Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I know all of you are aware that the headlights on the Challenger are a nightmare. I contacted Morimoto asking for recommendation and they suggested me their 9012 Morimoto Elite HID system. Have anyone used it? Have you tried anything else? Are you happy with it?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I used the 9012 2Stroke LEDs and was pleased with them. Drop in, fit in the housing, and a big improvement.

Edit: FYI, I still have a used set in a box I'd part with.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,273 Posts
Hello,

I know all of you are aware that the headlights on the Challenger are a nightmare. I contacted Morimoto asking for recommendation and they suggested me their 9012 Morimoto Elite HID system. Have anyone used it? Have you tried anything else? Are you happy with it?
What's so bad about the factory headlights? I have had my headlight assembly removed and taken apart 4 times (that's including being baked in my oven with bulbs/module attached) and I have not had any issues with them. Although I will say, the headlight power distribution (at least on 2015 models) is very sensitive (more like screwy) to additional loads...especially the park/side marker power lines.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's so bad about the factory headlights? I have had my headlight assembly removed and taken apart 4 times (that's including being baked in my oven with bulbs/module attached) and I have not had any issues with them. Although I will say, the headlight power distribution (at least on 2015 models) is very sensitive (more like screwy) to additional loads...especially the park/side marker power lines.
I mean that the visibility during night is horrible. They are not so bright. For comparison the Camaro has really nice headlights if opted out properly.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,518 Posts
I recently did the H7 to H9 upgrade on my low beams because of how crappy the low beam visibility is at night, and I couldn't be happier. Now yours aren't going to have H7s for low beams like mine, but if they are they the straight based version of the H7s, I bet there are some straight based alternatives like the H9s. If so, I'd try them. You're basically replacing the low beam bulb (a 55w halogen) with a hi beam bulb (65w halogen), so it won't be a direct plug in, but you just have to trim a little tab inside the plug of the bulb to get it to work.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,518 Posts
n/m, disregard my reply. I forgot the challengers have the low and high beam on the same bulb.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2016 and they aren't the best headlights for sure. I've always had great performance from the Hella High Performance 2.0 bulb and the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra, which I have for both the headlamp bulbs and fog lamps. I've had them in since I purchased the car in January, 2016 and haven't had one blow out or any other issues. The light output is much better. At the time, Hella didn't have a 9012 for the Challengers and I haven't checked to see if they have manufactured any since then. I believe for the money, availability, and ease of installation, they are a good choice. If a bulb light output is "too white," you'll lose visibility.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts