Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not due for an oil change yet but I am considering changing to a full synthetic at next interval. Pennzoil ultra seems to get good reviews but I am confused on a few things. The manual states to use 5w20 in the 5.7 rt but the SRT uses a full synthetic and uses 0w40. Wondering if it would be best to use 5w20 synthetic or 0w40 since that is the synthetic Chrysler calls for in it's srt8.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Stick to the specs that the manual calls for or you risk CELs and other issues, on top of losing your motor warranty. It's 5W-20, especially if it's an auto. The SRT is not using better oil - it has different tolerances for some parts. Now going with synthetic is not a must, but I think it's a good idea and that's what I did on my R/T.

ETA: I see your intro says "6 speed" so you 'might' get away with slightly thicker 5W-30, but that's about it, I think.

Reactions: BlackHemi41

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
I'm not due for an oil change yet but I am considering changing to a full synthetic at next interval. Pennzoil ultra seems to get good reviews but I am confused on a few things. The manual states to use 5w20 in the 5.7 rt but the SRT uses a full synthetic and uses 0w40. Wondering if it would be best to use 5w20 synthetic or 0w40 since that is the synthetic Chrysler calls for in it's srt8.
Use the 5w20 the book calls for. Remember car manufacturers don't say use what ever you like. They put that information in the owners manual for a reason pay attention to it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Use the 5w20 the book calls for. Remember car manufacturers don't say use what ever you like. They put that information in the owners manual for a reason pay attention to it.

Good advice

1 - 4 of 4 Posts