Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T, 1988 BMW E30 Convertible, 2001 BMW 530d Touring
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Challenger fans,
please support me.
I am just purcased a 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T from the US. I need to convert the lamps to EU, so replace red LEDs with orange, and separate brake and turn indicator.
I am an electrical engineer with more than 20 years experience in electronic, SW.

Can anybody please help me, how can I open the outer tail light housing? I have not fund until now any not invasive procedure (I have seen cutting, laser cutting and similar)
Is there a way to open it with heating or with solvent?

On electronic side, do you have some best practice to do the conversion?
Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,309 Posts
The Tail Light assemblies are sealed the Exterior Lens is RED and can not be changed by opening it up and putting Orange LEDS in them you would have to get custom Assemblies Made. Inside the Assemblies are Bulb Sockets and those Bulbs are Clear not colored. How ever maybe use Amber Light Bulbs in the Sockets with the Red Lens will produce the Orange you want.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Tail Light assemblies are sealed the Exterior Lens is RED and can not be changed by opening it up and putting Orange LEDS in them you would have to get custom Assemblies Made. Inside the Assemblies are Bulb Sockets and those Bulbs are Clear not colored.
Thanks for the info. I mean the inner part with transparent part. As I experienced in videos and real cars from outside the transparent section's leds are partlyreplaced with orange leds. My biggest quiestion mark is the opening of the case. to reach the PCB assembly. How they do that? :)

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,309 Posts
Those are Glued / Sealed from Factory not Serviceable meant to be opened to prevent Moister in them. There is after market LED ones you can Buy already made but expensive. Search LED Tail Light Assembly Dodge Challenger 2015-2018 using Google

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
380 Posts
I did the HD Customs mod in that video. Requires some modification to the wiring, and if you do not speak Polish the instructions are iffy at best. Also the way they want you to wire it is pretty sketchy. You can do 90% of the wiring right by the BCM and keep it a lot cleaner.

Oh, it is $500 or Euros. So yeah, there is that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you mean, you have made the modification yorsef on the lamps as well, or you have ordered the modified lamps and you have made tehe assembly and wire proceses?

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus
42 Posts
Unfortunately I have no idea how to open up the taillights. But mine were converted buy a independent LED-guy in his home workshop. So it must be possible!
My solution is not the best looking one but probably the easiest/cheapest.
Break light:
Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Amber Electricity Automotive design
Break light and turn signal:
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood Grille Motor vehicle
I actually also (wrongly) thought that this was achieved by simply replacing the red LEDs with orange ones (and making some changes in the BCM) but as Wm. Internet Rock DJ explained, there is more to it. Now if I think about it, the turn signal has a bit of greenish/yelloish tone to it in daylight so there might be indeed some color mixing sorcery involved to get the orange light through red lens.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,705 Posts
My only suggestion is to buy another taillight and tear it apart, even if you bought a cheap broken one from a wreck, just to learn more how they can be opened, and wired. Actually, that is my official suggestion, buy one from a wreck, heck, you might get one for free, or only pay shipping plus a beer money.

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
380 Posts
I have been trying to buy tail lights from a wreck ever since I bought this car. Everyone wants full price. Even all the salvage yards I have found strip the tail lights off before it even goes to the yard.

As for how the lights come apart. Where the clear plastic meets the black, they simply heat it up and pry it apart. There is a sticky tape/glue thing bonding the two together. It looks like when mine were modded they just cut it apart and glued it back together.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,695 Posts
:oops:

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,695 Posts
The Challenger has never been officially sold in Europe. There are importers who sell them, but nothing sold by Dodge

A Guy

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
826 Posts
I have seen American cars over there (Holland) with red directionals doing taxi duty. That was years ago.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts