Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2015 Challenger Uconnect 5.0 to 8.4 Upgrade Guide

86K views 178 replies 59 participants last post by  EdGaR 
#1 ·
Attached for all who are interested is a pdf guide I put together, with lots of help from my friends on the forum, for upgrading a 2015 Dodge Challenger with a Uconnect 5.0 system to Uconnect 8.4. Enjoy. If anyone needs a source for:

Uconnect 8.4A (RA3) and Uconnect 8.4AN (RA4) Radios
NAV Unlocks for RA3
Conversion of 2013-2014 Model RA3 and RA4 radios to a 2015 firmware
2015 Challenger bezels for the 8.4

Please send me a PM.

Attachments

#3 ·
Awesome Stuff Dan! Absolutely GREAT write-up! I have some additional photo's that I can add once my unit is installed. For example, I already have some pictures of inside the headliner so people aren't confused on where to pop it off and all the cabling locations. I know it's pretty obvious for most (based on the details) but I am very "picture friendly" person when it comes to installs. I am a firm-believer when it comes to sharing the knowledge, so Thanks Again for sharing!!!

Blake

#14 ·
Nothing new to report. Until we get someone in a Dodge service department to access the car's computer and tel us what the code is to turn on the performance pages, we are still at a stand still.

Fortunately, upgrading to the 8.4AN is a big step up in features even without the Performance Pages.

#19 · (Edited)
Excellent write up. Thats a LOT easier than doign it to a Mini/BMW. The connectors you tal about are Fakra connector. From what I gather, There is no splicing or rewiring to do in the harness adn connectors? This is all plug and play?

What does it take to install the reverse camera? Must it be OEM?

Thanks

#20 ·
This is all plug and play, no splicing required. You are correct, all of the connectors a FAKRA. As for the camera, yes it should be OEM and the function will need to be unlocked in the car's computer at the dealer from what I understand. My came equipped with the camera so I didn't have to deal with that.
Dan

#25 ·
Not doing this since I have a 2014 Rallye Redline currently but just wanted to say "THANKS" for a great useful thread!! :thumbsup:

I may get a 2015 in the future so..............

#26 ·
ddisneyjr, finished reading the thread started but the trickster dude and the involvement you had in all that and just wondering if "your" guy has anymore of the 8.4AN radio's, I have a 2015 Challenger R/T with the 5.0 and even without the performance pages at this time I am looking at doing this upgrade, just ordered a new spoiler from Steve White parts so I can get the review camera, either it will be a pain in the ass, or it won't at least I'll have something to do, and you seemed pretty much satisfied with you set up, do you suppose he has anymore with the new flash on it I believe it was something like the 15.06.1 or something like that. just wondering.

Attachments

#30 ·
I believe anyone who has the STP option already has what is needed to make this work, it just needs to be unlocked in the ECU. There is a physical button on the cars pre-equipped with the 8.4 system, but I know for a fact the pages can be reach via the Apps icon in the software interface so I don't think that is a limiting factor. I believe you are also correct about the Witech, that is what I found as well after digging a little into it myself.

Welcome to this crazy band of mad scientists....:grin2::nerd:

#33 ·
I have a 2015 Challenger Shaker RT with the base 5.0 radio (no XM).
I have the back-up camera.
If I install the 8.4 RA3, will I need to add an antenna to make the XM work?
From what I understand, the back-up camera will work and the Sport mode button will still work.
Is that correct?

#38 · (Edited)
I didn't have XM in my 5.0 system either, but my base puck style antenna had 2 connectors one blue and one white. The blue carried both the XM signal and NAV and the white carries AM/FM.

I only upgraded to the Sharkfin in the testing phase to see if it would work for the cellular functions in the car. It did allow me to access the Pandora app in the Apps menu, but it does not allow us to register Uconnect . This has to do with our VINs not being in the database at Uconnect showing our cars initially being equipped with the 8.4. So the sharkfin is really not necessary. The puck will give XM and NAV. A note about XM, some of the radios will still have XM subscription time available to use until it runs out. When the subscriptions runs out there are instructions in the doc on how to refresh the radio with your own subscription.

FYI you can likely get the RA4 from my source for the cost of the RA3 from OEMAutoParts. Send me a PM and I can forward the e-mail of my contact. He has assisted a number of members here with radios and NAV unlock services for the RA3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.