Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of removing my rear axles, but ran into a issue with removing my rear knuckles. After removing all the bolts "holding" it in place I am still unable to pull the knuckle assembly off the control arm. Does anyone know what I could be missing ? Is there a collar inside that I need to tap out ?

20200228_195317.jpg
20200228_195314.jpg

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,754 Posts
The chiltons manual mentions to remove the knuckle bolts from the hub. Go to the link below to go to the chilton site then go to Top/Suspension/Rear Suspension/KNUCKLE,Rear/ Removal. There is also mention of a knuckle bushing removal with a tool.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The chiltons manual mentions to remove the knuckle bolts from the hub. Go to the link below to go to the chilton site then go to Top/Suspension/Rear Suspension/KNUCKLE,Rear/ Removal. There is also mention of a knuckle bushing removal with a tool.

Thank you !!!!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Did you remove the axle nut? If you have all the bolts out and axle nut free, the bottom where the allenhead bolt was requires you to pry the spindle off because of a pressed bushing. Then you hammer the bushing back into the spindle before installing. The bolt will push the bushing back out when you tighten it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you remove the axle nut? If you have all the bolts out and axle nut free, the bottom where the allenhead bolt was requires you to pry the spindle off because of a pressed bushing. Then you hammer the bushing back into the spindle before installing. The bolt will push the bushing back out when you tighten it.
I got the axle nut off already. What direction do you pry it too? I just dont wanna break anything ?

20200229_161750.jpg

·
Registered
736 Posts
I got the axle nut off already. What direction do you pry it too? I just dont wanna break anything ?
Stick the pry bar where the arrow towards the spindle is. Pry between the lower control arm and spindle out towards the outside and spindle will slide off of the lower control arm

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stick the pry bar where the arrow towards the spindle is. Pry between the lower control arm and spindle out towards the outside and spindle will slide off of the lower control arm
Ahhhh alright I'll try it after work! Thanks for your help I really appreciate it. Been trying to figure it. You my man are a life saver lol. I will let you know how it goes

·
Registered
736 Posts
Just remember theres a bushing in that spot that gets pushed back into the spindle. Doesnt require much movement back in. Otherwise you wont get it back on. It slides into place as the bolt tightens. Its whats holding it now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright I'll make sure to be careful. Is it fine if I message you if I have any more questions later on?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Go ahead. I just changed my spindles a week ago. What your having issue with is the hardest part. Put all the bolts back , then tighten them. Install loosely first. Easier to line all the holes up.

20200222_105841.jpg
20200222_105825.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Go ahead. I just changed my spindles a week ago. What your having issue with is the hardest part. Put all the bolts back , then tighten them. Install loosely first. Easier to line all the holes up.
Did you put any loctite on the bolts ? And anti seize on the axle nut?

·
Registered
736 Posts
I used antisieze on the axle teeth. Only bolts i used loctite on is the brake plate bolts that go into the spindle. Ive seen those come loose. Rest just tighten to spec

·
Registered
736 Posts
Mines a 2011 with 2015 rear diff. I swapped from 3.6 auto to 5.7 standard. Then i did brembo brakes. Thats why i changed my spindle.

·
Registered
736 Posts

Thats my build

I swapped everything. Motor, trans , rear cradle complete interior. Went from automatic v6 to manual and v8.
Then i swapped the 2015 spindles out for a set of 2018 scat pack charger ones for the brembo brake mounts.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Thats my build

I swapped everything. Motor, trans , rear cradle complete interior. Went from automatic v6 to manual and v8.
Then i swapped the 2015 spindles out for a set of 2018 scat pack charger ones for the brembo brake mounts.
Holy cow man !

I got the knuckle off btw thanks again I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. Most of the time i do the work and usually forget about pics or video til the jobs done.

Did you see the bushing that gets hammered back into the spindle?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts