Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 12823 Posts

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Hmm, I wonder if this 6.2L will have.........

1) Aluminum block
2) Direct injection
3) Still use Speed Density for the air and fuel metering. (maybe go to Mass Air Flow?)

·
Premium Member
4,356 Posts
Quite interesting. It is interesting to see how they are shaving weight off of this car. I am glad they are freshening it to keep this car going.

I do hope that more retro colors are coming and they keep one or two in for the entire model year instead of a two month run.

Thanks RESUMESPEED for your insight.

·
Registered
999 Posts
So, I have a year to either expand my garage, or buy a house with a larger one.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Subscribed

... and am really curious to know if the 6.2 with the 8 speed auto would have MDS - they wouldn't do that would they? And if so have they learned their timing chain lessons...???

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
RS' quote paraphrased below...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Engines:
6.4L Hemi MDS (SRT automatic trans)
6.4L Hemi w/o MDS (SRT manual trans)

6.2L Supercharged (SRT "Hellcat")

--ResumeSpeed--

With this ^^^^, I'm assuming the "Hellcat" WON'T have MDS.

Now, it's time to start saving. OH, DEAR! I only have one year!

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
What keeps jumping out at me is the careful ommision of the word Hemi on 6.2. Hellcat 8, also happens to be the squadron name and number from the 1939 movie "Flight Command", I just happened to catch on Turner Classics a couple weeks ago, cool name for a mill! :D

·
Registered
284 Posts
2015 Dodge Challenger - Features and options

*** PRELIMINARY AND SPECULATIVE INFORMATION - SUBJECT TO CHANGE ****

Exclusive information for ChallengerTalk.com
Compiled by ResumeSpeed
Last updated: June 10, 2013

World Premiere: March, 2014 Springfest / April 2014 NY Auto Show

2015 order banks open: June 2014

Last day of production for 2014 LC models: July 2014

2015 sales Launch: September 1, 2014

------------------------------------------

2015 Models:

SXT, R/T, SRT Core / SRT / SRT "Hellcat"

2015 Engines:

3.6L Pentastar V6 (SXT/SXT Plus)

5.7L VVT Hemi (R/T manual trans)
5.7L VVT Hemi MDS (R/T automatic trans)

6.4L Hemi MDS (SRT automatic trans)
6.4L Hemi w/o MDS (SRT manual trans)

6.2L Supercharged (SRT "Hellcat")

2015 Transmissions:

8-sp auto w/AutoStick (all models)
6-sp TREMEC manual (R/T and SRT)

2015 What's New:

New: "LA" series, major refresh
New: All-new interior
New: 6.2L Supercharged engine (SRT)
New: 8-spd transmissions
New: Refreshed front and rear fascias
New: LED taillamps
New: 2nd generation 8.4" radios
New: Customizable color TFT instrument cluster display
New: "ecall" - one-touch 911 access, Roadside Assistance Services & crash notification
New: Advanced Performance Pages screens (SRT only)
New: Remote lock/unlock doors, start vehicle, flash lights from any distance via the web or a smartphone app
New: 3rd generation flexible Uconnect radio platform with voice recognition technology for handsfree mobile phone, music, texting and navigation operation
New: HD Radio
New: New electrical architecture system

...To be continued as new information becomes available :)

--ResumeSpeed--
. Thanks RS. Do you know if the Hellcat will be available in all colors, or just a special Edition Color?

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Yep I saw that BUT..........This "Hellcat" is some sorta "different SRT model with major appearance differences". Im just trying to see if it is DEFINATELY gonna have the auto option.
I don't see how it can't have the 8-speed because the NAG 1 5-speed is no longer being made. Sure it's being used in the 2014 vehicles, however, the Kokomo plant has already tooled over to the 8-speed as of January 2013.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I don't see how it can't have the 8-speed because the NAG 1 5-speed is no longer being made. Sure it's being used in the 2014 vehicles, however, the Kokomo plant has already tooled over to the 8-speed as of January 2013.
Ive been hearing that the "Hellcat" version will only be a manual car. Just trying to see if that's not true.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Great news RS, thanks once again.

That will be about the time I want to upgrade. Probably won't be able to afford the "Hellcat", but definetly can swing for a SRT8. Or, since alot of you will be upgrading, maybe I can jump on a great deal for babied, used SRT8! It will be hard to part with this B5 blue though.

:guiness:

·
Registered
999 Posts
Great news RS, thanks once again.

That will be about the time I want to upgrade. Probably won't be able to afford the "Hellcat", but definetly can swing for a SRT8. Or, since alot of you will be upgrading, maybe I can jump on a great deal for babied, used SRT8! It will be hard to part with this B5 blue though.

:guiness:

Babied??? :lol:

Why, of course, it was babied. Just ignore the 1/4 panels!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Thanks RESUMESPEED!!!

I didn't see you mention much about weight or dimensions. Am I understanding correctly that this is NOT a completely new platform, but rather a cosmetic refresh with few or no changes to the chassis and suspension? The exterior dimensions remain the same?

·
Premium Member
4,356 Posts
Thanks RESUMESPEED!!!

I didn't see you mention much about weight or dimensions. Am I understanding correctly that this is NOT a completely new platform, but rather a cosmetic refresh with few or no changes to the chassis and suspension? The exterior dimensions remain the same?
Someone posted about a month ago that this is a refresh... 2017 will be the newer, smaller version Challenger... might not be true and might not be accurate info though.

·
Super Moderator
14,408 Posts
Please Please Please lose the B pillar so we can either roll down the rear windows or lower the top down!!! ;)
Often when the B-pillar is omitted, there needs to be additional structure/bracing to reinforce the body to reduce torsional flexing that can occur...typically that adds more weight.

As an example, the 2nd gen of my 'Benz went pillar-less (B pillar) and all models gained 300# in the process.
Granted, it looked nice and gained rear windows that rolled down, but every model gained a lot of weight in a 180" long car body over the previous design.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Often when the B-pillar is omitted, there needs to be additional structure/bracing to reinforce the body to reduce torsional flexing that can occur...typically that adds more weight.

As an example, the 2nd gen of my 'Benz went pillar-less (B pillar) and all models gained 300# in the process.
Granted, it looked nice and gained rear windows that rolled down, but every model gained a lot of weight in a 180" long car body over the previous design.

Not to mention crash standards. When the 08LC was going through design, we did the feasibility study on having a true hard top. The added weight and cost of the sheet metal was a big factor in its self on top of the added window mechanism/electronics weight and costs. IIRC the panel would had to of been a Hydro formed panel out of high strength steel. People complain enough about how much the LC is a pig. Between crash standards and EPA/MPG requirements, many of you wouldn't believe the balancing act it takes to design a car anymore.

41 - 60 of 12823 Posts
About this Discussion
12.8K Replies
766 Participants
dodgemahal
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing