Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just started to notice at about 5400 miles. I have the 2015 SXT Plus with the 8 speed auto. The transmission feels and hears like it is slipping coming out of 2nd and 3rd. I can sometimes tell there is hesitation in the power too. Any ideas? Will I need to take this to the dealer? Has anyone had any transmission issues with the 2015's new 8 speed yet? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
228 Posts
So far the A8 transmissions in both my Challenger and Ram have been flawless. I would definitely go the dealer with this issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update on issue

I took my car in twice since my first post. I had the TCM updated. They said there was a learning process. The second I drove the car off the lot I noticed the same slipping issues. It appears the car stops slipping when the transmission gets above 125 Fahrenheit. I still do not get any check engine lights or diagnostics codes. The car acts like it is perfectly fine. It just isn't the same car as it was the first 5,300 miles. When the car is cold is when I have the transmission issues. It seems to "slip", when shifting out of second gear. I have now called Dodge and opened a case. They helped me setup another visit to the dealership. The same transmission tech is going to look at it. Hopefully STAR and this tech can figure something out. If STAR doesn't know anything I am afraid nothing will get done...

I am not crazy. I pay a lot of money for this car and love this car, but don't want this car if I have to live with this. Maybe it is not an every day driving car like I was told it could be.

·
Registered
692 Posts
That's discouraging. I hope they fix your problems. I hate hearing news like this about a car I just ordered. Makes me wonder if I made the right choice. Like you said, there's nothing worse than spending 40+ K on a car that's having problems. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
124 Posts
FWIW I owned a '13 A8 hemi Ram and presently own a '14 A8 hemi Ram and a '15 A8 Scat Pack and all three had a 2-3 hesitation I noticed.

It varies with throttle/load but its more the engine cutting power (torque management) then the trans slipping. Its possible the 2-3 shift requires more time for the elements to do what they need to do, it is noticeable if you look for it. The A8 in the Scat Pack in sport mode will hit the 2-3 pretty hard/fast at wide open throttle but its not as quick as the 1-2 and 3-4.

The powertrain warranty is 5/60, if the trans burns up its Chrysler's problem for the next 5 years, not going to lose too much sleep over it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
2015 Challenger Transmission Slippin!!!!

:werd:
I just started to notice at about 5400 miles. I have the 2015 SXT Plus with the 8 speed auto. The transmission feels and hears like it is slipping coming out of 2nd and 3rd. I can sometimes tell there is hesitation in the power too. Any ideas? Will I need to take this to the dealer? Has anyone had any transmission issues with the 2015's new 8 speed yet? Thanks in advance.

When I read your post I had to look to the side and make sure I did not write it. I have a 2015 SXT with the STP and at 4900 miles I got the same exact problem 2nd 3rd, cold, stops when car warms up. I am taking mine to the Dodge Dealer and they are going to fix it.
I too love the car. It is like an old car that the transmission slips in until the car gets warmed up. Only this is not an old car. This is a new car. This is a new expensive car. It will be fixed.

I can only imagine this is a software update however I wonder about any damage being done to the transmission in the interim, . I also notice turning it to sport mode when it is cold makes it seem to stop or just not as noticeable. I now at least feel better because I am no speed demon and I have never ground anything or spun anything or any of that. Now I see this is not just me or something I did or did not do. the odd thing is... why did this not happen in the supposed break in period.??? It almost feels like the auto -clutch in there isn't spinning up..

Keep us updated I will post what happens.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had the same exact problem with my 2015 sxt and the dealer tried to fix with a flash but it did nothing. They ended up having to replace the valve body in the transmission. This worked as I have not had any problems for the last several thousand miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds exactly like mine. I am still waiting for my car back. Transmission and valve body replacement is said to be the fix...I hope so!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Got my car back from dealer. dealer kept it two days so they could test it cold. Got big speech from Service Manager for non prompt service. Supposedly had the panel flash done too....Car was warmed up of course car drive fine warmed up..... Started out in car next day... transmission slips between 2 and 3.... when cold. So much for the flash.
I will say it is not nearly as bad as before the flash HOWEVER it is not fixed and in fact feels programmed to try to do something special between 1 and 2 and 2 and 3 now but it misses the mark and just shifts like well.. not how it is suppose too....

Dear Dealer, I do not want a free car wash and vacuum out of the goodness of your heart. I want my gd car fixed! I WILL BE going back... :fight: Figures 6 brand new dodges pass through my hands in last three years and the one I decide to keep has transmission problems.....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Latest update October 2015 less then 10000 miles. Fifth trip to dealer ..

I let everyone know I had a 2015 SXT V6 I bought in Lake Norman NC. It started the slipping thing as noted above at about 2500 miles I took it back and after tinkering with the transmission and after 4 tries to fix it which on try 2 they did fix it about 2000 miles worth then it started again. NOW for the FIFTH trip to the dealer my brand new 2015 Challenger with less then 10000 miles is getting a whole new transmission. Really kind of sick by this especially since I am not the only one with this problem. Also the order time to even receive the transmission is more then two weeks. I really loved this car and planned to keep it forever but this isn't the first so called quality issue I have had especially since this is my third one. IF I am not a good customer someone please tell me what a good customer is.

I had all the flashes and the valve thing ALL WORTHLESS.... I will never ever trust this transmission even if they warrant it for life

·
Registered
781 Posts
Sorry to hear that. The transmission on my 2015 RT is being replaced as well. Dealer said new one won't be in until November... 😫😫😫

Ps. I'm thinking of contacting a lawyer. Maybe you should too?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Personally, after having the kind of trans troubles you did I would be thrilled that they're replacing and not just tinkering with it.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Lemon law it and get a 6-speed. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Personally, after having the kind of trans troubles you did I would be thrilled that they're replacing and not just tinkering with it.
they have already done the tinkering the first 4 times and I ve only had the car 9 months. I get a nice Chrysler 200 each week long visit and this time well they said two weeks its been two weeks

·
Registered
688 Posts
first let me state don't have the a8 on my challenger, but on my ford that is an a6 dual clutch i had the same problem & first they tried a software fix & made problem worst thank goodness because then could show the dealer the problem. they then after my getting huffy with them replaced both tranny sensors

Turbine Shaft Speed (TSS) Sensor

This Turbine Shaft Speed (TSS) sensor is a Hall-effect pickup that sends a signal to the PCM that indicates transaxle turbine shaft input speed. The TSS sensor provides converter turbine speed information for TCC strategy. Also used in determining static LPC pressure settings.

Output Shaft Speed (OSS) Sensor

The Output Shaft Speed (OSS) sensor is a Hall-effect pickup, located on the transfer shaft drive gear, that sends a signal to the PCM to indicate transmission output speed. The OSS is used for TCC control and shift scheduling.

I'm not sure the a8 has these, but it may have. once these were replaced on my ford a6 i have had no issue. like i said only a guess to try to help out something that i know how frustrating personally it was.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Got the call today supposedly the car is fixed new transmission on a car with 9834 . I will be picking it up tomorrow BUT The first time it screws up I am driving it back and parking it and contacting the NC state attorney general under lemon law. I thought after 3 tries and they didn't get it right but that might be for complete failures I also know it has something to do with the number of days the car has spent in the shop within the first year. I am in NC and I know it varies by state. I really think they need to extend my powertrain warranty out and if they do not I am sad to say I think I might be done with Dodge.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I also have the 2 to 3rd gear slip. Just started happening about a month ago... I have around 4100 miles. The transmission jerks or slips only when cold first thing of a morning or after sitting all day at work. And slips primarily when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Some mornings it is not as bad as other days. And as others have said, once fully warmed or after driving about 10 minutes it seems to shift smooth as silk. I'm glad to see this thread since the other threads I've read on this report this issue in the 4th or 5th gear, but mine consistently does it from 2nd to 3rd. I took my car to Twin City Dodge/Lafayette and they did the transmission "flash" . But it did not work. It seems like the transmission now shifts a little different but the slip is still there when cold. Will wait to see if it gets better on its own or gets worse. I do not like having to leave the car overnight for them to verify the slip first thing of a morning. Hope DODGE determines a permanent fix for this.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I also have the 2 to 3rd gear slip. Just started happening about a month ago... I have around 4100 miles. The transmission jerks or slips only when cold first thing of a morning or after sitting all day at work. And slips primarily when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Some mornings it is not as bad as other days. And as others have said, once fully warmed or after driving about 10 minutes it seems to shift smooth as silk. I'm glad to see this thread since the other threads I've read on this report this issue in the 4th or 5th gear, but mine consistently does it from 2nd to 3rd. I took my car to Twin City Dodge/Lafayette and they did the transmission "flash" . But it did not work. It seems like the transmission now shifts a little different but the slip is still there when cold. Will wait to see if it gets better on its own or gets worse. I do not like having to leave the car overnight for them to verify the slip first thing of a morning. Hope DODGE determines a permanent fix for this.
mine started out like that just the slip between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and third only when cold at 2500 miles. I did everything they ask me to do. I went back four times each time it got worse and then I started hearing downshifting/upshifting at a constant 60 mph I knew then it was getting far worse. Dodge is aware of this notice how they don't seem to chime in with those wonderful is everything OK on threads like this? because they know what's going on a bunch of faulty parts inside the transmission.

·
Registered
781 Posts
mine started out like that just the slip between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and third only when cold at 2500 miles. I did everything they ask me to do. I went back four times each time it got worse and then I started hearing downshifting/upshifting at a constant 60 mph I knew then it was getting far worse. Dodge is aware of this notice how they don't seem to chime in with those wonderful is everything OK on threads like this? because they know what's going on a bunch of faulty parts inside the transmission.

Amen brotha!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts