Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it's just me but my heated seats aren't really warm at all. Do you guys feel the same way?

I'm in Chicagoland and park outside, everyday I use the heated seats in HI setting... after 10-15 minutes of driving they feel 'slightly warm'. BTW I have remote start and the Cold Weather Package. FWIW I wear many layers but the seats on my Volkswagen... will burn thru my clothes! For the Challenger's HI setting I expect to feel some HEAT.

The only time they got hot was one time I parked indoors and I drove off without wearing a jacket. The seat got hot. Otherwise I'm disappointed with the heated seats, Im not really feeling the 'comfort.' BTW the heated steering wheel works great.

According to the manual - Front Heated Seats "When the HI-level setting is selected, the heater will provide a boosted heat level during the first four minutes of operation..." :|

·
Registered
63 Posts
Since you have the cold weather package that would mean you have cloth seats as I don't believe that package exists on leather seats, they all just have the heated seats if leather, so I wonder if the cloth is part of the reason because I know on my 2015 the seats get plenty warm, often by 10-15 mins I'm turning them to low or off cause it's too warm at that point.

·
Premium Member
2013 RT Classic
533 Posts
Leather heated here. In So Cal so not as cold as you. After about 5 minutes the get ALMOST uncomfortably warm, stay that way for a while then auto turn down.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
FWIW I wear many layers but the seats on my Volkswagen... will burn thru my clothes!
I realize this is an exaggeration, but why would you want them so hot?

Mine work fine. The Heated steering wheel feels so good it is almost theraputic :SM120:

·
Registered
304 Posts
that may not be an exaggeration. I seem to recall something a few years ago about VW having issues with the seats getting so hot they started to burn

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be honest the VW seat can get crazy hot and I wouldn't doubt they'll cause injury but it's my personal preference LOL. I am skinny and wear many layers, and since I bought my car 3 weeks ago it's been below freezing in Chicagoland, both morning and night commutes. My drive is 15 minutes and I have to blast the heater, heated wheel and heated seat to get any comfort. IMO the heated seats is the weak link. Perhaps camerochevy1970 is correct, FCA dumbed down the heat to avoid lawsuits.

FWIW I've experimented out of frustration. During mid drive I'll will cycle thru the heated seat function, Hi, Low, Off and back to Hi, and yes I do feel the heat come on strong for the 4 minuted 'boosted' setting. Afterwards it's back to mild heat. Bummer.
@CalBlacksmith, I relocated from Torrance CA, where 5 minutes of heated seats in low setting is all that's needed. So you can see the shell shock I'm going thru in Chicagoland, I had icicles hanging off the Challenger that stayed for a week. This cold is no joke LOL.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Maybe I don't understand how heated seats work, but I have them in my Challenger R/T, Durango R/T, and a previous Cadillac STS. In all three cars the low setting is so low I can't even tell they're on. This is wearing no jacket. On the high setting they are too hot to sit in without wearing a jacket!?

In my Cadillac they were so hot, that my kids would play a game and see who can sit in them the longest without turning them off! It also had a MED setting that was equivalent to HIGH in the R/T.

So... what's the point of low that can't be felt, and high that is too hot to sit in? I do live in SoCal and 99% of the time drive without a jacket, maybe designed for sub freezing weather and a jacket?

_steve

·
Registered
478 Posts
Mine are fine as well. I really like the heated steering wheel though. I rarely use the seats. I can't wait for summer so I can try out the cooled seats feature!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Its been in the 30s in the morning here in VA and i have heated leather in my 15 SXT Plus. I agree with the OP, mine are not very hot when on the high setting, when on low I can barely tell they are on. This is with jeans and a hoodie on. The heated leather seats that were in my Cherokee Trailhawk were MUCH hotter on high. I'm not sure what gives with the Challenger seats.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Mine work great. The ones I had on my 06 Charger would get uncomfortably warm, to the point that I'd have to turn them off. The Challengers get warm enough, then back down the temp.

And the heated steering wheel is one of those "Holy crap, where has THIS been my whole life" features.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The heated seats on the 15 Challengers are not very warm. For a while I wasn't even sure they were working until I turned them on and felt them with a bare hand. Even then, it is very slight. The ventilated seats work great though and the heated steering wheel gets VERY warm very quickly. Those are more important to me than heated seats, especially when I have the suede inserts and not leather.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,232 Posts
You young whippersnappers, with your pampered tushies and delicate fingers...

...back in the day, REAL men left patches of skin on their vinyl seats from frost bite in the winter, and 3rd degree burns in the summer, AND WE LIKED IT...

...instead of showing off our fancy shmancy valve covers and pretty colored lights, we'd compare chunks of lost skin and burn scars...

...now get off my driveway !

2015 Pitch Black 6M R/T Scat Pack 392
Catch can; custom stripes; HC headlight CAI.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
You young whippersnappers, with your pampered tushies and delicate fingers...

...back in the day, REAL men left patches of skin on their vinyl seats from frost bite in the winter, and 3rd degree burns in the summer, AND WE LIKED IT...

...instead of showing off our fancy shmancy valve covers and pretty colored lights, we'd compare chunks of lost skin and burn scars...

...now get off my driveway !

2015 Pitch Black 6M R/T Scat Pack 392
Catch can; custom stripes; HC headlight CAI.
You forgot the dash pull vents that turned the car into a convection oven, allowing the under hood air to flow into the cabin. a.k.a. air conditioning

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
You forgot the dash pull vents that turned the car into a convection oven, allowing the under hood air to flow into the cabin. a.k.a. air conditioning
If you were driving fast enough, they would move enough air to blow a womans skirt up. Just sayin'. 0:)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yea i found the heated seats to be fairly weak even in comparison to my 12 SRT. They do the job , if what you are looking for is a slight warming of the general rear area on cold mornings.

Living in New Mexico I was mostly concerned with the vented seats and those seem to work great .

Heated steering wheel is seriously hot for some reason

·
Registered
478 Posts
I had forgot about the heated wheel and turned it on by accident one night after work. Now it's something I brag about lol

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
OP here, this is what I noticed about the wimpy heated seats and my counter measure.

OK I have remote start and via uconnect, I set the heated seat and steering wheel to turn on whenever the car starts.

But I notice as I get in (before I push the start button to drive off) the seat and wheel is not activated. Only when I push the start button will the heated functions turn on. I'm pretty sure about this but I could be wrong. So anyways this does not give me a head start on getting warm and comfy as I have to start driving to get the seat to warm.

Here is my countermeasure. I noticed if I cycle the seat from HI, LO, OFF and back to HI the seat will heat up quickly. Its the '4 minute boosted heat' function and this will kick off the heated seats and get you warm. But depending on your preference, the seat returns to the regular HI after 4 minutes and to me at least it's not enough but better than nothing. Depending on the temperature I will cycle thru the seat setting as I drive to warm my butt LOL.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts