Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my R/T 6-speed this past Friday and Saturday I went to the muffler shop to cut off the resnoators for a better sound; however, once the car was in the air the exhaust system wasn't like I thought. The resnoators were in the middle of the car and the mufflers were on the back. So instead for cutting out the resonators I had the shop install 2 Flowmaster Super 10s and I kept the resonators. BUT I wonder...will cutting the resonators out and running straight pipes increase the sound? I mean I like the way it sounds currently and the shop guy told me to give it a week for the mufflers to 'break in' but I would like it to be a little louder. Call me crazy but I like to be heard. Anybody done this yet on their 2014? TIA :icon_cheers:

·
Registered
109 Posts
The resonators are in the rear on 2014 rt manuals. I had my taken off a month ago. They are right before your bumper. On the pipes leaving the motor is mufflers under car then resonators under trunk.

·
Registered
15,069 Posts
Sounds to me like you put the Flomasters by the back bumper, is that right?

If so should be pretty loud as the 6-speed bottle mufflers under the car pretty much straight thru and they will get louder, guess straight pipe will be louder how much more not sure.

Nice car and welcome btw.
:cheers:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sounds like he cut off the mufflers and left the resonators. I have a 6spd also and I put Blastin Bobs MF49CE magna-flows on instead of the resonators. I did not want it super loud, just deeper and it sounds great to me.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Based on the OP's misunderstanding of the exhaust and what was done, it sounds like he did in fact remove the resonators (at the rear of the car, behind the bumper) and replaced them with Flowmasters.

This setup will be louder than stock, though I'm not sure how much louder.

As for removing the factory mufflers and leaving the Flowmasters where the resonators are, sure that will increase the sound but it likely won't sound the same as installing the Flowmasters where the mufflers are and then putting straight pipe where the resonators were.

The exhaust, even on yours, is...

| engine -> manifolds -> mid-pipes w/ cats -> mufflers (under rear seat) -> resonators (between rear axle and bumper) -> tips

What you have now, based on your post, is a resonator delete using Flowmasters

| engine -> manifolds -> mid-pipes -> mufflers -> Flowmasters -> tips

Most folks do this...

| engine -> manifolds -> mid-pipes -> new mufflers -> straight pipe -> tips

Or this...

| engine -> manifolds -> mid-pipes -> stock mufflers -> straight pipe/reso delete -> tips

So it sounds like you have done a resonator delete, you just don't realize it. :D

Reactions: Joseph

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys are absolutely correct. I did do a resonator delete with Flowmasters. I have a few friends that work at my local Dodge dealership and I just confused the hell out of them for the past hour until they were able to ask one of their techs.

Yahooligan - So you suggest relocating my Flowmaster where my mufflers are currently (mid-car) and running straight pipe where my Flowmasters are? I want to maximize the aggressive sound of the super 10s. I just didn't think that placement would make that big of a difference (the nob in me). I also understand by doing this that it would create drone inside the car. Is that correct? If so, I'm not too concerned with that being this car is my 'weekend warrior' and not my DD. My ultimate goal is to turn heads with the sound of my car, whether it's to see what's coming or to turn in disgust at the sheer loudest. Of course achieving this without a full cat-back system (yet).

·
Registered
232 Posts
If your car is a 6spd and it has the little bottle mufflers I'm not sure how much louder it is going to be if you put the Flow Masters there. If you want it loud just eliminate the Flow Masters at the back.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just had the Resonator-ectomy done today to my 2014 6 spd and I can tell you that it is exactly what I wanted the sound to be. There is a slight drone at 2100 rpm if you need to accelerate from there but its not ear bleeding bad at all.

Plus, if I want to drive quietly (kind of tough to do from a stand still), 5th, at street speed is very doable. I took my mom out shopping and we could still have a nice conversation without the radio on and my window down.

This is my DD so I am curious to see how I do in the morning commute so I'll keep everyone posted!

·
Registered
252 Posts
BTW I took some pictures before they started cutting. Sorry, the car was done and off the lift when I came back but perhaps this would identify exactly what we are all talking about in this thread. I'm sure there are other pics out there too.
[/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
The Resonators

[/URL][/IMG]
The mufflers. (Still puzzled about the passenger's side "wiggle" pipe. Did anyone get an answer on that?)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Just had the Resonator-ectomy done today to my 2014 6 spd and I can tell you that it is exactly what I wanted the sound to be. There is a slight drone at 2100 rpm if you need to accelerate from there but its not ear bleeding bad at all.

Plus, if I want to drive quietly (kind of tough to do from a stand still), 5th, at street speed is very doable. I took my mom out shopping and we could still have a nice conversation without the radio on and my window down.

This is my DD so I am curious to see how I do in the morning commute so I'll keep everyone posted!
I know the feeling. When I first start it up in the morning its very loud, but once the idle comes down its not obnoxious. I'm sure my neighbors can hear it in the morning. I try to exit the neighborhood as quiet as possible in a high gear. Makes a nice low rumble in that situation. Once it gets warmed up it sounds great.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
252 Posts
Driver: 43 (never liked the coffee can exhaust noise from the Hondas etc.)
Challenger: 3100 miles

Okay, its been a few days since the Res - Delete and I can tell you that I am happy with it. I've been driving with the windows up (in case we ever get that thing called rain again or its just too hot to have the AC on and the windows down.) and there is a bit of a "boom" or drone at 2000 rpm. Its not bad enough to interrupt conversations and if you have the window down just a crack it just isn't a problem. I typically lower my window to hear the roar behind me but I am also very pleased with the way I can just cruise on the freeway in 6th with no worries. If I drop it into 5th it can put it in the dronezone but it can be very temporary and I've had cars where I messed with the exhaust and unwittingly got drone enough to feel like it was going to vibrate the fillings out of my head. Getting onto the freeway is a joy between 3 an 4 grand.

Just didn't know my Challenger RT could get anymore bad @ss!

Thanks to everyone on the forum.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
i had the same thing done (I also thought the rear suitcases were mufflers not resonators) but i had magnaflows put on instead.

I like the sound over stock and because mine is an auto, the MDS drone is also louder at like 70-80 while throttling without MDS kicking off. I think it is pleasant and i think if i removed the mufflers too that i would be kicking myself. The car also seems to run smoother between shifting from MDS and non-MDS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts