing.

If it were me, I would get the proper scan tool to determine if one of your wheel speed sensors are bad. Bad wheel sensor does not have to throw a code. A scan tool without certain features will not tell you which wheel sensor is bad

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,762 Posts
I had my 2009 R/T on a Dyno once. Those same icons were illuminated after I got off the rack and for a while on the road. My back wheels were spinning like hell and my front wheels were just sitting there. It confused the hell out of the car. Something similar may have happened to yours. This may clear on its own once you cycle it on dry pavement once this freeze is over.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FYRDUDE is right. Got some better weather today Ice melted. Battery tested good, performed scan, no codes stored. Started up and drove normally. By the time I got to the end of the street the the ABS and traction control off lights turned themselves off.
They should put a disclaimer on these cars.
" do not attempt to operate in crappy conditions "

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,133 Posts
FWIW - a certain driving condition can trigger a "dyno mode". Although in the OP's case most likely moisture was in the system and the sudden temp dropped cause the wheel sensor(s) to go bonkers?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was attempting to get up a small icy hill. I had hit the TC off button otherwise the gas pedal was totally dead .my speedo was reading between 60-80MPH ABS light was flashing and car was moving inches. But I had to get it home. From what I have read My car has the capability to completely turn off TC but I haven't tried it yet

·
Registered
287 Posts
I was attempting to get up a small icy hill. I had hit the TC off button otherwise the gas pedal was totally dead .my speedo was reading between 60-80MPH ABS light was flashing and car was moving inches. But I had to get it home. From what I have read My car has the capability to completely turn off TC but I haven't tried it yet
If you can hold the button down for a while to disable ESP/BAS, do it next time. Your ABS will still work. Even partially off, the car will fight you going uphill in the snow.

It is a pain on my car. I have to do the "key trick" to disable mine, which requires me to shut the car off and restart to enable ESP/BAS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts