Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=137585&stc=1&d=1388873511

I finally cleared the 12 inches of snow from my car today and started my modifications, as simple as they may be , for right now. I took photos of all the original stickers, removed the sun visor warning stickers, installed my pedal kit and when I went to install my Billet Tech Oil catch can , i found that there is a big black plastic box blocking where I am to install it. This thing is attached to the air induction and it looks different that older Challenger 5.7 engine photos that i have seen. Can anyone advise what this thing does and what I can do to add my BT catch can ? I have attached a photo of my engine bay.
Thanks for the info on how to install the pedals. Completed within 3 minutes without any cursing or busted knuckles.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
That chunk is a sound resonator. You will need to buy a clean air duct for a Charger p/n 4861940AC. It is the exact same duct as the Challenger's except without the wart. That resonator is held up by a bracket. You will remove that bracket and use the existing stud for the attachment of the catch can. Tip, Google OEM dodge parts and you can order one for about $30 less than list price.

Other options are to cut off the resonator from the duct and plug the hole or buy a bracket from BT to mount the catch can to the right fender where that tab with a hole sticks out from the fender.

·
Registered
540 Posts
That's a lot of Mopar.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick info. I took a sawzall and went outside and told my wife that my car has a big "wart" that needs removal ! Just kidding ! Definitely will look into the parts you guys suggested. Probably will go with a new CAI. Never thought that I would see the day where I would be sitting inside my car , "talking" to it. Trying to figure out how the voice command works with my radio.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Picked up my new 2011 Charger air inlet today for $84 at the dealer I get my parts from. I will install the air inlet and my catch can tomorrow. It 8 degrees outside and I just don't feel like working outside today ! I did download all of my itunes library to a 32gb thumbdrive and it seems to work . I guess when my free Sirius XM runs out , I won't be renewing. I just checked for my 2012 Suburban. I am getting screwed. I have paid for a 3yr plan $444.00 .

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed my catch can last night and didn't even drive the car after doing so. This afternoon I went to remote start the car and she wouldn't do it. I get into the car and start it manually and notice the check engine light is now on. Would installing the catch can cause this? Is there a way to get the code from the EVIC on my 2014 ?

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
A catch can should not affect any sensors by itself.
Most likely you just bumped an electrical connector or something that tripped a sensor somewhere.

·
Registered
420 Posts
i installed mine w/the fender mount kit on the passenger side....didn't know if i was gonna change the intake or not at that time...maybe my theory is wrong or misguided, but the way i see it, the longer those hoses are the better, more time for the vapor to condense and not bypass the catch can all together...probably just set myself up for a round of bashing...lol oh well!!!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
What I think happened, was.....the rubber hoses provided by Billet Tech were a little on the short side. I did not use any clamps and i think that there was an air leak that tripped a sensor. I unhooked the negative battery and reconnected it. The light went off and I pushed the hoses a bit tighter and drove the car without any further engine lights. I went and bought some steel braided hoses and attached them with clamps. Hope I have the problem solved. Finally got my bloody knuckles working on the car today. Now its officially my car!
One thing that I have to do is, get the shorter hose cut another 2 inches shorter. In the photo you can see that it rests up against the post where the engine cover attaches and its a pain to get lined up.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts