Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was reading this article and looked at the comments at the end of it and a fanboy was dead set on the mustang beating the Challenger. (Calling the Challenger a fat pig, etc.) Some guy said that the new Challenger Scatpack will kill a 5.0 and the fanboy got all pissed off. What's funny is now that the Scatpack is an RT and you can get it for about 38 or so it is now comparable to the mustang as far as price goes. Do you think it is fair to compare the mustang to the Challenger Scatpack? Oh and for the record I do believe the Scatpack will kill a 5.0 since its got the 392 hemi. Fanboy better get with it! ;) What do you think?

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,428 Posts
I was reading this article and looked at the comments at the end of it and a fanboy was dead set on the mustang beating the Challenger. (Calling the Challenger a fat pig, etc.) Some guy said that the new Challenger Scatpack will kill a 5.0 and the fanboy got all pissed off. What's funny is now that the Scatpack is an RT and you can get it for about 38 or so it is now comparable to the mustang as far as price goes. Do you think it is fair to compare the mustang to the Challenger Scatpack? Oh and for the record I do believe the Scatpack will kill a 5.0 since its got the 392 hemi. Fanboy better get with it! ;) What do you think?
In 6 to 8 weeks (hopefully) when I take delivery of an R/T Scat Pack and begin prowling the roadways filled with mustangs, I'll let you know... :banana:

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Ummmm, I was beating 5.0's with my 2011 392 back in the day. I don't see why it cant happen now with a little more power and tad bit lighter car like the 2015 Scat Pack.

Ohhh, also I can beat 5.0's with my heavy 4250 pound "pig" SuperBee. Even when im stock. Stock for stock the past auto 392's have the advantage plain and simple fact. Now that the 8 speed is involved its even better.
We don't know how the new 5.0's will run but I bet its not much better if any compared to the outgoing 2014. All depends on where the new 5.0's power and tq curve is. The new 5.0 doesn't have much more HP and TQ compared to the old one but it might have more power through the whole RPM range which helps a ton.

·
Registered
318 Posts
"Mustang Troll" here. 5.0 is a great bang for the buck. The SRT's are a tad faster but cost a lot more. Honesty I can't believe that a 5.0 has never beaten a 396. Enought. lol. Pricewise 5.0 are on par with 5.7 RT's and a 5.0 vs 5.7 say good by Dodge.

Turn the page. 2015 Scat Pack is priced right with the Stang. 8 speed auto will crush the stangs. Shoot the 8 speed auto curshed the gas guzzler tax as well.

Plan to order and bracket race a ScatPack.

IMO 4200lbs is a pig. A fast pig. Around the same weight as a 72 GTO. Hummmm. :)

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
They both gained 15 HP

The 392 still weighs the same and has more power. The "STANG" gained a little weight with the new independent axle. The 392 was already faster. The 392 will "beat" the 5.0. The 392 with A8....will absolutely DESTROY it. The RT with A8 will give a 5.0 a good run.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
To be fair, modern 392 vs modern 302. Even. Accounting for weight, there still shouldn't even need to be a discussion. 90ci (1.4) liters is a substantial difference in displacement.

·
Registered
231 Posts
That's why I love my core. 43k out the door with some extra goodies that DON'T add weight. Think she weighs 4100lb or close to it. Silly mustang owners lol. Mustangs gs are like tampons, every ***** has one

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 5.0 should compete with the rt 5.7
The mustang is $10k less than the 392
The 5.0 with exhaust, intake and tune will run in the 11s
I've seen stock 5.0s run low 12s
So shut it all you challenger fanboys

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Is it still 10 grand more? I thought the new GT is going to start about 4-5 grand cheaper than the Scatpack. Could be wrong though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Stock for stock the 392 will beat the 5.0. I think that it must be said that the 392 is really not priced with the 5.0, rather the 5.7 is. The 2015 5.0 Starts at 32k. I'll tell you what I think is going to happen, when the 2015 models hit in a few months the hierarchy would be: 5.0, Camaro, 5.7 R/T. When including the 392 it will be: 392, 5.0, Camaro, R/T 5.7.

Now, when the new Camaro hits in 2016 Ford will increase 15 hp to 450hp which will take out the 392 due to the Mustang weighing hundreds of lbs less, but not sure what the Camaro will be bringing to the table.

Also, the new 8-speed is a great advantage for the Challenger. In Fords attempt to compete with this they are adding a 3.55 gear to the 6-speed auto thereby bumping up the autos off-the-line speed.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Former 5.0 GT owner.

Inevitably people compare these two cars, and the Challenger haters will scream "fat pig", etc. It all goes to show how stupid people like this are. They have to over simplify something, and throw hyperbole around to support their weak minded point of view.

The two cars are quite different in fact. The mustang is smaller, and really more "sports car" in its intent. I doubt it just about useless as a "driver". My kids were uncomfortable in back, Andover time I noticed it was more work to get in and out of, and trying to pack it for a day trip with boogie boards, etc......forget it.

The Challenger by contrast is a muscle car. It is larger, more practical, more comfortable. Back in the muscle car era, you could buy a light/small Nova, mustang, etc., or if you needed more room a Chevrolet, Road runner, etc.

At the end of the day, a 392 challenger still has a lot more handling ability than most drivers can extract from it, especially on the street. So mustang fans trying to claim handling as a bragging right generally falls on my deaf ears unless they are road course racers.

Engine wise, the 392 is superior. It has low end torque that I did not feel in my 5.0. Much better platform for building n/a power as well. Go try and stroke a 5.O to 440 cu. In.

If I could convince myself that I wanted a lighter/small car, quite honestly I would pass on a Mustang and go straight for a Corvette.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The gt and r/t have always been compared it's that simple but now the r/t has two motor choices 5.7 or 6.4 yes the 5.7 gets spanked but the 6.4 takes the cake !
IT'S A CHOICE I LIKE !

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
The 5.0 competes with all 3 Chrysler NA cars, the 5.7, 6.1 and the 6.4. There are no clear cut boundaries and rules of engagement. The bickering is pointless, you run the guy that shows up next to you and take it like a man, whether you win or lose, it's that simple. The 5.0 guys will have a hell of a time dealing with the A8 392 cars. I'd put my money on the 392 all day, all things being equal. When cars are modded, all bets are off, it's anyone's ballgame.

·
Registered
721 Posts
This is why Dodge came up with the Core 392. For those that couldn't afford an SRT8 but wanted that 392, the Core was a great solution and started in the $38k range.

·
Registered
834 Posts
All this talk about who can beat who from people who never street race and then flame the person that comes on here and says he street raced a brand X car.

My experience with mustangs...they don't want to race unless they think there is no way in hell you can beat them. Otherwise, they just like to rev and pull off the first chance they get to go hide and hang out with their other mustang buddies. They literally run up and down the road until they see my old Charger, then all of the sudden they don't want to drive anymore. It's just a slow, old, outdated car according to many on here, so I don't understand why they do that.

Reactions: Bad daytona
1 - 20 of 90 Posts