Dodge Challenger Forum banner

181 - 190 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well of course it's amplified or there would be no sound >:) There may indeed be no external amplifier, but if so, it would be in the head unit. Must mean the 276 watt system just doesn't use the head units amplification, but uses a line out to the amp. A Guy
There is no external amp in my system.... Which, goes against everything I have read. Even the speakers are different... Cheaper, junk.... Wish I had taken pictures of them before I threw them in the trash.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
349 Posts
The factory 276w amp is under the lower area of the steering column just about right over your feet. If you remove the large panel down there you can see it...should be a silverish/gray color and rectangular. Here's a photo of one. :eyemouth:

-------------------------------------------------------//---------------

·
Registered
349 Posts
There is no external amp in my system.... Which, goes against everything I have read. Even the speakers are different... Cheaper, junk.... Wish I had taken pictures of them before I threw them in the trash.

You have the base radio, which is a either a 5" or 7" Uconnect depending on your year without an external powered amp. Unless you ordered an SXT/Plus or an RT/Plus or another higher up trim level it won't have the 276 watt amp equipped Sound Group 1 system. As far as I know that 276w SG-1 system was bundled in with other option packages and not available by itself as an option.

----------------------------------------------------//-------

·
Registered
223 Posts
You have the base radio, which is a either a 5" or 7" Uconnect depending on your year without an external powered amp. Unless you ordered an SXT/Plus or an RT/Plus or another higher up trim level it won't have the 276 watt amp equipped Sound Group 1 system. As far as I know that 276w SG-1 system was bundled in with other option packages and not available by itself as an option.

----------------------------------------------------//-------
I have the Uconnect 130 AM/FM/CD/MP3 stereo, which has a 6 speaker system in my 2014 Blacktop Edition RT. 100% it doesn't have amp.

I'm wondering if an amp from a BA system can be added plug and play. Specifically, from my 2005 Magnum, or any other?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ended up buying this amp to put under my dash. Made things easy since I fit right above the glove box, but can probably find more spots under there... The only issue I have with it, it doesn't have a gain dial, instead it has 2 poison high and low..... Kinda makes it difficult to tune.
But it sounds excellent. But wish I had realized it didnt have a gain dial....

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_71986_Clarion-XC1410.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=dsa_dynamic_search_campaign&utm_keyword=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwodrXBRCzARIsAIU59TLsnO-gIAkAOKcLb3vvhqaYl-21iJBkkUPEwvLcfcq7bKqzaf9XSN4aAioREALw_wcB

·
Registered
349 Posts
Don't the 2017 and 2018 have 9 speekers?
The 2017 Challenger has a 5.0" Uconnect radio system with 6-speakers and no amp as standard equipment and is standard on the SXT, R/T, R/T Shaker, and T/A models. The other Uconnect stereos are optional or packaged with uplevel models such as the SXT Plus, RT Plus and T/A Plus models. These are Sound Group I, which includes six Alpine speakers and a 276-watt amplifier. Next up comes the available Sound Group II with nine Alpine speakers, a subwoofer and a 506-watt amplifier. Top dog (if you want to push it to the limit with 900 watts and two subwoofers) is the available 18-speaker Harman Kardon Premium Sound Group. The SRT392 and Hellcat get the 18 speaker Harmon Kardon system as standard equipment with the 8.4 Unconnect radio also standard.

The 2018 Challenger has a 7.0 Uconnect radio system as standard equipment to improve over the previously used 5.0 system. It features Apple CarPlay and Android Auto and is standard on the SXT, R/T, R/T Shaker, and T/A models. All the previous years Sound Group I and II Systems, as well as the 18-speaker Harman Kardon Premium Sound Group, remain as optional or are included in uplevel models/packages. The SRT392 and Hellcat again feature the 18 speaker Harmon Kardon system as standard equipment with the 8.4 Unconnect radio also standard.

There may be other combinations, as Dodge kind of gets crazy with their combinations of equipment in the various model and option packages, but to the best of my knowledge the pure, base, entry level SXT models have 6 speakers without an amp.

-----------------------------------//----

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you tell location of factory amp? And if so, is it possible to use the output clip from factory amp to run inside speakers off of an after market amp using factory wires to speakers? Want to add 5 channel amp to run insides and 2 12" subs in the only front firing custom box they have on Ebay. Would rather not have to run new speaker wire through out whole car if it's possible to just use factory and run just to clip.
Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
...of my knowledge the pure, base, entry level SXT models have 6 speakers without an amp.
I have been going through my base system bit by bit...

1st 6 1/2 Kappas in the rear - didn't add much - may recover them back for other use.
Used 3/4 hole adapters from speakers.
2nd 6 1/2 Kappas in the front doors - small volume increase, MAJOR clarity increase.
Used Metra 82-6901 5/6 to 6X9 adapters.

My experience and research finds - The RA2 has 4 outs, post fader, all full range, and the dash speakers are paralleled straight off the doors, no remote crossover or effect found so far, just tagged parallel. (I expect there may be a cap at the dash speaker itself, not shown in wiring.)

My rears were unmarked, doors were marked 4 ohms, other's dashes are marked 8 ohms, simple DC that would be 2.7 ohms (it's more complicated than that, but it's a start.) It certainly makes 2.7 ohm speakers 'safe'.

Prints for audio systems:

BBB Industries- Premium Alternators, Starters, Power Steering Products and Turbochargers | TSB's & Wiring Diagrams

fill in form, hit "Wiring Diagrams", search!

I have 7 or 8 stereo and 5.1 systems in my house, and have gotten sick of the 'pretend' soundstage of car audio (L/R to balance for driver position, F/R until it's just 'there' - yech!)
Anyone else?
I'm gonna try 4 tiny dash speakers as though 2 desktop systems for driver/passenger to locate the image. Will probably move rear feed to doors and door feed to drive dash, and thus keep fader action to test.

181 - 190 of 190 Posts