Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my 2015 has been doing a couple strange things while driving around. One is when it is not warmed up yet, the shift from 1st to 2nd allows a ton of slippage, and the RPMs go way up before shifting into 2nd. I've seen some others saying similar things.

The other one, I haven't heard anyone mention is that if I roll up to a stop, and try to go immediately, the engine revs, like I'm holding the brake or in neutral, and then it suddenly jerks into motion. Usually, it happens when I don't completely stop, but am only going 1-2 MPH, but sometimes it will do it when I am completely stopped first, too.

I had it at the local dealer last week, and they said there were no codes, and wanted to charge me $119 to tell me that, but I made them go on a ride with me, so they could see I wan't making it up. They kept the car overnight, and the next day they wiped it clean, and relearned it. It is doing the exact same things, immediately after the relearn, so it isn't that it had learned to do that, for some unknown reason.

So, my first question, is does anyone else experience this? It is easiest to replicate when I'm waiting in line at a 4-way stop. When I get to the front, and it's my turn to go, I tap the brakes to stop, and then give it the gas, and it hangs for a second, and then slams into gear, sometimes halfway violently. My wife's 9-speed Cherokee will do something similar, and it is like it doesn't know what first gear is until you are about to get t-boned, and then it suddenly downshifts and goes, but the Challenger feels different, like it's being held back, not just being confused.

Anyway, do any of you guys with the A8 have similar experiences? Getting Chrysler to care and honor their warranty is nearly impossible, especially without multiple trips to the delaership, wasting my time and theirs.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
693 Posts
Only thing I can think of is that the Transmission oil isn't hot enough...Mine will kinda do that first minute or two in AM too...Especially if I do it in manual mode using paddles...Clears up very quickly though...

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it do both of the items I've described, or just the flare shift from 1-2? I only experience the flare shift right after starting the car, but the other one, where it's like someone is holding the brakes happens all of the time. I will give it gas after stopping, especially a 1-2 mph rolling stop, and it's like someone is holding the RPMs at 3000 in neutral, and then suddenly pulling it into drive.

I had a similar issue with my 2004 Hemi Ram back in 2009, and the dealership had to replace clutch packs in the transmission. It was being starved for fluid at times, and had damage. It was never low on fluid, and only had 29,000 miles on it at the time.

I didn't know it until after I bought it, but this was a Pilot car, and I'm afraid it was driven really hard. They replaced the engine at 29,000 miles, and maybe the transmission needed it, too. The rear end was really gunky looking when we drained it last week.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I kind of expected to see a few people jump in and tell their experiences, either good or bad about their 8-speed automatics. Is everyone else happy with the way their transmissions shift? If so, I really need to get on the dealership about getting this thing working correctly. I only have a little less than two years of warranty left, and drive it only during the summer. They want me to drive it a thousand miles so it can "learn" but that is just bring warranty time. It did the exact same thing after their work that is was doing before.

Has anyone contacted SRT to discuss issues on their cars?

Thanks.

·
Registered
14,272 Posts
if I roll up to a stop, and try to go immediately, the engine revs, like I'm holding the brake or in neutral, and then it suddenly jerks into motion.
My 16 will do this but many automatics will as well. As you run up to the stop the trans fluid in the pan is forced forward so there could be a moment when the trans could see a pressure drop and this would cause the car not to move. You should always try to wait a second or two to give the trans to downshift and stay pumped up before getting back on the gas.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand what you're saying, but if engineers can't design a transmission pickup that stays in the oil and can keep the pressure up in stop and go traffic, they need to find a different job. Especially in a performance transmission. I'm not braking hard. This is waiting in line at a four way stop. I am decelerating from 5 mph to 2 mph, and then trying to go. If you stop for two seconds, you will be rear-ended. And sometimes, it does it when I am completely stopped, waiting for a break in traffic, and then when I try to go, it revs and rolls forward slowly, like it's in 4th gear or something, and then suddenly slams into first.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, there have been a couple. One was supposed to help with the downshift clunk, that I don't experience often. The dealership says that I have the latest flash, and none are available. But they applied the latest one again, and wiped and "relearned" the transmission, but the issues I'm reporting haven't changed at all.

Another thing I notice is that when it's in sport or track mode, and I am accelerating some of the shift are very quick, like I'd expect, and some of them hiccup, and are really jerky. Like, the car lurches forward and back after the shift a few times.

I think Chrysler or whoever was driving the car during its time in the pilot program drove the car really hard, and the transmission has internal issues, like burned clutches, etc. The dealer thought it was very important to show me that the rear end had metal in the fluid, until they found out that it had previously been owned by Chrysler, and was still under warranty. It was suddenly very normal, and didn't need any further attention. It also seems strange that the engine was replaced at 29,000 miles. The dealership says it's obvious that someone replaced one of the axleshafts at some point, but Chrysler never documented that. No one except Chrysler or myself have owned this car.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I do have a downshift clunk when downshifting to 1st, no other issues that I've noticed besides that.

My wife had a 2015 Cherokee with that horrible ZF 9 speed trans.
That thing shifted when it wanted to or didn't!!
Thousands of complaints about that trans, same trans in the Chrysler 200.
There are all kinds of flashes for that trans for hesitation, slamming into gear, you name it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Its hard to find a good dealer or at least one you can trust especially with what you have going on. Is there another dealer close you can take it too? Dont tell them you already had another dealership look at it and then compare the two stories you get to help narrow things down. Of course keep documents to prove the dealership wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
My wife has a 2015 Cherokee, too. The way that things acts, it's gonna get people killed. Seriously.
Yep, should be a recall on that trans.

I was coming out of a parking lot one day and you know how sometimes you misjudge how fast a car is coming? I gave it about half to 3/4 throttle and for about 2 seconds it just sat there, did nothing and then bam it slammed into gear and took off!!

Worse auto trans I ever drove glad we traded it for a Mazda CX5 SUV.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The next closest one is about 30 miles away, and I know they suck for service, too.

There are really no good FCA dealerships around here. This one that I am dealing with is Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram. Back before they bought everyone else out, at least I could try one of the others.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
My 15 scat A8 does the same exact thing! I always assumed it was trying to use 2nd gear but then deciding to use 1st causing the delay. It is a pain in the ass. I also get the slippage shifting from 1 to 2 when it's cold. I have found that putting the car in neutral or drive while it warms up helps prevent it. I'm going to make a stink soon about it before my warranty is up.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From the reading I've been doing, people seem to average five dealer visits before they get much real work done, so don't wait too long.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,833 Posts
Does the same thing happen in autostick? A Guy

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have a 16 SP that does the same thing from 1-2 in the AM and twice it's done what you're describing in your 2nd paragraph. My wife got all pissy because she thought I jerked the car on purpose. All I did was hit the gas a lil bit, it did nothing, the suddenly jerked forward. It happened to do it when she was complaining about my driving. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT Plus
71 Posts
I have a 2015 RT A8, I too have had the slow part throttle go no where while it decides what gear it wants. I've also had it happen below 30 mph when I want to goose it and move through traffic. Hit the gas, it hesitates, and then it will rev to 3000-5000RPM in what seems to be 1st gear and hold it. It stays there unless I lift off the throttle. This has now happened 3 times. All 3 times the car was in normal driving mode, not sport. I don't have the 1-2 cold shift issue.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't see that issue in my 2017 with the A8. Sounds like the transmission is having an issue with it's clutch. Probably the only way they will find out is taking the trans apart and looking over the internals. I would keep pushing them to look into it until they actually troubleshoot the issue and look at the malfunctioning part.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts