Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can hear this vibration sound coming from the front of my car when I accelerate. It gets louder as the speed increases. I thought it was the wheel hub but I changed that and the sound is still there. I'm not sure if it's louder towards the passenger side or by my transmission. I need some help. The link to the video is below.

Thanks in advance.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/F...OfyyH-JSrypOJjryfkj6ymamPqN4bVAPVddDciYAQ=m18

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,477 Posts
I can hear this vibration sound coming from the front of my car when I accelerate. It gets louder as the speed increases. I thought it was the wheel hub but I changed that and the sound is still there. I'm not sure if it's louder towards the passenger side or by my transmission. I need some help. The link to the video is below.

Thanks in advance.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/F...OfyyH-JSrypOJjryfkj6ymamPqN4bVAPVddDciYAQ=m18
If sit with it in Park and rev the engine and hold it steady at the same RPM as in the video, do you hear the sound?

If you are driving and hear it, does it change at all or go away when you shift into Neutral?

Does it sound the same regardless of engine coolant temp? In other words, if you go out in the morning and start it to drive for the first time that day, does the noise sound the same as if you’ve already been driving it and it’s up to normal operating temp?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If sit with it in Park and rev the engine and hold it steady at the same RPM as in the video, do you hear the sound?

If you are driving and hear it, does it change at all or go away when you shift into Neutral?

Does it sound the same regardless of engine coolant temp? In other words, if you go out in the morning and start it to drive for the first time that day, does the noise sound the same as if you’ve already been driving it and it’s up to normal operating temp?

It only happens when I start to drive. Usually, when I start to drive for about 20-30 mins that's when I start to hear the noise, it doesn't go away when I shift into neutral. It happens when I accelerate and when I slow down, whether I'm stepping on the brake pedal or not. Sometimes when I reverse, I can hear the little grinding sound. But that's only when I've been driving for about an hour. I noticed that on colder days, it's less noisy. There was barely any noise at all this morning. I live in Boston, the temperature was around 42 degrees and I drove for about 30mins to my job without any noise. I keep on thinking it's the driveshaft, but I don't see how that could be.

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
It only happens when I start to drive. Usually, when I start to drive for about 20-30 mins that's when I start to hear the noise, it doesn't go away when I shift into neutral. It happens when I accelerate and when I slow down, whether I'm stepping on the brake pedal or not. Sometimes when I reverse, I can hear the little grinding sound. But that's only when I've been driving for about an hour. I noticed that on colder days, it's less noisy. There was barely any noise at all this morning. I live in Boston, the temperature was around 42 degrees and I drove for about 30mins to my job without any noise. I keep on thinking it's the driveshaft, but I don't see how that could be.
Based upon the info you have provided, my first suspect would be the transmission. I base that mostly on the temperature dependence of the noise. The fact it remains even in neutral doesn’t normally jive with a trans problem, but you have the ZF 8 speed trans, and I’m not very familiar with its internal workings. It’s possible it is manufactured in such a way that this behavior would remain even though it’s in Neutral.

Hook up a handheld ODB-II scanner and pull any stored DTCs from the PCM. There could be some stored that give an indication of what is going on, and that would at least give you a place to start the troubleshooting.

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
clip isn’t opening for me...not sure it would make a difference though, I’m out of ideas if it isn’t the transmission. Maybe time to punt and take it to a pro?

My intermediate steering shaft seemed to have some play in it. But idk if that would vibrate while driving. Here is the clip from yesterday. I tried contacting the dealership I bought my car from since it's still under warranty, but no answers. I appreciate the help though!

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
I’m listening to that video, it doesn’t sound like the noise increases with RPM, only wheel speed. So something in the unsprung hardware maybe? Definitely not a bearing noise like any I’ve ever heard...this isn’t an AWD is it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope, not AWD. I think the sound is coming from the front passenger side. I'll have to check it out again today, and hopefully, I find something.

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Can you jack up that corner and spin the wheel/tire by hand to check for noise that way?

I’m not optimistic that will result in much, but it is cheap and easy to try and who knows, you might get lucky and see it’s just a loose brake caliper or something.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,849 Posts
Not engine speed related, rotational related, wheels/tires/driveshaft...not to state the obvious. Have you had someone in the passenger seat to help you triangulate where the sound is coming from? Confirm passenger side?

A Guy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not engine speed related, rotational related, wheels/tires/driveshaft...not to state the obvious. Have you had someone in the passenger seat to help you triangulate where the sound is coming from? Confirm passenger side?

A Guy

I had one person sat in the passenger seat and they said it sounded like it was coming from the back. I did check my driveshaft, I'm not an expert on it. But I will check on it again to see if maybe the bolts are loose for some reason. Any tips on what type of play I will see if the driveshaft is "bad"?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,849 Posts
Not sure it's a loose issue, hard to say. To me it's almost like a rub, rub, rub. Narrowing it down to where it's coming for will help. Someone on the back seat as well. Different positions in the car can hopefully tell where approximately it comes from

A Guy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts