Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2015 Challenger SRT 392. I've had the car for a little over a year now and recently started looking into doing some mods. I brought my car to a performance exhaust shop that claimed they did about 2-3 charger/challenger muffler deletes a week. They told me that what causes most of the noise reduction are the valves in the exhaust after the mid muffler and that my best bet was to leave the mid pipe as is and straight pipe back after that. The manager told me that in some cases when removing the valves you can get a CEL but that it was rare and I shouldn't have that issue. Of course I as soon as I pick my car up the CEL light was on and had two codes for the left and right valve not being present. Overall I wasn't thrilled but I knew that he had told me that it could happen. I've looked into how to get it go to away and the only options I've found are to but a Tuner and new PCM (so I can swap it if I have to bring it in for service) but then when removed I will have the CEL again. Does removing these valves void the warranty? My next issue is they used 2.5" piping back from the mid pipe to the tail pipe. Stock is 2.75" and when I called the shop to ask why they didn't use stock pipe size I was given the answer that 2.75" is a awkward size and they don't carry it in stock but not to worry because having 2.5" will not affect my car at all. Does anyone have insight on this? I feel like its bottle necking the system IMO. ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRICIATED! TY in advance

·
Registered
178 Posts
They really screwed you up, 2.5" will be hurting performance, they should have gone with 3" instead of 2.5", and they shouldn't have eliminated the AES like that, do you have the valves with you? anything that will prevent them from putting them back ? i know those suckers are expensive, so if they did damage them, they should pay for them. Warranty is voided for the exhaust now, not for the entire car, and i think if you have wanted to keep the valves fully open for example for more noise, that you could've accomplished that with the Tazer. I would go back to that shop and review all the options for getting things fixed the right way.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
IMO they should have not done that without asking first, there should be 3" on it! No bigger no smaller, not to mention looking goofy...the main question is does it feel restricted? I know if you go bigger then 3" you start losing the proper back pressure

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
IMO they should have not done that without asking first, there should be 3" on it! No bigger no smaller, not to mention looking goofy...the main question is does it feel restricted? I know if you go bigger then 3" you start losing the proper back pressure
Back pressure is a myth, otherwise people with cutouts would lose power when they're open.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
A free solution to the valves, just cut the pipe before and after the valve and plug them back in and mount the two valves up under the car out of the way, this allows the computer to open and shut the valves even if the are just tied up out of the way under the car some where, it's the same the simulators your just using the stock components, don't understand why someone would by the simulators when you can do the same thing with the stock piping.

The exhaust is now a lost cause, maybe find a cat back exhaust system and just start over, you should be able to get a complete system and be able to slide on yourself. So now you would have a nice catback system and your stock exhaust valves zipped tied up out of the way and no more check engine light.

·
Registered
637 Posts
These are all questions that should have been asked before taking it to this shop. You got screwed over big time.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I own a 2015 Challenger SRT 392. I've had the car for a little over a year now and recently started looking into doing some mods. I brought my car to a performance exhaust shop that claimed they did about 2-3 charger/challenger muffler deletes a week. They told me that what causes most of the noise reduction are the valves in the exhaust after the mid muffler and that my best bet was to leave the mid pipe as is and straight pipe back after that. The manager told me that in some cases when removing the valves you can get a CEL but that it was rare and I shouldn't have that issue. Of course I as soon as I pick my car up the CEL light was on and had two codes for the left and right valve not being present. Overall I wasn't thrilled but I knew that he had told me that it could happen. I've looked into how to get it go to away and the only options I've found are to but a Tuner and new PCM (so I can swap it if I have to bring it in for service) but then when removed I will have the CEL again. Does removing these valves void the warranty? My next issue is they used 2.5" piping back from the mid pipe to the tail pipe. Stock is 2.75" and when I called the shop to ask why they didn't use stock pipe size I was given the answer that 2.75" is a awkward size and they don't carry it in stock but not to worry because having 2.5" will not affect my car at all. Does anyone have insight on this? I feel like its bottle necking the system IMO. ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRICIATED! TY in advance
What a bunch of damn clowns. Take it back and have them fix it. Put your axle back on again and delete the mid mufflers. Keep the valves, basically anything over 1/4 throttle and 2k rpms and the valves are open, we tested it when I did my exhaust. They should fix this shitty work they did. All they had to do was slip some 3" over the 2.75" and weld it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts