Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R/T
99 Posts
update!.....74 degrees here, left work at 5:00....car says trans. temp 118 degrees...start car and wait....2 minutes later temp says 127 degrees......it still did it... again no monkey guy here, use 2!...no more!...i buy new so i don't have to worry!....I'm worrying!...ok, it's still learning, i"ll buy that only for awhile!!!...it should not jerk during upshifts! it didn't did last winter?....hell, if i got a cup of coffee from Mickey D's in the morning or afternoon...I'd burn my boy!...lmao!...

·
Registered
485 Posts
I just picked up my A8 RT Shaker.

I have been a dyed in the wool manual guy my entire life, but I decided to try a terst ride in an A8 to see what all the hub-bub was about how great this transmission supposedly was.

I was stunned at how good even an RT felt with this A8!! I love this transmission, and hope I do not get bitten.

In the sample size that is this 5 page thread, 7-8 members are unfortunately reporting some trouble. I sincerely hope Dodge is working towards solutions. I would like to think that Dodge will continually find ways to improve on this trans, and perhaps even the aftermarket.

I do recall some complaints here and there relative to the old A5 as well. Just a mention for perspective sake.

Overall it seems the arguable majority of A8 owners are satisfied, but I hate to see fellow forum members going through this.

Keep us posted, and good luck!

·
Registered
2016 R/T
99 Posts
congrats dude!.....maybe a small thread, google charger transmission problems & jeep also, same problems....it was the radio around here about dodge A8 tranny problems....bottom line, i know how you feel right now, new ride and it's great, then something changes after a few miles!...i hope you don't have the same feeling i'm have now? did i make a big mistake after paying this kind of money?....today was even hotter, 76 degrees here, same thing....i did go to Micky D's today, i passed on da coffee!...lmao!

·
Premium Member
176 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R/T
99 Posts
then i have an issue!....first time i took it in, had to drop off night before so they could repeat it...no car given to me....had my lady pick me up...I'm cool with that so far....go pass before work da next day and it hasn't move? wtf?....leave for lunch and go pass again, same spot?...wtf...go pass after lunch, door open & tech under dash....cool!...they're working on my girl, i'm guessing flash thing?.....all done at 3:00 and get a call at work......Challenger all done!....great i think?...now your saying STAR is aware of it, why didn't dealer do that or set a another day to do it?....but now i have to take it back again!...wtf!....I've drove auto tranny all my life ( 52 now ) and none of them shifted like this during warm up?.....I'm not being a dick here, i bought a new car and somethings wrong?...if, in the end this is how this tranny shifts, i don't want it!

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
then i have an issue!....first time i took it in, had to drop off night before so they could repeat it...no car given to me....had my lady pick me up...I'm cool with that so far....go pass before work da next day and it hasn't move? wtf?....leave for lunch and go pass again, same spot?...wtf...go pass after lunch, door open & tech under dash....cool!...they're working on my girl, i'm guessing flash thing?.....all done at 3:00 and get a call at work......Challenger all done!....great i think?...now your saying STAR is aware of it, why didn't dealer do that or set a another day to do it?....but now i have to take it back again!...wtf!....I've drove auto tranny all my life ( 52 now ) and none of them shifted like this during warm up?.....I'm not being a dick here, i bought a new car and somethings wrong?...if, in the end this is how this tranny shifts, i don't want it!

If you read the thread I linked to you will see it a case by case basis. ONE user Medusa2015 had a dealer mechanic experienced the issue in his car and brought it to the attention of the STAR team. They recommended a Valve Body replacement.

User minivolks already had this done and has reported that after the Valve body replacement it "shifts better than ever now"

So, really if your Challenger is under warranty and you have this issue, (as I do) then be happy.
It can be fixed.

Test,

·
Registered
485 Posts
congrats dude!.....maybe a small thread, google charger transmission problems & jeep also, same problems....it was the radio around here about dodge A8 tranny problems....bottom line, i know how you feel right now, new ride and it's great, then something changes after a few miles!...i hope you don't have the same feeling i'm have now? did i make a big mistake after paying this kind of money?....today was even hotter, 76 degrees here, same thing....i did go to Micky D's today, i passed on da coffee!...lmao!
I'm not going to worry. If it gives me any trouble, it will be fixed. No regrets, and no worrying about if something will go wrong.

On the glass is over half full side, most A8 owners are not having problems, and I have every confidence that this issue will get a solution.

·
Registered
2016 R/T
99 Posts
ok, it's been over 600 miles, still doing it, not as bad, but still doing it ( hard up shifts on 1,2, & 3 & 60 to 70 mph on highway, ok after warm up...down shifts still there but not as bad after software update, I'll take her back in another 100 miles )....this is a question i have, again, I'm no monkey wrench dude, but what da hell is this sound i hear?....it happened twice now after software update and it goes on for hours until the next day....it happen today after shopping in morning, it's parked in the garage and every 40 seconds ( approx. ) it's beeps for 2 seconds and does it all over again, it's coming from the bottom of the car near engine/ tranny.......just asking?...i still love her!....6000 miles so far and 2 oil changes & 1 tire rotation......that tells ya i still love her :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 R/T
99 Posts
well i can't take it, it goes in next Friday...now it feels like slipping then a hard crap on up shift, down shift not as bad.....6500 miles.....i had asked the dealer about a car to drive while they had it......tells me i need to call the day before and make sure they have one?.....wtf....a car that's not even a year old and in the shop for the second time and i don't get a loaner/ maybe?.......talk about customer service!....I emailed Dodge the first time before it went in, the lady reply back and told me to reply to this email in the future if needed......i did today at 3:00 in the morning cause i couldn't sleep.....i feel like Jake @ State Farm talking to da Cone Heads! :) will keep ya posted!

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
well i can't take it, it goes in next Friday...now it feels like slipping then a hard crap on up shift, down shift not as bad.....6500 miles.....i had asked the dealer about a car to drive while they had it......tells me i need to call the day before and make sure they have one?.....wtf....a car that's not even a year old and in the shop for the second time and i don't get a loaner/ maybe?.......talk about customer service!....I emailed Dodge the first time before it went in, the lady reply back and told me to reply to this email in the future if needed......i did today at 3:00 in the morning cause i couldn't sleep.....i feel like Jake @ State Farm talking to da Cone Heads! :) will keep ya posted!

Sorry to hear that you're having issues. Sucks. :( Hopefully they'll get it fixed for good.

Regarding the rental, I'm not aware of any maker other than the luxury brands that offer a loaner. If you had the extended Maximum Care warranty then you'd get a first-day rental, though. Not sure if the other Mopar warranties offer that since I've only had the Maximum Care.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2016 R/T
99 Posts
...u got me po now!.....just to give you a background on my life.......i do sales/ customer service!....make good $...32 yrs. at one company, i quit and go 2 another company!.......bring them over 2 million in sales from the old company, my question to you?.....why did they follow me?......customer service!!!!!!......not sure where you live but every time i buy a new car car i get a loaner when they fail!.....that"s why i don't buy GM anymore!...hope it's not Dodge next?....uncle got a 2016 vette, it broke down, GM again!....hold on! Cone Heads texting me again! lmao!

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I have no idea what I just read...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sorry to hear that you're having issues. Sucks. :( Hopefully they'll get it fixed for good.

Regarding the rental, I'm not aware of any maker other than the luxury brands that offer a loaner. If you had the extended Maximum Care warranty then you'd get a first-day rental, though. Not sure if the other Mopar warranties offer that since I've only had the Maximum Care.

Good luck!

GM gives you a loaner car if your car is in the shop for warranty repairs. got one several times when my Camaro was being looked at

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
GM gives you a loaner car if your car is in the shop for warranty repairs. got one several times when my Camaro was being looked at

Everything I see says that it depends on the dealer, there is no actual loaner coverage as part of the factory GM warranty. Same deal with Chrysler unless you have the extended warranty, in which case a loaner is part of the extended warranty.

·
Registered
2016 R/T
99 Posts
ok, i'm still learning on how to post here, last post on this thread, all post i do now go to " should there be a recall on the A8 ".....ps, i did get a free car.......200s go figure!.......it shifted better! :) but only had 6000 miles on it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My transmission froze in first gear at 858 miles. They replaced the Valve Body but I say the transmission still sucks. It hesitates gong form first to second sometime slips slightly on take off.. I think Chrysler needs to rethink their automatic transmission design. Other than the way the transmission acts, I love the car.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ive noticed this same slipping issue, with my 2015 R/T A8, but only when I have it on auto-stick / paddle shifter mode. It's happened a couple of times when I put it on "manual", I get on the gas, and the car stutters/stumbles before I get a chance to shift.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Have you guys had the dealer reflash your pcm? There was a TSB update that they did the last time I had mine in for an oil change.

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 61 Posts