Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the 2015 Challenger RT Scat Pack 6.5 Liter, and I'm wondering about the exhaust?
They sound pretty good, but not quite as good as the 3" Heart throb system I had on my 2014 RT 5.7 liter.
Does anyone know the specs on this? (ie pipe diameter? 2.5, 2.75 or 3"", innards of the mufflers)
Thanks James

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
2.75 inch diameter pipes, cut the front mufflers of and leve the resonators in you will be happy.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, no gain in going to a 3" pipe?
When you say cut the front mufflers I assume you mean replace them with a section of more 2.75" pipe?
How bad is the drone?
thanks James.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
There is a lengthy thread on this subject in the general Challenger discussion section. The bottom line is that you're going to lose your mind with the drone and you will get zero performance gains with this plan.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hearthrob exhaust has sets for 5/7 and 6.4 (RT and SRT) and claims they have been dyno engineered and tested,
17 hp gain. I had these on my RT...they did drone a lot, (more so than using flowmaster 40 on front and replacing the back resonators with st pipe) The hearthorb design is 3" pipes with 4 "mufflers" - 2 long front and 2 short back, which all 4 looked like glass packs to me, a larger diameter cylinder, say 6"..and had a perforated (small holed) 3" pipe running down the middles, no baffling at all, and an H type cross over. I can't say I noticed 17 more hp, but, would you? HE claims they did many dyno tests swapping stock to his, back n forth.

I had heard the scat pack RT comes with a non Dodge brand, not sure which?

Heartthrob Exhaust and Accessories

2012 Challenger 6.4L SRT8 # 1053010 +16 rwhp on our test vehicle
2008-2011 Challenger 6.1L SRT8 # 1053010 +44 rwhp on our test vehicle
2009-2012 Challenger 5.7L RT # 1053020 +17 rwhp on our test vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Dodge did a great job with the exhausts on the SRT8's and Scst Packs.
I'd be hard pressed to believe a 16 rwhp increase on a 2015 that has the active exhaust.
Where do you think Dodge got the extra 15 hp to raise the HP rating from 470 to 485?

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there where they got the extra 15? I do know its a much better design and sound that the stock 2014 RT !

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
The engine is unchanged.
The throttle body, although a different casting, is the same 80mm.
The primary thing that's different between the '14-'15 HP wise is the active exhaust.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perfect sense I agree. SO I assume my exhaust is different from what was on 2014 SRT? What is "active" exhaust? and this is opposed to? ...passive exhaust?

Thanks so much for the info.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Even if you get the alleged 15HP gain, you'll never feel it in a 4,000+ pound car. You are going to pay a nice pile of money for an exhaust system that will most likely drone bad enough to make you go insane.

To each their own though. It's a free country at least for a little while longer.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOW, just googled it "The exhaust has move-able fins in the piping and the muffler to make it more freer flowing at wide open throttle , Also increases back pressure at low rpms to increase fuel efficiency and increase torque"
on top of it being an excellent design, I'd be a fool to pay to have it replaced with likely a lesser design and be throwing something at the PCM, it would not know at all.

And I agree totally on this... a waste. on the 2014 wasn't as bad a waste...15 hp on 370 lil better than on 485, and heartthrobs are not expensive....usually you get what you pay for, but in this case...they are best bang for the buck by 2 times at least.

Being the scat pack has a performance exhaust, there/s nothing to gain anyway. Do you know where there are any specs on these active exhaust? or any reading on it ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
2015 SRT and scatpack exhaust is wide open it is hard to believe aftermarket will outperform it. IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sash, from what I read and posted above, its not wide open...its better:
"The exhaust has move-able fins in the piping and the muffler to make it more freer flowing at wide open throttle , Also increases back pressure at low rpms to increase fuel efficiency and increase torque"

It's both!...constricted at low RPM and open when you nail it, and it makes total sense, as I thought the car is not loud at all, then I gave it gas, and it sounds like the mufflers fell off!

·
Registered
2015 SRT
1,261 Posts
"The exhaust has move-able fins in the piping and the muffler to make it more freer flowing at wide open throttle , Also increases back pressure at low rpms to increase fuel efficiency and increase torque"

It's both!...constricted at low RPM and open when you nail it, and it makes total sense, as I thought the car is not loud at all, then I gave it gas, and it sounds like the mufflers fell off!
lol

It's funny. Yep, active exhaust. It was a selling point to me though I didn't get to hear it until I drove off. I knew it was there though. I heard some good reviews on their sound and took a leap of faith. Me, I'm leaving it alone. It's perfect to me.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

thats correct, it is called active exhaust,it is wide open when you need it to be, and drone free when you need it to be,so like i said right now it is hard to beat the stock exhaust.:thumbsup:
there is a few dudes that cut of the front mufflers and live the back resonators on the car sounds louder for sure, i have contact one person and ask about the drone,he said there is no mds drone, i don't know this for sure i am just saying what the dude told me, he dos have a video on the you tube.... good luck with your decision, if it was me ill live it alone, those cars sounds and performs great just the way thy are.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Perfect sense I agree. SO I assume my exhaust is different from what was on 2014 SRT? What is "active" exhaust? and this is opposed to? ...passive exhaust?

Thanks so much for the info.

The valves open in Sport mode and at WOT to give more flow.

From Allpar:
The new active exhaust system on the Dodge Challenger 6.4-liter Scat Pack and 392 HEMI Scat Pack Shaker allows for straight-through mid and rear mufflers for a throaty exhaust note under engine load.
2015 Dodge Challenger: the muscle cars return

1 - 20 of 81 Posts