Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone. I'm looking at a 2014 SXT that is for sale at a local dealership. It has 58,000 miles, looks great, and the Carfax shows routine maintenance. I test drove the vehicle today and it wouldn't go over 40mph or 3500rpm and the check engine light came on while I was driving. Took it back to the dealer and he drove it and had the same issue and said the mechanic would fix it. Other than this issue, the car is great and a good price. Is this a problem anyone else has experienced and fixed? Could this be something that happens often if I buy the car? Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
I don’t think you get up to 40mph if it were in limp mode. Who knows what the issue(s) can be. Have them tell you the whole story and put it in writing. If they fix it and you decide to buy it, ask for extended warranty on the dealer’s dime.

·
Registered
9,047 Posts
Too many good used Challengers on the market to start out with a potential long term headache.

Move on and keep looking.

·
Super Moderator
14,412 Posts
Hey, everyone. I'm looking at a 2014 SXT that is for sale at a local dealership. It has 58,000 miles, looks great, and the Carfax shows routine maintenance. I test drove the vehicle today and it wouldn't go over 40mph or 3500rpm and the check engine light came on while I was driving. Took it back to the dealer and he drove it and had the same issue and said the mechanic would fix it. Other than this issue, the car is great and a good price. Is this a problem anyone else has experienced and fixed? Could this be something that happens often if I buy the car? Thanks in advance for any advice.
if the dealer can't repair the issue successfully, move on.

potential issues:
>different tire sizes (if dealer replaced some but not all tires)
>ABS sensor / harness / tone ring problem
>transmission conductor plate
>transmission solenoid issue

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
If car is in limp mode then one or more DTCs have been triggered. Dealer should be able to pull the code to see what is causing all the fuss but I would walk away from this one...unless they give you a real good deal or extended warranty.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
+1 on walking away.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
you do know that challengers will go into limp mode if the battery level is too low / or the batt was dead /has died and they jumped it thru the under hood terminal it just enough to bump it over and start but didnt fully charge it. A full batt charge with cables off, and car restart will generally clear that up.
YES - it really could be that simple.
..or it could be something else more serious.
if you are really concerned after the dealer gives it the "all clear" have it evaluated by another mechanic, but its not uncommon for a car thats sat on the dealer lot for 3-6 months to have a dead battery.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I had a 2013 300c with the A5 that would "miss" the occasional shift and go into limp mode - used to happen about once a year. The trick is, it could happen on the highway and the car would go into neutral and you coasted to a stop and restarted the car. After that, things were normal again... till the next time.

The trouble code it would throw was "incorrect gear for speed" or something. Even with the valve body replaced under warranty, the car had that issue. As others have said, I would run from that 2014 SXT - A really good service department spent time and money trying to fix mine and it was never fixed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts