Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought the car off the showroom floor about 5 months ago and I noticed that the first time and ONLY the first time I drive it for the day, when it goes into 2nd gear (its automatic) you can feel it shift.. like it doesn’t go to the next gear smoothly u can feel it shift for some reason. but after that and all day long that I drive it it does not do that at all every gear is smooth. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this normal is it not normal it’s just so weird that it’s the only time it happens.. just the very first time I drive it every day. Any idea?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts
So I bought the car off the showroom floor about 5 months ago and I noticed that the first time and ONLY the first time I drive it for the day, when it goes into 2nd gear (its automatic) you can feel it shift.. like it doesn’t go to the next gear smoothly u can feel it shift for some reason. but after that and all day long that I drive it it does not do that at all every gear is smooth. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this normal is it not normal it’s just so weird that it’s the only time it happens.. just the very first time I drive it every day. Any idea?
Do not recall my 2018 Scat Pack doing that.

There might be a transmission control module (TCM) (or even an engine control module (ECM)) update. Sometimes these are not divulged unless the car is manifesting the right set of symptoms. (For example when I took my Hellcat in with a goofy +paddle shifter both a TCM and an ECM were applied.)

In some ways the automatic wants the driver to drive the car like the automatic prefers. Have you tried changing your driving style at least at the initial start and when you drive the car immediately after? Maybe be a bit less aggressive with the throttle when taking off and as the transmission then shifts from 1st to 2nd? Or putting the transmission in manual mode as you drive away and manually shift the transmssion a time or two then shift to D mode?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do not recall my 2018 Scat Pack doing that.

There might be a transmission control module (TCM) (or even an engine control module (ECM)) update. Sometimes these are not divulged unless the car is manifesting the right set of symptoms. (For example when I took my Hellcat in with a goofy +paddle shifter both a TCM and an ECM were applied.)

In some ways the automatic wants the driver to drive the car like the automatic prefers. Have you tried changing your driving style at least at the initial start and when you drive the car immediately after? Maybe be a bit less aggressive with the throttle when taking off and as the transmission then shifts from 1st to 2nd? Or putting the transmission in manual mode as you drive away and manually shift the transmssion a time or two then shift to D mode?
Yes I tried changing it up like for example if I go super slow when I first take off like barely touch the gas it won’t do it but if I go 15 mph and up it will

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,762 Posts
I have actually seen several threads where people complain about harsh shifts when cold. I believe it would be considered normal. There are no bulletins for any flashes for the 5.7 and 8HP70, there was for the 6.2 and 6.4

A Guy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts