Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I was doing a tire rotation and I measured the brake rotors in the hopes of being able to make an independent assessment of the suitability of the discs for reuse without replacement. I bought the car new and I'm still on the OEM brakes after 43k miles.

The measurements were:

Front
Driver Passenger
Rotor Thickness (cm) 3.0 3.0
Pad thickness (cm) 0.5 0.4
Rear
Driver Passenger
Rotor Thickness (cm) 2.6 2.6
Pad thickness (cm) 0.45 0.3

I've searched around but I'm having some trouble establishing the recommended minimum thickness of the rotors. Attached is a pic of how I took the measurements.

Does anyone know the min thickness of the rotors or have a link to find out ?

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Reactions: testcranker

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look on the edge of the rotor it will say min thick XX but here is a link 2014 Dodge Challenger - Technical Specs
Yeah, I learned about the stamping after I pulled the wheels. I may have to pull the wheels again to see what it says.

That site doesn't state thickness that I saw, just diameter. Also, it doesn't state minimum thickness. Unless I missed it.

·
Registered
15,074 Posts
No, it won't state minimum thickness.

On my 2015 with 15.4-inch rotors, new is 34.05mm and minimum supposed to be 32.00mm although I never could find that in a written spec, might give you an idea though.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,375 Posts
No, it won't state minimum thickness.

On my 2015 with 15.4-inch rotors, new is 34.05mm and minimum supposed to be 32.00mm although I never could find that in a written spec, might give you an idea though.

Slidd,
Just checked mine recently: fronts were showing 34.16 when new. They are about 32.9 right now at 20k miles. Just changed out the factory pads, which still had plenty of wear left, to Z23's to improve the wear characteristics on the rotors. Those factory semi metallic pads are just too aggressive for my wallet.

·
Registered
15,074 Posts
Slidd,
Just checked mine recently: fronts were showing 34.16 when new. They are about 32.9 right now at 20k miles. Just changed out the factory pads, which still had plenty of wear left, to Z23's to improve the wear characteristics on the rotors. Those factory semi metallic pads are just too aggressive for my wallet.
Mine were about 33.70mm after 16,000 miles with stock pads. Got the Z23s on the front now, I'll measure again when I put a few more miles on them.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Mine were about 33.70mm after 16,000 miles with stock pads. Got the Z23s on the front now, I'll measure again when I put a few more miles on them.

Seems like your numbers would be a little more normal, or should I say closer to what I'd like to expect on the front SRT rotors. However, I bought mine with 16k and some VERY worn front rotors (considering the low mileage on the car). Guessing that the original owner was "brake happy" as my father used to say. That's what he'd say when ever he got stuck behind somebody that hit their brakes every few seconds because they were tailgating...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Look on the edge of the rotor it will say min thick XX but here is a link 2014 Dodge Challenger - Technical Specs
I had the rear wheel off on Saturday to fix a flat and carefully inspected the outward facing rotor surface, I didn't see any markings at all. No min thickness callouts.

I suppose they could be on the backside of the hub somewhere.

:slant:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the rear wheel off on Saturday to fix a flat and carefully inspected the outward facing rotor surface, I didn't see any markings at all. No min thickness callouts.

I suppose they could be on the backside of the hub somewhere.

:slant:
I read on Brembo's site that their rotors are 32 and 28 max and 30 and 26 min. So, I'm going ahead and taking that as representative of my stock rotors as well.

Just FYI for those who might be interested.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I read on Brembo's site that their rotors are 32 and 28 max and 30 and 26 min. So, I'm going ahead and taking that as representative of my stock rotors as well.

Just FYI for those who might be interested.
Cranker:
Another easy answer: just call the local Dodge dealer and ask. They'll tell you quick enough.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did find it after removing one of the rear rotors today, it's on the outer edge of the rotor, like you said here but I didn't understand it until I saw it.

Thanks anyway, for anyone else who gets stumped trying to find the numbers, here's a pic.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts