Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious what you guys with 2015 and up are getting for mileage on your brake pads. I got just under 25,000 on my 2011 SRT before they had to be replaced. On my 2015 SRT, I'm just under 15,000 and I'm starting to get a constant squeal just as I come to a stop. Now, these types of pads will squeal now and then, but this is that typical worn down type of squeal. But I'm just having trouble believing I need new pads already at under 15000 miles. Its not like I've been tracking it or anything, just going to work and back mostly.

Could be nothing, but curious what some of you guys are getting. Figure some of you have put on a lot more miles than I have by now.

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
458 Posts
When I replaced my stock Brembo's with Powerstops at 30,000 miles I had tons of life left on them. I did have a lot of highway driving tho.

That was one of the first mods on the new SRT and I have new pads for 3 of the 4 corners. Interestingly one of the pads on the right front was cracked and when I removed it a chunk fell out. Oh well, so much for selling those pads. Really doesn't matter tho. Getting rid of the dust was the goal!!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I replaced my stock Brembo's with Powerstops at 30,000 miles I had tons of life left on them. I did have a lot of highway driving tho.

That was one of the first mods on the new SRT and I have new pads for 3 of the 4 corners. Interestingly one of the pads on the right front was cracked and when I removed it a chunk fell out. Oh well, so much for selling those pads. Really doesn't matter tho. Getting rid of the dust was the goal!!
Thanks. Yes, the dust is ungodly with the stock pads. I do mostly suburban driving, but it is a lot of stop-n-go and I have some twisty roads near my house I like to push it a bit when I want to unwind after work, so I'm not surprised to go through pads after 25K-30K, but 15K just seems nuts.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,371 Posts
No squeaking of any sort on mine. I've got a '15 SRT and I'm shocked at the amount of disk wear I see on the front rotors. I didn't own the car for the first 16k of its short life, as I just bought it, but I can attest to the fact that the brake dust is insane. Already bought powerstops for it, but haven't gotten around to installing them yet. Suggest you do get some Z23's as well before your 800 dollars (apiece) rotors are destroyed by the stock pads.

·
Registered
212 Posts
How does the braking performance compare between stock SRT pads and the Z23 powerstops?

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Last SRT pads I replaced had 35,000 miles on them and were close but still would have passed inspection. Just pull the wheel and look in the caliper with a flashlight to see how much pad is left.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
How does the braking performance compare between stock SRT pads and the Z23 powerstops?
From what I've read, very similar. Since the SRT has such OVERKILL when it comes to the brakes, even if I lose say 5 or 10 percent, what do I care? The brake dust is gone. This is a huge problem on these cars and I for one am glad there's a great cure. Many have complimented these Powerstop pads, on this forum and others as well.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Sad that this thread hasn't garnered more responses. We've done quite of gabbing on this subject since this thread started... elsewhere on the forum. Here's the consensus:
The big issue is not how fast the pads wear, but what happens while they wear. It seems that the biggest concern for every SRT and Hellcat owner is the brake dust. But the bigger problem, and sadly one that hasn't been discussed much, is the wear that OEM brake pads cause to the rotors. Many are reporting that their 34x390mm... 2 piece SRT front rotors are under size and need to be replaced as soon as 35k miles. We've learned that Dodge designed them with a minimum of extra material... but the real bummer is how quickly the stock pads eat through the meager amount of usable rotor material available. Obviously, each driver will have different results, but KNOW that when the rotors are shot, they are extremely expensive to replace. We've found that Powerstop sells replacement rotors for less than half of what factory OEM replacements cost. I found Powerstop Z23 pads (for the 6 piston Brembo front brakes of the SRT392) for less than 55 dollars shipped to my door from Jegs online here: CLICKY
We've also learned that ceramic Z23 pads are less aggressive than the semi-metallic factory pads and I will be measuring rotor wear and putting up some actual numbers on this thread soon.

Performance: recently a forum member put these on this car. He noted that initial bite isn't as "touchy." For me, this is a problem with the factory brakes; my opinion only. I have to be real gentle and careful with the brake pedal. Me thinks that a little more gradual and controllable "initial bite" would be a welcome thing. He also noted that stopping ability seems to be about the same. But if our sources are right, and these pads indeed add some extra miles to these insanely expensive rotors, count me in.
Dust accumulation: the difference is literally night and day.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
...We've also learned that ceramic Z23 pads are less aggressive than the semi-metallic factory pads and are in the process of measuring rotor wear and hoping to put up some actual numbers on the forum soon.
Wanted to make sure these numbers got posted on this thread like i promised.

2915 SRT392, @ 20 k miles... w/6 piston Brembos in front and 4 piston in back:
Front left rotor
Factory: 1.345 current size: 1.292 wear: .053

Front right rotor
Factory: 1.345 current size: 1.299 wear: .046

Both rears were the same
Factory: 1.114 current size 1.094 wear: .015 [EDITED 4/2/18]

Pads for fronts had 25-30% remaining
Rears had 50% remaining

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Front left rotor
Front right rotor
Both rears were the same
Factory: 1.014 current size 1.094 wear: .015

Rears had 50% remaining
Thanks for the info. I have to have my car inspected in the next week or 2 and brake pads are one of the major things they check for in PA. So I'll see what they say about mine as I'm still getting a faint squeal coming to a slow stop. But I haven't driven mine much in the past few months with the winter, just getting it out again. And of course, my wheels are black already from the dust.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have to have my car inspected in the next week or 2 and brake pads are one of the major things they check for in PA. So I'll see what they say about mine as I'm still getting a faint squeal coming to a slow stop. But I haven't driven mine much in the past few months with the winter, just getting it out again. And of course, my wheels are black already from the dust.
I just finished putting new pads and rotors on a 2012 Honda CRV for a friend. I will tell you this, I could do all 4 pads on the Challenger in less time than it took me to do one wheel on that Honda. The Challenger is super easy to replace pads. Doesn't even require any wrenches. Love the design of those Brembos.

·
Registered
486 Posts

Front left rotor
Front right rotor
Both rears were the same
Factory: 1.014 current size 1.094 wear: .015

Rears had 50% remaining
Good information!
Looks like you may have a typo on the Rear rotor sizes. Perhaps current size was suppose to read 0.999
Another useful piece of information would be the MINIMUM allowable thickness.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Good information!
Looks like you may have a typo on the Rear rotor sizes. Perhaps current size was suppose to read 0.999
Another useful piece of information would be the MINIMUM allowable thickness.
Thank you. Can't believe I did that. I was both a math teacher and a machinist: numbers should be my forte. But, once again, I'm reminded the "old gray mare just ain't what she used to be." I'll get those factory original rear rotor dimensions corrected to read 1.114 :)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Something else to note about brake rotor wear:

The front pads on my SRT wore perhaps 30% faster than the rears. Side note: this is interesting as they are something like 3 times the size of the rears. However, I'm told that the front brakes do 75% of the braking duties. Whatever... I just thought that was interesting.

But here's the important info: the front ROTORS wore 300% as the rears (or 3 times as fast). Just looking at simple math, the rotors not only wore faster on the front than they did on the rear, the percentage of wear was 10 times that of the pads. Though the front pads wore a little faster (30 %) than the rears, the front ROTORS wore a great deal more (300%) than the rears. I would argue that we can expect... not only that the front rotors will wear a lot faster than the rears, but that they'll wear 3 times as fast, just as mine did. Though the actual amount of wear will differ from car to car, it is VERY likely that the percentage of front wear vs rear wear... will be the same on every SRT. What ever your rear disks wear, it's likely that the front disks will wear 3 times as much.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Thank you. Can't believe I did that. I was both a math teacher and a machinist: numbers should be my forte. But, once again, I'm reminded the "old gray mare just ain't what she used to be." I'll get those factory original rear rotor dimensions corrected to read 1.114 :)
Well you're only human!
Funny though, I always liked math and my son who could have whizzed through engineering became a high school math teacher. I always thought it may have had something to do with teachers having summers off.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Something else to note about brake rotor wear:

The front pads on my SRT wore perhaps 30% faster than the rears. Side note: this is interesting as they are something like 3 times the size of the rears. However, I'm told that the front brakes do 75% of the braking duties. Whatever... I just thought that was interesting.

But here's the important info: the front ROTORS wore 300% as the rears (or 3 times as fast). Just looking at simple math, the rotors not only wore faster on the front than they did on the rear, the percentage of wear was 10 times that of the pads. Though the front pads wore a little faster (30 %) than the rears, the front ROTORS wore a great deal more (300%) than the rears. I would argue that we can expect... not only that the front rotors will wear a lot faster than the rears, but that they'll wear 3 times as fast, just as mine did. Though the actual amount of wear will differ from car to car, it is VERY likely that the percentage of front wear vs rear wear... will be the same on every SRT. What ever your rear disks wear, it's likely that the front disks will wear 3 times as much.
Just a follow up. I had all 4 pads replaced with Powerstop Z23s last week. What a difference. No sound, dead quiet, and a lot less "bite" as others have said. Instead of that initial grab where it feels like you're going to go through the windshield sometimes, these just grab normally and you apply more pressure as needed. Solid feel, but just not as much grip as the Brembos. But for street driving, perfectly fine.

Best part, after 200 some miles of stop and go in my commute, no dust. Not a spec on the wheels. I've never cleaned my wheels and then seen them clean a week later. Should have done this within the first week of buying the car. I get another one of these cars in a few years, I'll swap out the Brembos within the first month.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Just a follow up. I had all 4 pads replaced with Powerstop Z23s last week. What a difference. No sound, dead quiet, and a lot less "bite" as others have said. Instead of that initial grab where it feels like you're going to go through the windshield sometimes, these just grab normally and you apply more pressure as needed. Solid feel, but just not as much grip as the Brembos. But for street driving, perfectly fine.

Best part, after 200 some miles of stop and go in my commute, no dust. Not a spec on the wheels. I've never cleaned my wheels and then seen them clean a week later. Should have done this within the first week of buying the car. I get another one of these cars in a few years, I'll swap out the Brembos within the first month.
That's great to hear. I have them sitting in a box waiting to be installed. I had a squeal start at 3,000 miles 6 months ago and it's the most embarrassing sound.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Glad we're garnering some feedback on this issue. I spent a lot of time online and on the phone trying to track down info on Z23 pads and Powerstop rotors. Really glad that Powerstop has stepped up to manufacture quality rotors that cost much less than factory replacements. I'm enjoying my Z23 pads thus far. No more fighting with the dust. Hurray!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts