Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
I have a 2015 dodge challenger 392 srt 6.4L 6 speed with 51k miles and it started throwing camshaft sensor errors. The dealership couldn't find any thing wrong and cleared the codes and said to watch and see if it returns . Well it did . The engine cut power and camshaft error code came back . I always do my own oil changes and decided I would check it. This engine has suffered a major failure after cutting open the oil filter and finding metal metallic everywhere . So I pulled the intake manifold and pulled the oil control valve and found what I feared . Metal everywhere all over half the oil control valve . Anyone have any experience with this ? I'm thinking its lifter camshaft failure but just wanted your thoughts before I go tearing it apart .

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,706 Posts
I have no idea, but is that stuff steel or aluminum?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
MDS strikes again. You still under the limit for powertrain warranty? Looks like you’re real close.

·
Premium Member
4,706 Posts
MDS strikes again. You still under the limit for powertrain warranty? Looks like you’re real close.
Why is that everyone's instant reaction? A 6 speed car would not have MDS, correct?

Reactions: Sully’s Hemi

·
Premium Member
4,706 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,091 Posts
I have a 2015 SRT, 6 speed too. Just about to turn 40k mikes. Have to say that your pics make me nervous. I’ll be watching closely. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a 2015 SRT, 6 speed too. Just about to turn 40k mikes. Have to say that your pics make me nervous. I’ll be watching closely. Good luck.
The tell tell sign i knew something was going on was everytime I would check the oil dipstick I would use a clean paper towel and would always see metallic on thr paper towel after wiping it . The dealer said it was from the dipstick. Boy were they wrong. Heres some photos showing the metallic on the paper towel after checking the dipstick .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I decided to stick a boroscope down each cylinder to look for anything and found number 8 cylinder walls to be scored pretty bad.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Holy ****. I know you said you did your oil changes yourself, I am in no way going to doubt your ability to maintain your car. However that almost looks like it was ran dry or low on oil long enough, at some point. I don't know the circumstances though. I was going to say you should pull the oil pan and check for debris next, but it's looking like you need a new engine anyway. That sucks.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,901 Posts

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
827 Posts
With that much metal running through the engine, it's very likely that the bearings are all ruined. It looks like oil splash was not hitting the cylinder. New engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seen reports of this happening elsewhere on internet on hemis. Lifter gets seized up and starts eating the cam shaft. I think when dealer pulls oil control valve and sees all the metal they don't try to fix it after that too much trash metal. They put new motor in, here's hoping you still got a warranty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Seen reports of this happening elsewhere on internet on hemis. Lifter gets seized up and starts eating the cam shaft. I think when dealer pulls oil control valve and sees all the metal they don't try to fix it after that too much trash metal. They put new motor in, here's hoping you still got a warranty.

So on the mds engines yes . The non mds engines like Arrington Performance said this dosnt happen to often like the mds setup.

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
there's definitely a significant issue - between the metallic particles (probably lifter roller bearing and cam lobe) and the metal sludge is bearing material.

The scuffing in the cylinder walls is further evidence - probably have restriction in the oil passages in the crank and elsewhere.

The cylinder walls normally would have a sheen to them and often you can still see the honing unless its a really high mile engine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts