Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first encountered this issue a few months back, but my car started on the second attempt.Then it happened again twice in a two day period and I’m looking into potential issues.

When it stops, all my lights stay on and I’ve read I need to open my door to shut them off, and when I start it again, it runs fine.
My best guess currently is I need to replace my spark plugs as my car is at 107k miles and I’m unaware if the previous owners changed them.
Any other ideas of what it could be?
My cold air intake filter is clean and I have no warning lights, and I have my mechanic coming to see if it’s throwing any codes tomorrow.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,662 Posts
I first encountered this issue a few months back, but my car started on the second attempt.Then it happened again twice in a two day period and I’m looking into potential issues.

When it stops, all my lights stay on and I’ve read I need to open my door to shut them off, and when I start it again, it runs fine.
My best guess currently is I need to replace my spark plugs as my car is at 107k miles and I’m unaware if the previous owners changed them.
Any other ideas of what it could be?
My cold air intake filter is clean and I have no warning lights, and I have my mechanic coming to see if it’s throwing any codes tomorrow.
Plugs may be due for a change -- if their mileage is 107K miles probably past due for a change -- but the plugs are not the cause of the behavior you report.

I have another vehicle a 2020 MY vehicle that would start then die just moments after. No drama. Just like someone flipped a switch. It would restart ok. In the case of my vehicle that at least once the CEL came on upon restart. The tech read these and the codes pointed to a low pressure fuel pump problem.

The engine would not die after the 1st start all the time. Turned out the in tank fuel pump was bad. After this was replaced unfortunately there proved to be some other issues which had the engine manifesting pretty much the same behavior, other issues which were sorted.

The vehicle was fine until a few days after I got it back -- IIRC the last time in September of last year -- I cold started the engine. It ran ok -- some idling then some slow speed driving around my apartment complex -- then on the way to the street around a sharp but slow speed turn the engine sputtered a bit then died. It restarted. Turned out the replacement in tank fuel pump -- replaced in April of last year -- had failed very much like the original fuel pump. The new pump lasted under 6 months and 5K miles.

Your car's problem may not be fuel pump. I like and 2nd what Wm Internet Rock DJ suggested. A fuel pump that appears to have just quit working outright the fuse then the relay is checked. In the case of what could be an intermittent fuel pump issue the relay is checked. In my vehicle's case the tech did this and then as per the factory guidelines -- the vehicle was (still is) under warranty -- he dropped the fuel tank and inspected the in tank fuel pump and found it showing signs of failure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts