Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am looking at a 2015 Challenger with virtually no CarFax history until 2020. The vehicle appears new, and has less than 500 miles. In fact the first registration was in August 2020........ Is this a red flag?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Demo model, someone high up at the dealer's loaner vehicle, just sat unsold and those miles are just test drives. Can be numerous things.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Sounds to me it has just test driven, and after 500 miles, it's ready to be driven like it should be! Just have it looked over, change the oil, and have fun. It would still have a factory bumper to bumper warranty, too.

Reactions: Don Smith

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds to me it has just test driven, and after 500 miles, it's ready to be driven like it should be! Just have it looked over, change the oil, and have fun. It would still have a factory bumper to bumper warranty, too.
Warranty?? It is a 2015.
The seller did say I would be eligible for a warranty at any Dodge dealer if I had it inspected by the dealer 1st.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Warranty?? It is a 2015.
Warranty starts from when the new vehicle is sold IIRC, so if a new 2018 sat on the lot for 2 years, then someone bought it this year, the warranty timer starts this year.

Reactions: F8HemiRT

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The vehicle in question is a Hellcat with 399 miles.
This is really good news since I just purchased it........... Was told I needed "to bring it to a Dodge dealer and get a new warranty but he was not sure". The guy sells high end cars so he wasn't familiar with Dodge and their policies.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
The vehicle in question is a Hellcat with 399 miles.
This is really good news since I just purchased it........... Was told I needed "to bring it to a Dodge dealer and get a new warranty but he was not sure". The guy sells high end cars so he wasn't familiar with Dodge and their policies.
Wait! You're not buying it from a Dodge dealer? I would have checked on that before hand.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No..........
In fact I had no intention of possibly letting my beloved '17 Rt Scat pack which I just had Ceramic Pro coated go.
I rolled the dice it was just way too nice to pass it up. It was also a 6 speed, which I had wanted on my scat but couldn't find.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
The warranty clock triggers with the original sale. If the vehicle is in private hands, it has been reported. It doesn't matter if it is still on the MCO (Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin) or a state-issued title.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info....
So the Carfax is for the 2015 HC.
It was a dealer car, that did not get registered until August 2020. I am thinking I should take it in to my local Dodge Dealer to verify it? Also to get the recalls done.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Registered is not necessarily the same as the original retail delivery date. If 8-2020 was indeed the first sale date, then by all means get yourself in line for warranty coverage. Any recalls will follow the car, not the owner.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
There you go.

That dealer sat on the car for 5 years. I bet it needs a battery. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know right!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
You will be the second owner. It is important to let FCA know you are the current owner. The remaining original warranty coverage should transfer to you. The open recalls (or any future ones for that matter) apply regardless of who owns the vehicle.
The only time recalls come off the table is if the vehicle in question has been declared a total loss.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info man.
I had 20k on my RT Scat Pack, with no warranty
Thats how I see it.
Now lets get a pic of the 1970!

·
Registered
2020 F8 Scat Pack 392 6 Speed Stick
128 Posts
Hi,

The dealership I ordered mine from had 3 2018's on their new car website and believe I saw 3 of them. 5.7 autos, the other was a Scat Pack, so its possible it was a leftover for some reason

Regards,
Jim

Reactions: hansman

·
Premium Member
9,601 Posts
The warranty clock triggers with the original sale. If the vehicle is in private hands, it has been reported. It doesn't matter if it is still on the MCO (Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin) or a state-issued title.
MSO-Manufacturers Statement of Origin.
The warranty starts at the inservice date. If this was never titled, I’d say the warranty starts now.

Reactions: hansman

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
MSO-Manufacturers Statement of Origin.
The warranty starts at the inservice date. If this was never titled, I’d say the warranty starts now.
I agree that most manufacturers use "MSO". FCA doesn't. I scanned my MCO before I surrendered it to title the vehicle. I was a cash buyer (that's how I ended up with the MCO instead of it being turned into the state by the dealer) and registered the vehicle in my home state as opposed to the state it was purchased in. The car deal was dated March 30, 2020 and the dealer reported the sale to FCA on that date. The warranty clock started then. I did not get an actual title application handled until May 2020. The date of first use record is March 30, not the title issue date of May 12.
MCO header.jpg

Reactions: GSBrockman

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,560 Posts
I agree that most manufacturers use "MSO". FCA doesn't. I scanned my MCO before I surrendered it to title the vehicle. I was a cash buyer (that's how I ended up with the MCO instead of it being turned into the state by the dealer) and registered the vehicle in my home state as opposed to the state it was purchased in. The car deal was dated March 30, 2020 and the dealer reported the sale to FCA on that date. The warranty clock started then. I did not get an actual title application handled until May 2020. The date of first use record is March 30, not the title issue date of May 12.
View attachment 1004788
You are correct......I have a copy of my MCO from FCA, too.....

Reactions: cruiserdan
1 - 20 of 25 Posts