Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a borla exhaust for my 2015 R/T Shaker Plus but it says I need to remove cylinder deactivation. That can be an expansive kit to buy and is permanent. Can I remove this feature and make the exhaust work with a tune?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I know with some tuners, like the Diablo Trinity that I have you can disable MDS entirely...but of course your year has a locked PCM...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know with some tuners, like the Diablo Trinity that I have you can disable MDS entirely...but of course your year has a locked PCM...
So I would have to find a way to unlock the PCM. That is possible but I am not sure how. Will have to look into it. It’s all through the tuners though?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,110 Posts
OK, this is Borla again, great exhaust, but apparently idiots on Dodge terminology. They are still talking about Active Exhaust Valves. They have long called them MDS valves, but now have doubled down on the idiocy with adding (Cyl. Deactivation)

W/O MDS (Cyl. Deactivation) Valves

Cylinder Deactivation (MDS) valves

MDS has nothing to do with what exhaust will work. It's just do you want a system with no valves, with valves that still work, or with valve simulators. Your 2015 R/T had no active valves, so you just want the kit W/O "MDS" valves.

Atak

https://www.borla.com/products/challenger_rt_catback_exhaust_atak_part__140628.html

S-Type

https://www.borla.com/products/challenger_rt_catback_exhaust_stype_part__140627.html

Touring

https://www.borla.com/products/challenger_rt_catback_exhaust_touring_part__140626.html

Get the one you want, don't worry that Borla is cluseless on the valves yours doesn't have anyway ;)

A Guy

Reactions: MiHiHemi

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, this is Borla again, great exhaust, but apparently idiots on Dodge terminology. They are still talking about Active Exhaust Valves. They have long called them MDS valves, but now have doubled down on the idiocy with adding (Cyl. Deactivation)

W/O MDS (Cyl. Deactivation) Valves

Cylinder Deactivation (MDS) valves

MDS has nothing to do with what exhaust will work. It's just do you want a system with no valves, with valves that still work, or with valve simulators. Your 2015 R/T had no active valves, so you just want the kit W/O "MDS" valves.

Atak

https://www.borla.com/products/challenger_rt_catback_exhaust_atak_part__140628.html

S-Type

https://www.borla.com/products/challenger_rt_catback_exhaust_stype_part__140627.html

Touring

https://www.borla.com/products/challenger_rt_catback_exhaust_touring_part__140626.html

Get the one you want, don't worry that Borla is cluseless on the valves yours doesn't have anyway ;)

A Guy
Awesome. You are a gem here. Absolutely love the support in the forums here.

Reactions: A Guy

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,696 Posts
You should actually ask Borla about their exhaust, not the internet. There is a very good chance everything they are saying IS ACTUALLY CORRECT. I would bet a good bit they know exactly what MDS and CYL deactivation is and how it affects exhaust sound, which is what you are actually buying, the sound. The HEMI with MDS has been around almost long enough to drive on its own now, so I'm pretty sure they got it right.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Awesome. You are a gem here. Absolutely love the support in the forums here.
Guy is a real Gem here. A total gentleman and very knowledgeable :)

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I can't believe an exhaust manufacturer would care about MDS. Maybe mention it will change the exhaust note while activated but no way say you have to do anything with MDS...strictly your decision as to whether or not to program deactivation.

I agree with A Guy. Only factor affecting the selection of a new exhaust system/piping assembly is if you have the valves or not.

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
I can't believe an exhaust manufacturer would care about MDS. Maybe mention it will change the exhaust note while activated but no way say you have to do anything with MDS...strictly your decision as to whether or not to program deactivation.

I agree with A Guy. Only factor affecting the selection of a new exhaust system/piping assembly is if you have the valves or not.
I would bet it is because of someone spending a couple grand on an exhaust for sound, then when MDS kicks in and they hate the drone/pulsations they ask for a refund, and Borla doesn't want to deal with that. I know my SPS sounds funky when MDS kicks in with stock exhaust at low speeds. It will kick in at 23 MPH on my street on a slight up slope, so the car is quiet enough to hear it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You should actually ask Borla about their exhaust, not the internet. There is a very good chance everything they are saying IS ACTUALLY CORRECT. I would bet a good bit they know exactly what MDS and CYL deactivation is and how it affects exhaust sound, which is what you are actually buying, the sound. The HEMI with MDS has been around almost long enough to drive on its own now, so I'm pretty sure they got it right.
I emailed them before I started this thread. I am waiting to here back. Figured I would ask around here and ask them.

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
I emailed them before I started this thread. I am waiting to here back. Figured I would ask around here and ask them.
It will be interesting to hear their explanation. It will be funny if they simply say "oh, ignore that, it means nothing".

·
Registered
10,291 Posts
Push the Sport Mode button. MDS, along with its' God aweful sound, will be deactivated The car will actually be more enjoyable to drive.

I bought a 392 to enjoy, not a 196!

Reactions: SFCR

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
I love MDS, shaves the $1000 tax off the A8 392, and real world highway mileage it saves about 9%-10% gas.
All it does is save you money, and turning it off is only a push button (or paddle shift tap) away.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I love MDS, shaves the $1000 tax off the A8 392, and real world highway mileage it saves about 9%-10% gas.
All it does is save you money, and turning it off is only a push button (or paddle shift tap) away.

You fool!

Keep it down before the rest of the forum hears you defending MDS.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have nothing against MDS but I as I stated above I want to upgrade exhaust systems and for some reason Borla states that it will
It will be interesting to hear their explanation. It will be funny if they simply say "oh, ignore that, it means nothing".
okay so they just emailed me back and I got this

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,110 Posts
Look at the pictures of the different systems. Without "MDS Valves" have no Active Exhaust Valves. With "MDS Valves" Have Active Exhaust Valves...coincidence? I think not! In fact, I'll bet AlexThortan's money on it! :D

A Guy

Reactions: MiHiHemi

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,110 Posts
I have nothing against MDS but I as I stated above I want to upgrade exhaust systems and for some reason Borla states that it will

okay so they just emailed me back and I got this View attachment 976594
Write back and ask why in the heck their website not only says MDS valves, but have added (Cyl. Deactivation) recently. Explain you understand AEV's, but not MDS valves ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Write back and ask why in the heck their website not only says MDS valves, but have added (Cyl. Deactivation) recently. Explain you understand AEV's, but not MDS valves ;)

A Guy
Oh will do. I want to know why they have be out here confusing people looking to buy their products

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Also not sure about your year but on my 2013 R/T...when I drive in auto-stock mode..whitch is all the time because I like shifting...the MDS is automatically disabled in autostick mode. Again not sure though about 2015 and newer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts