Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a stupid question... but I have just put a deposit on the new Hellcat, I am going in to customize it on August 1st. I was wondering if I should go manual or automatic. I know that manual would be much more fun, but will it be as fast? Especially if I am not an expert at it. What do y'all think the advantages and disadvantages are?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
The SRT engineers said the auto will be flat out awesome. From the videos it appears it does a great job of keeping the rear wheels planted. I'd say go with the auto unless you just really prefer the M6.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Seriously, why are you buying the car? Are you going to race? Street or strip? Either will be plenty fast.

GO with whatever makes you feel happy. You can never lose that way......

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
No info on how the manual Hellcat performs....it seems that's still under embargo....I am waiting for solid info on that myself before I make a final choice.

Reactions: Peterd1997

·
Registered
16,285 Posts
As a 6-spd guy I agree with the above and with this much power I would go automatic.

Also the Hellcat has revised transmission and axle ratios compared to the SRT 392 and will put even more strain on the clutch during dragstrip launches, see below:

Attachments

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
1/4 mile the car? Auto. DD the car to/from work with traffic? Auto. Don't "need" the car for DD but will drive WHEN you want? Manual. Maybe take it to the track once just to see? Manual. Me? Manual.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: RobF

·
Super Moderator
15,524 Posts
I would go with the 8-speed auto. If you are not an expert with a manual, it you won't get the full potential out of the Hellcat.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,420 Posts
Only if you track the car 1320 feet at a time. Not everyone needs to be the fastest. Drive that car in a stick and you'll still be the coolest.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Only if you track the car 1320 feet at a time. Not everyone needs to be the fastest. Drive that car in a stick and you'll still be the coolest.
Unless you alternate between stalling and spinning wheels at every stop sign!:lol:

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I would go with the 8 speed if I were you.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Nobody can answer this critical question for another. Some prefer to be more involved with the car and the overall driving experience...and some don't.

·
Premium Member
7,322 Posts
Buy what you like. For me, it has to be a manual, but I don't drag race my car.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I think the 8-speed would destroy the 6-speed in a drag race, only reason to get the 6-speed would be if your going to road course it ALOT. I also don't see the clutch holding up long, so put aside money to replace that every 5/10k if you drive it hard.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I've never considered an auto for a performance car but I don't track my cars either. I've got a 6M in both my Challenger and Vette.

That said, an 8 speed auto somehow may not be a bad idea with this car. Depends on how well you can drive a stick.

1 - 20 of 387 Posts