Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I decide to get a 2015 - I am torn on the options for the black satin hood and sunroof.

First, my current Challenger "has" a sunroof - but I don't use it much. I am considering not going with one on my next car. If I go without the sunroof - do I gain extra headroom? Do I lose headroom? How does that work again? And how much difference in headroom is there? Normally - I ride with the visor closed anyway and my head doesn't hit and I' 6'3" (although it is close).

Second - how hard will the black satin hood be to maintain/take care of? I have never had a car with one and am wondering if there are special things that will need to be done when washing/waxing the car. For some reason, I am thinking we should not wax this type of hood - but is that truly the case for this factory option?

Thanks for any input you guys can share.

JFF:D

·
Registered
505 Posts
You'll gain a modicom of room but not much without the sunroof from my experience test driving Challengers with and without sunroofs. I'm 6'2 and am much farther from the roof as you are with the sunroof so I'm curious as to why you're so close. I've adjusted my drivers seat down as low as it can go and have quite a few inches of room.

I'm not sure if the hood is matte from the paint job or if it has vinyl installed. If it's vinyl, the best bet is to stay away from it when waxing. I have vinyl decals that are matte on my car and I stay away with no problems. For safety's sake, there are certain waxes that are ok for vinyl. See the FAQ on RiderGraphix: RiderGraphix for all of your Graphic Needs...!!!!

If it's painted matte, I'm not sure the process of care. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
no sunroof should gain you approx. 2" extra headroom.....satin hood is vinyl wrapped

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Source for the hood being vinyl wrapped? I highly doubt that it is, doesn't make sense. I currently have a matte/flat/satin black hood right now but not going to get it on my Hellcat because I plan to vinyl wrap it at some point later, and it would be cheaper than $995.

Now, if it IS painted like I believe it is, then yes it will require more maintenance than 'normal' paint. In order to achieve the matte/flat look, a matte/flat clearcoat is used instead of a normal shiny clearcoat on top of the base black. You should NOT use your normal car care products on it, whether it is wash soap, polish, cleaner or wax.

I have separate products (Dr. Beasley's) that I use just for the matte/flat paint on the hood and bumper in front of the hood. This includes soap, cleaner spray, sealant which are made specifically for this type of finish.

Now, if it is vinyl wrapped, it will be much less maintenance... but if it is, that seems to be a crazy price.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,428 Posts
Why in the world did they not paint the hood instead of using a vinal cover?

1. Cheaper
2. In case you change your mind later, simply peel off.

Standard wheels
Driver Convenience Group
Leather Interior Group
Sound Group II
8.4 Uconnect (No Nav)
Technology Group

Passed on:
Scat Pack Appearance Group - didn't want grill blacked out
Dodge Stripes - have my own ideas in mind!
Sun Roof - having A/C is "un-muscle car enough!"

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 392
1,536 Posts
Source for the hood being vinyl wrapped? I highly doubt that it is, doesn't make sense. I currently have a matte/flat/satin black hood right now but not going to get it on my Hellcat because I plan to vinyl wrap it at some point later, and it would be cheaper than $995.

Now, if it is vinyl wrapped, it will be much less maintenance... but if it is, that seems to be a crazy price.

I would think at $1000 it's painted...and they have clear coat that is matte or satin now so maintenance can be ABOUT the same... Personally my 12 is wrapped and I plan to go that route again...clear bra front end and wrap hood and mirrors/door handles all satin with a custom cut in the hood that I won't disclose yet . ;)

·
Registered
2,294 Posts

Now, if it IS painted like I believe it is, then yes it will require more maintenance than 'normal' paint. In order to achieve the matte/flat look, a matte/flat clearcoat is used instead of a normal shiny clearcoat on top of the base black. You should NOT use your normal car care products on it, whether it is wash soap, polish, cleaner or wax.

I have separate products (Dr. Beasley's) that I use just for the matte/flat paint on the hood and bumper in front of the hood. This includes soap, cleaner spray, sealant which are made specifically for this type of finish.

Ever seen a Camaro 1LE? >>>> black vinyl wrapped hood <<<< :lookaround:

That being said.....ok I am not 100% sure since the 2015's are new, but I would almost bet money it will be a vinyl wrap

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 392
1,536 Posts
And on the sunroof...if you ever plan to wear a helmet in the car I'd suggest NOT getting a sunroof...the ceiling is about 2" lower with the motor, bracing, etc when you have the sunroof. My next one won't have it...sometimes I may miss it but for the most part it was a waste of money to get it on my current SRT.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I would think at $1000 it's painted...and they have clear coat that is matte or satin now so maintenance can be ABOUT the same... Personally my 12 is wrapped and I plan to go that route again...clear bra front end and wrap hood and mirrors/door handles all satin with a custom cut in the hood that I won't disclose yet . ;)
Yes I know there is a matte/flat/satin clearcoat, I mentioned it in my post. :D It's exactly what is on my car and you really should not use normal products on it. Theoretically, since it's just flat, you could polish it enough and it would get to be more of a glossy black.

If it's not a vinyl wrap for the hood option, I predict some not so happy owners in the future when their hood doesn't look quite right. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts