Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a strut bar in my car. There a problem I think the strut bar is in contact with the top back of the engine(as shown in the picture) I was wondering if it's okay to leave it like that or if there's a better solution to it. I hear and feel the engine hitting it when I start it up and when I idle. Not to sure about when driving. I was also concerned about the hoses if it's okay to leave them in that position.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Unfortunately that is not good. I would take pictures of it before you uninstall it or take it like that to where you bought it and see if it can be returned due to a fitment issue.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,842 Posts
That seems off-nominal for sure. The engine will rock side to side from the torque of sudden throttle application, and the suspension will remain stationary (for the most part), leaving the intake plenum to continually rub against that strut bar.

I don’t think I would feel comfortable leaving that like it is without some sort of attempt to “fix” it.

Did the engine have the plastic cover on it originally (says 3.6L VVT on it IIRC)?

I would think if that cover fit without rubbing the cowl, the strut bar should fit without rubbing the intake, but maybe not...

·
Premium Member
10,517 Posts
To the best of our knowledge the Mopar brace is made to fit the 2005-2019 5.7L/6.1L/392/6.4L.

Our front strut brace sits a bit differently when installed see the link below for photos:

- Alexis

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
Even if it is the wrong brace for the 3.6, those holes in it means it needs to be bolted to your cowl panel.

I went with the Petty brace. No drilling required. Don't mind the snake like thing on the strut bar. They are LED lights that clearly needed adjusting. :ROFLMAO:

IMG_3913 (Copy).JPG

·
Premium Member
6,842 Posts
Even if it is the wrong brace for the 3.6, those holes in it means it needs to be bolted to your cowl panel.

I went with the Petty brace. No drilling required. Don't mind the snake like thing on the strut bar. They are LED lights that clearly needed adjusting. :ROFLMAO:

You should tidy up that wiring! I had the same thing going on with my audio wiring in my trunk, and when the cops pulled me over and saw it, they freaked out and treated me like some kind of serial killer or something.

Reactions: MEKrunner

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,555 Posts
Mopar never made a Strut Tower Brace for the 3.6L cars

A Guy

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
404 Posts
As far as I know, the Mopar strut tower brace should be touching (and bolted to) the cowl panel - that square tubing is actually the factory "wheelhouse/front shock tower brace" for the car.

Seems the issue is incompatibility with the V6 engine. Most listings for the part - Mopar P5155950 - include 5.7L & 6.4L engines while specifically excluding the 6.2L and Shaker. The pricey small triangulation Mopar Performance P5160082 strut tower braces for the Shaker should work, if not there's definitely some aftermarket options.

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
View attachment 997731

You should tidy up that wiring! I had the same thing going on with my audio wiring in my trunk, and when the cops pulled me over and saw it, they freaked out and treated me like some kind of serial killer or something.

View attachment 997732
Dear Mister engine bay inspector, I get your point. I'm just lazy when it comes to making things tidy. I can never top what is inside your trunk. Even a rat wouldn't know what wire to chew on first.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,555 Posts

A Guy

Reactions: Roukai

·
Premium Member
23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,842 Posts
Dear Mister engine bay inspector, I get your point. I'm just lazy when it comes to making things tidy. I can never top what is inside your trunk. Even a rat wouldn't know what wire to chew on first.
When you’re right, you’re right! So I decided to clean up the wiring situation in my trunk, whaddya think, better?

Reactions: MEKrunner

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body
13 Posts
Can I ask where you got the strut covers? I need them for a 2020 Scat Pack. If you have a part number that would be get. Thx

·
Premium Member
6,842 Posts
Can I ask where you got the strut covers? I need them for a 2020 Scat Pack. If you have a part number that would be get. Thx
Those likely came as part of the strut bar product package. I haven't seen ones like that for sale separately anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,555 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,555 Posts
OK, literally 1 minute of searching, lol

A Guy

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body
13 Posts
thx but would they work with the Mopar strut tower brace ?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,555 Posts
It's what he has on his Petty strut bar, so imagine they would, they are just covers

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
OK. Here is the story of my strut brace covers. I bought them on E-Bay. They are chrome, but they don't screw on. They are held on by black RTV They just fit over the existing nuts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts