Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a headlight go out last night. I replaced both with Sliverstar Ultras. Tonight I noticed the pattern is all off and looks worse that the old bulbs. Sockets seem to lock in place nice and tight, but I can’t believe the pattern is so off. Is it possible they are not seated correctly or do I just need to re-align the whole assemblies?

·
Registered
898 Posts
They are most likely not seated correctly. Replacing a halogen bulb with a halogen bulb shouldn't change anything.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That's what i thought but I wasn't sure as they seemed locked in nice and tight. You can't see anything and they are a pain to get at to know for sure. Didn't really want to take the whole air intake off again, but I guess I'm going back in!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK so which way should the connector be pointing once it's locked and seated correctly? The connector was pointed down towards the ground last night, but today I have it pointed up towards the hood. I won't know until I'm out on the roads tonight if visibility is any better. I just did the one for now and will tackle the shaker assembly this weekend when I have time.

Not sure what kind of special idiot I am this week that cannot get a lightbulb change done correctly, but here I am!

·
Registered
898 Posts
I would verify that you have the correct bulb. I just checked my passenger side and the connection is about 40degrees up and facing out.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are the correct bulbs. I even compared them to the originals. They seem to be shining the brightest maybe ten feet in front of the car. Can’t see anything down the road. I turn the brights on and there is barely a change in brightness. Almost acting like my fog lights.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Weird. I'm running the same bulbs as you and they were a huge improvement over the OEM bulbs. Ther are a bit of a pain to seat correctly, getting the ears into their slots and giving them the twist to lock them in place.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,761 Posts
From memory, the connector is almost 3 o'clock to insert, it then rotates clockwise to 4:30 or 5 o'clock. I too have the Ultrastars and they work fine

A Guy

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
@OP - you didn't happen to turn the headlight alignment screws when changing the bulbs, did you (thinking that you needed to remove those screws to get to the bulbs or something)? I'm talking about the screws that are accessible with the headlight "covers" still on the car (small hole in the plastic to get to the screws).

Just wondering if you accidently adjusted the aim of the headlights when initially trying to get to the bulbs.

Like others in this thread, I run the same bulbs on my 2018 and they work great...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m going to go back out and try the 3:00 to 4:30 position as see how that works. I did not adjust any screws or remove anything except the rear cap to get to the bulb. It would be nice if you could actually see the bulb through the front of the headlight, but you cannot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Insert bulb while lights are turned on a wall 25 ft away. I had the same issue with my LEDs. Just played with it until it lined up properly.

·
Registered
112 Posts
They will 'assemble' wrong.
IIRC there's 3 tangs, 2 thin and a thick, and misaligned can feel like they went right with 2 out of 3.
Be sure and mark cover for next time (3>4 or such).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts