Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2015 Dodge Challenger will offer Chrysler's new generation of radios, the same as what is currently offered in the Grand Cherokee, Ram and Viper.

The radios are:

Model RA2 - Uconnect 5.0
Model RA3 - Uconnect 8.4A (optional navigation*)
Model RA4 - Uconnect 8.4AN (with premium navigation and HD radio)

*RA3 optional navigation upgrade - requires dealer programming and a $595 fee. Once navigation is activated it can NOT be deactivated and this feature can NOT be transferred to another vehicle. The navigation upgrade is non-refundable, irreversible, and permanently attached to the VEHICLE (not the customer) for the life of the vehicle. Note: The dealer activated navigation does not include Sensor-assisted GPS or 3D features.

Radio interchangeability:
None of the RA1, RA2, RA3, or RA4 radios are interchangeable with each other. If the vehicle came with an RA2 radio, dealers/customers can NOT install an RA3 or RA4 radio. If vehicle came with an RA3 radio, a RA4 cannot be installed.

For more detailed information on the RA series radios, see this Grand Cherokee page:

2014-up model year radios

--RS

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
I have the RA4 in my Jeep SRT and it's great! I assumed they were moving this way since they have in every other upper end vehicle they make.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if the Hellcat doesn't have the option. I wonder if Dodge is going to pull a Z/28 move and limit the electronics to shave weight?

off topic - The Camaro Z/28 as an example, has one speaker only - as needed by law for door chime, seatbelt chime etc. Pretty hardcore but in doing so, the Z/28 just bested the 2014 GT-R on the track. (fair to point out the GT-R is 2009 tech in many ways)

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Sheesh....all of those complicated requirements really sound like a P.I.T.A.

As much as I like having integrated navigation, if they are going to make it that expensive and difficult, just as well use the GPS on my smartphone. After all it is FREE!

Reactions: Danner

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Although I wouldn't be surprised if the Hellcat doesn't have the option.
The Hellcat will come standard with the RA3, with the RA4 being optional.

I wonder if Dodge is going to pull a Z/28 move and limit the electronics to shave weight?
Pretty much all of the bells and whistles will be available on the HC.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that along with this change will come the fact that aftermarket head units and equipment are a no-go. The car audio market is changing as we know it as these OE units become more and more tied into the electronics of the vehicle.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that along with this change will come the fact that aftermarket head units and equipment are a no-go. The car audio market is changing as we know it as these OE units become more and more tied into the electronics of the vehicle.
It's unfortunate. The only way to upgrade the stereo may be only in the amps and speakers, and you're going to be left with the quality of the signal that comes from the headunit. Only way around it I can see is to somehow have the signal inputs going to the (aftermarket) amp, and the headunit is merely the display. It may that way now, signal going to the amp, display is for control only, but the aftermarket will have to figure out a way to make their systems compatible.

·
Registered
353 Posts
If they make some things optional for the hellcat like nav radio to help reduce the price, fine. But if it's a 80k car and we still have to pay 1k for nav, people won't be impressed

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
580 Posts
The current 730N radio has a 40GB hard drive, about 20GB for navigation maps and the rest for storing music, etc. I see on the Grand Cherokee radio page, the RA3 radio has 8GB of flash memory and the RA4 has 16GB of flash. Is this flash memory for navigation only, for my music only, or a combination?

Regarding the SiriusXM radio channels, there is a note saying "there are some slight variances when compared to the SiriusXM channels available on other types of radios. Both have similar music and news channels, the differences are related to a small number of specific sports and talks shows. For example, Howard Stern's talk show is not available while Oprah Radio, Opie & Anthony Show, NHL, and MLB channels are only available on these new radios." Does this mean there is no way to receive Howard Stern on the new radios but Oprah does work? Why are these radios different from others?

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
I'm not sure I like this move for radio integration...due to out of warranty cost and replacement.

IMHO radios etc should be stand alone units and not integrated into the can bus system..

Note this is just my opinion YMMV.

Dale

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The 2015 Dodge Challenger will offer Chrysler's new generation of radios, the same as what is currently offered in the Grand Cherokee, Ram and Viper.

The radios are:

Model RA2 - Uconnect 5.0
Model RA3 - Uconnect 8.4A (optional navigation*)
Model RA4 - Uconnect 8.4AN (with premium navigation and HD radio)

*RA3 optional navigation upgrade - requires dealer programming and a $595 fee. Once navigation is activated it can NOT be deactivated and this feature can NOT be transferred to another vehicle. The navigation upgrade is non-refundable, irreversible, and permanently attached to the VEHICLE (not the customer) for the life of the vehicle. Note: The dealer activated navigation does not include Sensor-assisted GPS or 3D features.

Radio interchangeability:
None of the RA1, RA2, RA3, or RA4 radios are interchangeable with each other. If the vehicle came with an RA2 radio, dealers/customers can NOT install an RA3 or RA4 radio. If vehicle came with an RA3 radio, a RA4 cannot be installed.

For more detailed information on the RA series radios, see this Grand Cherokee page:

2014-up model year radios

--RS
Not liking this at all. PITA.

JFF:D

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
I wish they would continue to offer a two-knob radio/CD player like the REQ in my car. :(

I don't like touch screen radios.

Reactions: Danner

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
I'd be OK with no radio at all. Just leave me a DIN sized opening in the dash, I'll take it from there.

·
Registered
90 Posts
8.4A / 8.4AN clarification

Two questions:
Can you use the remote engine start App with both 8.4A & 8.4AN? (I know it has a monthly fee).

What is the difference in "hands-free/Bluetooth" (8.4A) and the "hands-free calling" (8.4AN)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
2015 Challenger Sound Systems

For those that have had the opportunity to sit in one of the new 2015 challengers,
can you provide a review of the new Sound Group II (with the Alpine speakers vs the prior Boston Acoustics)?

Also any comparisons to the Harman Kardon system would be helpful (I know the HK had past issues that appear to have been resolved).

According to the '2015 Feature Availability' spreadsheet, it appears that the Harman Kardon system is only offered in the following models - SXT+, RT+ and the RT+ Shaker (and believe standard on the Hellcat) , is that correct ? Meaning no HK availability in the Scat Packs ?

This was also posted in the '2015 Scat Pack Thread' forum and '2015 Challenger information thread'.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
I wonder about this option too. I didn't order it but I wonder if it can be purchased later if I decide I want it ... It just sounds like an app for the uconnect system.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
56 Posts
As already posted, this is going to be very problematic for anyone who wants aftermarket sound or features. To get truly good sound out of these factory systems is an uphill battle to say the least. Aftermarket needs to step their game up! They should be working with the OE's to keep the ability to upgrade to aftermarket as a viable and attractive option.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts