Dodge Challenger Forum banner

10741 - 10760 of 12824 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree. The SRT reps are much more knowledgeable and helpful.

I just called and was told my car is Shipped To Storage (JS) and is just waiting on a Rail Car. I asked him if it could possibly be due to a Quality Issue and he said absolutely not. If that were the case, there would be other codes indicating as such. He said it is ready to go and it is simply waiting for a Rail Car due to a Rail Car Shortage.

He said many people are in the same boat.

Hopefully the backlog will start clearing up and we will all be getting our cars soon.

This is from a May 29, 2014 article in the WSJ so maybe there is some truth to the rail car shortage problem.

Railcar Shortage in U.S. Pushes Up Lease Rates

A shortage of railcars bedeviling farmers, auto makers and oil drillers has become a windfall for some railcar manufacturers, lessors and finance companies.
"There's strong demand for a broad base of car types and there's not enough inventory," said David Nahass, senior vice president at Railroad Financial Corp., a Chicago-based investment adviser. "As an operator or lessor in this environment, this is what you pray for."
Monthly rates for tank cars, which transport liquids such as crude oil, have increased to $1,500 to $2,000 a car from about $500 in early 2011, before hydraulic fracturing ramped up in North Dakota's Bakken Shale oil field.
Cars that haul sand for fracking are leasing for about $650 a month, up nearly 50% from the end of last year, according to leasing-industry analysts.

Already rattled by a looming shortage of made-in-Japan parts, Detroit auto makers are struggling with rail shipping woes that are stalling deliveries of finished vehicles.
About 4,000 brand new Chrysler Group LLC vehicles, mostly Ram pickup trucks, are parked under guard at the Michigan State Fairgrounds & Exposition Center in Detroit. General Motors Co. GM +0.96% says it has delayed vehicle shipments by a day or two for as many as 1,000 cars at a time, and Ford Motor Co. f +0.18% is storing finished pickups at a closed assembly plant in Wixom, Mich., and at a lot near downtown Dearborn, Mich.
As the U.S. economy contracted during the recession, railroad operators put hundreds of thousands of rail cars into storage and cut their staffs. Now that shipments of autos, coal and consumer goods are rising again, the nation's railroads don't have enough rolling stock for fast deliveries.

The shortage of freight cars has added anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to the time it takes for new cars to reach dealers, forcing auto makers to park finished vehicles near plants around the country.
The shortage of rail cars has "created a hiccup in our system" acknowledged GM spokesman Selim Bingol. Chrysler declined to comment, and Ford declined to provide details of the delivery backups.
"We are working with our transportation partners to address the situation, and we will continue to work aggressively to ship vehicles to our dealers and customers as quickly as is possible," said Ford spokesman Todd Nissen.

·
Registered
353 Posts
gfrench

I think you will be fine in Taylor. There are those of us that have sat there for weeks because of problems. I have been sitting there since the 5th. HID Flicker QC hold. Early last week I had heard they had 1,700 challengers to fix for HID Flicker. Fix rate of 80 a day.

my district Rep says my car is on quality hold. How were you able to get your specific info? Just wondering if I can press my dealer for more info.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
74 Posts
It makes more sense to continue to build cars and repair them in the yards then shut down the factory and build nothing.
I am thinking you must be in management? Management wants that line to run all the time..."We Need good numbers boys". The guy on line knows that he is putting on likely bad stuff but his boss says"Don't worry about that now we can fix it later" Meanwhile all the guys are talking in the breakroom that they are pushing threw cars that will go straight to storage and create more work for fellow employees. I'm Sure no guy on the line wants to see a new challenger ripped apart to fix a problem that they were involved with.

Management thinks they hit a homerun with there production numbers. They fail to tell there shareholders that they had to rework a few thousand cars in August and Sept. The big problem that management does not see is the fact that many of us that ordered early could have had our cars already. So now you created an enviroment were customers are getting pissed because of poor management ideas. And dont forget the fact that when we call daily on the status of our cars that dodge says"Your Car may have been picked for further quailty checks" when through the back door we find out this could have been prevented.

I am a factory worker and I work with management like this every day. Drives me nuts!

I don't blame the guys on the line for this. I blame the management at Dodge.

·
Registered
60 Posts
my district Rep says my car is on quality hold. How were you able to get your specific info? Just wondering if I can press my dealer for more info.

Your dealer has to be your advocate in this deal. In my case the dealer GM is PO'd about the
status of my order as I am...it makes HIM look bad.

Talk to your dealer and TELL him you want specifics on the QC hold. He in turn will jump on the
district rep who will contact the regional rep who will contact Brampton production management.

I am the one from Wisconsin that indicated the QC hold of HID Flickr, etc. My regional rep is
located out of Denver (upper midwest district). I have a email with a scanned document from
Brampton in that indicates the hold, date of hold, status and projected release date. My car was
built on 8/8, sat in "I" for 12 days, JS from 8/20 to present.

Parts are suppose to be avaiable for the HID Flickr 9/15...as they updated my ship date from 9/5 to
9/23. The rep also added that they were going to put my vehicle toward the front of the "repair"
line since it has been so long.

Hope this info helps those in the "JS Hell" status!!

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
I am thinking you must be in management? Management wants that line to run all the time..."We Need good numbers boys". The guy on line knows that he is putting on likely bad stuff but his boss says"Don't worry about that now we can fix it later" Meanwhile all the guys are talking in the breakroom that they are pushing threw cars that will go straight to storage and create more work for fellow employees. I'm Sure no guy on the line wants to see a new challenger ripped apart to fix a problem that they were involved with.

Management thinks they hit a homerun with there production numbers. They fail to tell there shareholders that they had to rework a few thousand cars in August and Sept. The big problem that management does not see is the fact that many of us that ordered early could have had our cars already. So now you created an enviroment were customers are getting pissed because of poor management ideas. And dont forget the fact that when we call daily on the status of our cars that dodge says"Your Car may have been picked for further quailty checks" when through the back door we find out this could have been prevented.

I am a factory worker and I work with management like this every day. Drives me nuts!

I don't blame the guys on the line for this. I blame the management at Dodge.
I have experience in union environments. All you have to do to make tons of money is do exactly what your boss tells you to do. lol

Management always finds a way to spend tons of money on "great ideas". Then they spend tons of money fixing those ideas. lol

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks Tincuda. This is my first time ordering a car. I have purchased many brand new vehicles off the lot with no problems. My last two were a 2007 and a 2010 F150. I decided months ago that the new 2015 Scat Pack was the way to go. Big HP with great new looks. I was willing to give Dodge a chance. This car was going to be a nice take it out on a nice day drive. Not a daily driver or a snow bird. This would sit in the garage most of it's life. With all the BS lately with Dodge not telling me the truth daily about the hold on my vehicle.....I'm getting to the point of why give a manufacture $40,000+ of my hard honest money for a vehicle that was built from day one with bad parts. I have put in so many calls into Dodge to correct this problem it is crazy. Seems like they really don't give a rip about anything. It's just a sad story all around.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Thanks Tincuda. This is my first time ordering a car. I have purchased many brand new vehicles off the lot with no problems. My last two were a 2007 and a 2010 F150. I decided months ago that the new 2015 Scat Pack was the way to go. Big HP with great new looks. I was willing to give Dodge a chance. This car was going to be a nice take it out on a nice day drive. Not a daily driver or a snow bird. This would sit in the garage most of it's life. With all the BS lately with Dodge not telling me the truth daily about the hold on my vehicle.....I'm getting to the point of why give a manufacture $40,000+ of my hard honest money for a vehicle that was built from day one with bad parts. I have put in so many calls into Dodge to correct this problem it is crazy. Seems like they really don't give a rip about anything. It's just a sad story all around.
I ordered my car back in 2011. In that not so distant past, Dodge had not yet set up a web site to watch your car's progress through the factory. Someone here on Challengertalk figured out how to get into the dealers' tracking system and shared the information. I set up my car on my phone so I could watch my car go through the various codes. I say this to let you know that I have been there, done that.

OK, let me tell you about the wait. I wore out all my friends talking about it. I wore out my phone (figuratively) checking for up dates. It would go days and no updates. Great emotional swings. Nothing for days then out of nowhere, an update. The months went by slow and painful. The months did go by and in the end I got my car. These cars are worth the wait. These cars have full warranties. I know it is hard but set back, relax, it will happen and all will be fine in the end.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Cars and like Laws and Sausages....never watch one being built (either in person, or through tracking).

Last car I ordered was my 2001 Sebring...back then there was no way to track anything. I ordered it, got a handwritten note, and heard nothing until it was delivered 6 weeks later.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Take a deep breath, all will be good in the end and you'll be happy with your car. Besides, its almost winter here in MN and it will be asleep for months anyways!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Cars and like Laws and Sausages....never watch one being built (either in person, or through tracking).

Last car I ordered was my 2001 Sebring...back then there was no way to track anything. I ordered it, got a handwritten note, and heard nothing until it was delivered 6 weeks later.
Yes, I can certainly understand why people want to track their car's progress. But for me that just makes the wait seem to last forever. I tell the dealer to call me as soon as they know what day I can pick up the car so I can arrange to come by that day, and leave it at that.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Looks like RS did some updating the other night to post #2 when he was online.... All Hellcat updates.

Compiled by ResumeSpeed 7/18/2014 (updated 9/09/2014 - U.S. Hellcat base pricing increase +$400)

POWER SUNROOF (GWA) $1195 ($1064) (LATE AVAILABILITY)

·
Registered
7 Posts
ummm so I ordered the car with a sunroof and i got a VON 9/09. Today I got the order paper and noticed dealer incorrectly ordered summer tires so I called him to let him know. He said he could modify the order and he went into the system to modify it. He went into the system to delete the tire option and saved it. He printed out the new confirmation and the sunroof was gone. Earlier posts suggest the sunroof is now late availability. Dealer says ALL cars ordered with sunroof are getting sunroof deleted. Not sure what to think, can this be correct or is it possible I would have had a sunroof had he not gone into my order to delete the tires, and only because he modified my order was the sunroof deleted? Many thanks for your insight!

dan

·
Registered
691 Posts
ummm so I ordered the car with a sunroof and i got a VON 9/09. Today I got the order paper and noticed dealer incorrectly ordered summer tires so I called him to let him know. He said he could modify the order and he went into the system to modify it. He went into the system to delete the tire option and saved it. He printed out the new confirmation and the sunroof was gone. Earlier posts suggest the sunroof is now late availability. Dealer says ALL cars ordered with sunroof are getting sunroof deleted. Not sure what to think, can this be correct or is it possible I would have had a sunroof had he not gone into my order to delete the tires, and only because he modified my order was the sunroof deleted? Many thanks for your insight!

dan
This whole sunroof issue is becomming nothing but a cluster f*** anymore! Dodge is really dropping the ball with this Hellcat in general the Hellcat is becomming a clust f*** all together anymore.

I am getting 2 versions of the story. One version is the one that the email says...even if you orderd the sunroof the car will be built no matter what just minus the sunroof.

The other story I am getting is when the car goes into scheduling they will see the sunroof option and put the car on hold and the car will NOT be built.

I was told by my dealer today if I want to keep the sunroof option the car wont be built untill March/April which means it wont show up on the lot untill about June/July. I am ok waiting for a little bit but man that far out I might as well roll the dice and see if they are making a 2016 MY.

And Dodge has been so misleading and quite on everything. We can't get any straight answers!!!! Everyone I try to get into contact with just gives me the run around. Tim or Ralph need to step up and clear some issue up ASAP.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Any info on why the sunroof on the Hellcats is on hold?

Only thing that comes to mind is speed issues wreaking havoc with parts shared with the rest of the lineup. The 1st gen SRT-4s had issues with the sunroof where it would pop off the rails / lift up at 120MPH+ and need to be fixed, so I could see this happening with the Hellcat as well.

That top speed is going to do funky things to everything on the car, and despite in-depth testing I suspect there will be little gremlins to iron out, no matter what. They're probably finding all sorts of things with the staff running prototypes around the last while.

·
Registered
691 Posts

Only thing that comes to mind is speed issues wreaking havoc with parts shared with the rest of the lineup. The 1st gen SRT-4s had issues with the sunroof where it would pop off the rails / lift up at 120MPH+ and need to be fixed, so I could see this happening with the Hellcat as well.

That top speed is going to do funky things to everything on the car, and despite in-depth testing I suspect there will be little gremlins to iron out, no matter what. They're probably finding all sorts of things with the staff running prototypes around the last while.
It's possible.

The whiole issue I have is Dodge needs to come out with some sort of official statments. If there is an issue great tell us. If there is scheduling issue or not enough parts.....fine no big deal but tell us. I think we are all tired of being the the dark and running circles.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
It's possible.

The whiole issue I have is Dodge needs to come out with some sort of official statments. If there is an issue great tell us. If there is scheduling issue or not enough parts.....fine no big deal but tell us. I think we are all tired of being the the dark and running circles.
Like any public corporation, their first priority and obligation is to the shareholders. The second obligation is arguably product safety and somewhere down the list is customer relations.

They are not going to volunteer and publicize what could be received as bad news (regarding sunroofs, early build issues, transport issues,etc) with potential negative impact to the stock value.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My Sunroof rattled off and on from day 1 on my 06 srt Charger. More in colder driving. Sure I could of brought in to dealer, TSB on problem, But for them to remove entire headliner I figured something else would rattle or be damaged. So no sunroof in my 2015 srt challenger and if ya cant get it in Hellcat you should welcome that.

·
Super Moderator
16,619 Posts

Odds are the time it take to build Challenger SRT Hellcats (relative to the volume vs. the rest of the line), they're attriting sunroofs to simplify the builds. There's a lot more differing components on this model vs. the SRT 392:

Theres a lot of additonal cooling modules (water to air s/c, tranny cooler (manual), plus add'l engine oil cooler), plus the addditional s/c cooling circuit...

For those that want a SRT HC with their desired options (sunroof, colors, black Laguna leather (late avail.)), it might pay off to wait ~ Nov/Dec to order their cars and get all they want, especially for the $$$ involved and not be satisfied.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow! The range of information we get from various Chrysler sources is sad. My district rep checked my car 2 days ago as it's been in JS for 3 weeks and told me mine is a quality hold.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unfortunately true, the good and the bad is that it's not only Challengers but trucks also. I ordered a 3500 truck in mid July, built on 8-29, went to JS storage (QA hold). Checked status yesterday...no change, called dealer, they said it had been shipped... arrive any day...I said YES it was shipped to storage for a QA hold for "engine calibration"! Asked them why it takes hours to build one, but can't be repaired in two weeks...said they would check with the service manager to see if he might know what was going on...duh...:notallthere::scratchhead:

10741 - 10760 of 12824 Posts