Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

I've had my new RT for a few days, and notice there is no spare ! yes I bar the sealant pump kit, and I've not actually used a spare in decades.... but I know sure as shinola, by not having one.... is when I'll need one.

I'm not picky, a tiny dough nut will work for me... jus something to get me out of the bad neighborhood I know where it will be, that I'll need one.

any suggestions. on where and type (one that will clear the brake calipers ) get something? I have a jack I can use, so I'm set there, just need something that will fit the car and the spare space in trunk

thanks. AJ

·
Premium Member
9,558 Posts
There is someone making a kit and I believe it sells for about $300. Unfortunately if you have staggered tires even with putting the front tire in the rear and donut/spacer in front you can still damage the rear end. The back tires have to be equal in size or else they will be rolling to different revolutions per mile.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so? I guess just hope I don't have a situation that's the air pump can't handle,,, or call road side!? what is everyone else doing?
as I said, I actually haven't used a spare in has to be over 15 years, maybe longer cause I can't even remember it. I just have this bad feeling that not having one, is going to bring iut a situation where I need one

·
Registered
229 Posts
Unfortunately if you have staggered tires even with putting the front tire in the rear and donut/spacer in front you can still damage the rear end. The back tires have to be equal in size or else they will be rolling to different revolutions per mile.

The unequal tire diameter is really only detrimental if one has a locker which actually locks both the left and right axle shafts together. Since a limited slip has slip, hence the name, unequal tire diameters in the short term will not cause any damage. Of course one must use some common sense and not run hundreds of miles and have excessive difference in diameters because this will increase the probability of burning out the clutches in the LS. Also if the LS has lots of preload it would cause a higher probability of burnout of the clutches. Now if one has an open diff it is irrelevant.

One may think I contradicted myself, I did not, in a worst case scenario it would be far cheaper to MAYBE have to replace some burned clutches versus you HAVING to replace an exploded locker.

As for me, for my 2010 RT Classic I had the donut and a full size spare. For my Scat Pack I will have a full size spare.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IF had any spare on, getting it fixed would be an ASAP thing for me,,,I wouldn't be planning on over 10 -15 miles on it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I believe most donuts are only good for about 50 miles at 50MPH...

I always think of the worst case scenario, the middle of nowhere on a Sunday or late at night, a long way to go to a closed tire shop.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Performance Spare

This is what you are looking for. Unless you want to carry a full sized 28.6" take off in you trunk at all times. Rumor has it that the jack isn't the greatest though. The spacer is the most important part as it allows you to clear the brakes. Our cars come with roadside assistance as part of the warranty from Dodge, so this would only really need to be used to get your car into cell phone range/tire shop. These are emergency tires, not spares.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah I have the extended warranty..not sure if it has roadside, but I paid an extra $1100 for it (they said it's supposed to be $1700)..so I should have it?
If not, I just checked my insurance policy...I'm already paying $6 a month, for a roadside service that's better benefits than the AAA premium!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Exactly, there is a roadside clause in our standard warranties. Not sure if the extended ones have it though. Many people don't re like that they haven his service and double pay on insurance. Yeah, $6 ain't much but it's free money. Even if you keep it on your policy, use Dodge first so it doesn't raise your rates.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well? I'd assume if standard has roadside, that extended would encompass all that standard has, and then some?
I have USAA for insurance....I've used them for FAR more $ than a tow, and they didn't raise the rates.

If anyone ever has a chance to join USAA....don't even think about it...do it. Their service is incredible, rates...well, I'm paying $380 a month.....for, 3 cars and a motorcycle Full coverage $500,000/1,000,000/$500,000 , ($500 deductible)...and it gets better..this also includes full coverage for 2 rental properties plus the house I live in.
This isn't a good rate cause I've "Never used them"...I've used the Dog out of them, they've been "pay first ask questions later" with me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i have looked around and came up without any answer will a spare kit from a 14 challenger rt work for the scat. i know the jack will work and lug but what about the donut spare. i would just feel better having something other then the fix a flat and compressor.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have looked around and came up without any answer will a spare kit from a 14 challenger rt work for the scat. i know the jack will work and lug but what about the donut spare. i would just feel better having something other then the fix a flat and compressor.

I'm with you!!! I lucked out!...I found a local guy on Craig's list that sold me the entire "spare kit", for $100. It comes with a doughnut spare, an adapter (must have to fit on the front) and a jack.....I believe its normally $300 - $500 ? it does add 50 pounds or so...for those who are weight conscience (I am not, I have another 60 pounds of tools in the trunk...I ain't getting stranded so as to win a race!)

·
Registered
60 Posts
i have a buddy that is about to trade in his 14 and said i could just trade out my foam for his spare but just don't want to put it in if it doesn't work

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have a buddy that is about to trade in his 14 and said i could just trade out my foam for his spare but just don't want to put it in if it doesn't work
You'll have to do what I did. The seller, was nice enough to jack up my car, and test it on the drivers side, front and back. I've NEVER had a flat, that a can of fix flat and air compressor would have helped.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT 392
185 Posts
So if got this right... a spare will work on the back, but requires a spacer for the front?

I too would feel more comfortable with a spare. I havent had to use one in 6 or so years... but when I did, I had a back tire blow out while driving through a pretty unfavorable part of Atlanta.

·
Registered
419 Posts
another alternative-though maybe more expensive,would be to buy a full size 20" wheel that fits on all four corners-doesn't have to match or be outrageously expensive and a cheap 20" tire-now you wouldn't need a spacer or worry about driving on a small donut-just get a scissor jack that lifts on the pinch welts and something to remove the lugs

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT 392
185 Posts
Thats a good idea too... though i guess the only down side would be that it would take up more trunk space. Driving around town im not that worried about it, but i wouldnt want to take a road trip with out one... but then again we would probably just take the wifes Jeep on a long haul.

my original thinking was to re-mount the speakers that are in the spare tire well (to the back of the seat) and put a spare in the well. that way it would be in there and I would have to think about it.

but a full size would be easier if I ever needed it.... maybe Ill just strap it to the roof!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, USAA is the best if you can get it. Does anyone know who will respond the fastest if you call for a flat or car trouble? USAA roadside, AAA or Dodge? Since I have all 3 I wonder who I should call first if I had a problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Scat Pack Spare Tire

AJ, I've had my SRT for ten years and the problem still exists with no factory spare. I bought a spare tire kit from Performance Spare years ago and it used an adapter to fit the rim over the Brembo breaks. I've heard the new kit has a special rim and doesn't need an adapter any more.
Tony

hi,

I've had my new RT for a few days, and notice there is no spare ! yes I bar the sealant pump kit, and I've not actually used a spare in decades.... but I know sure as shinola, by not having one.... is when I'll need one.

I'm not picky, a tiny dough nut will work for me... jus something to get me out of the bad neighborhood I know where it will be, that I'll need one.

any suggestions. on where and type (one that will clear the brake calipers ) get something? I have a jack I can use, so I'm set there, just need something that will fit the car and the spare space in trunk

thanks. AJ

1 - 20 of 21 Posts