Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2014 Challenger Sxt 3.6 about a week ago. For the first two days it ran like a dream. The third day it started to have an rpm fluctuation 50-100rpm i would say. And it would have a hard start on cold. With a little more driving the car has been doing it intermittently. It has started shifting rough as well but that only started today. It has 91k miles on it. The car was a repo so i dont have a fob for it yet. Just a standard key with a chip. No unlock or lock buttons. All fluids look good as well. I disconnected the battery to reset it. But nothing has come up. I ran a diagnostic and no check engine lights have appeared. Could this have something to do with the key not programmed properly? Maybe the ecu pcm needs flashed? Or does it sound like a transmission problem. Also when i plug my phone in above the aux it wont charge and it did when i first got it. but it will charge off and on when plugged in under arm rest. Would a correctly programmed fob key help? This year had a ecu/pcm recall. But they "claim" my vin isnt included. What are the next steps to check and take? I checked fuses 5 and 6 and they are a ok. Wouldnt a faulty sensor or ecu throw a code? Thank you for your help. I have a road trip in a few days and need to get this worked out. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,623 Posts
First thing’s first, you need to know what has been done to the car in the past, how it’s been treated over it’s life so far, and what (if any) outstanding recalls still need to be done on the car. Best way I know of to acquire all that info in one fell swoop:
1) download and install the MyCARFAX app. Set up an account to begin using it, it’s free only requiring an email address.
2) open the app and sign in, add your Challenger to My Garage using its VIN.
3) click the Service History tab to see what all has been done to car already. Repeated service events of the same type should indicate a problem area to worry about.
4) check the Home tab for any outstanding recalls and have them done ASAP.

That app’s accuracy hinges upon service shops and dealerships cooperating with CarFax by reporting any work done, so the available service history can be incomplete in some cases. However, it’s pretty good as a general rule, and there’s no other (free) approach I know of to obtain that info in one spot like that.

·
Registered
Phantom Black SXT+ 100th Anniversay
309 Posts
Try removing fuse number 2 for 30 seconds or so Under the Hood to reset the adaptive learning. Just a shot in the dark but this erases any driving habit history. And of course what Nuke said is a very good idea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts