Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in the process of stripping the wheelhouse liners and lower cladding off my car to check for rust, seal up holes and give it a thorough cleaning and rustproofing.The lower cladding on this year is held on by rectangular clips across the top and by 4 - 1/2" x 1/2" x 4" foam adhesive blocks that hold the bottom tight to the car. There is no part number that I can find anywhere for these and body shops I talk to usually replace these pieces with new ones that come with the foam attachments.Does anyone have a product or an answer of what to do about this.Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,571 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Honestly, if you are going this far, I'd probably just replace the rocker cladding with new ones. From what I remember, they aren't *that* expensive. May help to avoid using sub-par tape and end up allowing more water than normal up behind the cladding. Also, I think that I've read somewhere on this forum that they are considerd "one time use" items that you are actually supposed to replace them if you remove them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly, if you are going this far, I'd probably just replace the rocker cladding with new ones. From what I remember, they aren't *that* expensive. May help to avoid using sub-par tape and end up allowing more water than normal up behind the cladding. Also, I think that I've read somewhere on this forum that they are considered "one time use" items that you are actually supposed to replace them if you remove them.
Guys, a pair of those trim pieces is over $600 from my or any dealer. You can't ship them for less than another $150 to $300 so the local dealer is the only source that makes sense.Mopar strikes again...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Holy crap! I was basing this on a post on this forum when someone replaced them himself - and it cost him $133 total (for both sides!) from his dealer! That was for a 2015 though, I think - so I guess the cladding for pre-2015's is WAY more for some reason... Wow.

In addition, I decided to order a new set of rocker covers from my dealer here in town. Only cost $133 for the pair out the door with tax.

Here is the post where that line was from:
https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f108/just-got-my-car-now-learn-rust-issue-660391/#post8366745

Obviously, for the prices you are quoting, I can completly understand why you don't want to replace them! Damn...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,571 Posts
I looked quite a bit for double sided adhesive foam tape/strips 1/2" and good luck :(

A Guy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Are these pieces "soft" or are they kind of "stiff"? Just trying to understand if there is a lot of "give" to them or not...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are these pieces "soft" or are they kind of "stiff"? Just trying to understand if there is a lot of "give" to them or not...
They do give. If you are familiar with 1/2" thick "Armaflex" pipe insulation...it is similar, but a little stiffer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Something else I found on Ebay that might help out. The Mopar push pins - part# 6506132AA are $3.80 ea. I found the same thing on Ebay for a fraction of the cost...$7.99 for 50 of them shipped! They showed up today and they are an exact match. They only show 3 lots left so if anyone needs them you better hurry.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finished installing the cladding today and it came out perfect.The foam came with adhesive on both sides and it is aggressive.Holds very well and the cladding is nice and straight.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,571 Posts
Ad says adhesive one side, did you just luck out? Glad you got it sorted ;)

A Guy

Reactions: Mr onetwo

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They custom made it for me at my request.I just went out my shop to check and it is flawless.We'll see how it does in 95 plus degree heat today. First road trip since I bought her....stoked! The adhesive is much stronger than the factory adhesive.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I took my time and cleaned the cladding with denatured alcohol and the car body 1st with MEK and then DA.I think it pays off to be super clean when dealing with this type of adhesive.

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
484 Posts
Something else I found on Ebay that might help out. The Mopar push pins - part# 6506132AA are $3.80 ea. I found the same thing on Ebay for a fraction of the cost...$7.99 for 50 of them shipped! They showed up today and they are an exact match. They only show 3 lots left so if anyone needs them you better hurry.
Thanks for the tip, just ordered some myself.

for my mud flaps I ended up using plastic rivets instead because I wanted them to y
stay more solid but I'm sure I'll run into some instances to use some of these and they are ridiculous from the dealer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts