Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What started as a fun idea bouncing around in my head turned into several phone calls and internet research and eventually the ordering of a Procharger P1SC HO Supercharger and Comp 274 Cam for 2014 392. Sho-Me Speed in Nixa, Missouri will be doing the work and tuning and we will be doing a before and after Dyno. They will be calling me to make an appointment as soon as the parts get to their shop. :rocker: I will be posting updates to this thread as the project goes along.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I should have mentioned that we will be pushing around 6-7 pounds of boost, which I have read several places, is safe for the stock 392 pistons.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
just wait here comes all the "you are going to break you pistons" posts.

congrats and good luck.
Hey umm... you better go ahead and buy some drop in forged pistons...

no but seriously... get them.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You really think I need them only pushing around 7 pounds of boost? I've read in several places that it's "safe" for the stock pistons.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I don't want to mess around and ruin a brand new block. So I'm going to order the drop in pistons from Arrington that are rated for 12 pounds. Thanks for the tip. I am always very open to advice, so if anyone has anything to add please pipe up.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
If it was my car I would. Sure maybe 6-7 pounds *might* be safe enough for a while but I'd go forged drop ins just for pure peace of mind. That's what I'm going to be doing in the future once I get my procharger down the road. Drop in pistons from modern muscle are on my parts list I have saved. I'll be wanting to run 7-8psi.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there any particular brand of pistons I should get? And Am I going to lose compression with different pistons.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I'd stick with Arrington or Modern Muscle. I think most on here would probably agree. They're drop in so they won't change anything and nothing needs rebalancing or anything like that. Nice upgrade for any boosted car for sure and like I said, peace of mind if you wanted to go 8-12 psi down the road.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya the only reason I was going so light on boost was to save on the pistons so maybe I'll bump that up a few pounds now that I'm going with the drop in pistons.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Yeah with forged pistons like they say, it's safe up to 12 psi but then you gotta worry about drivetrain stuff.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What cam would you recommend with a boosted motor? And why? I'm not a complete moron, but I am very new to this forced induction game.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
What cam would you recommend with a boosted motor? And why? I'm not a complete moron, but I am very new to this forced induction game.
The comp 274 is a large cam great for a big N/A motor.

A we develeloped a nice cam to work with forced induction it all about efficiency more then size to make a great blower motor.

Comp Cams Hemi VVT Performance Cam

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is the 274 going to affect my drivability at all or are you saying I would just see better gains out of your custom grind cam with my pro charger?

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quick update here: I have received the drop- in pistons from Arrington and show-me speed has received the procharger. Now we are just waiting on the cam. Also, procharger hasn't done any 2014 challengers yet so they want to use my car for promotional purposes and feature it in an article in their magazines and website. They've offered to do the tuning for free if I let them do this. I think that's pretty awesome so I think I'm gonna do it. Anybody think that's a bad idea?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts