Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Challenger 392
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was cleaning my 2015 SRT-392 and noticed if I stood by the rear tire and looked down the side of the car over the hood area I can see a dent in the same spot on each side of the hood. I took my car to the dealer today and was walking around a challenger on the showroom floor and saw the same dents in the same location and found this to be true on every challenger on the lot. I drove to another dealer in town and out of the 6 challengers they had 5 had the same dents in exact same spot. This was random between R/T's, SCAT PACKS and SRT-392's they all had same dents in same spots. Is there anyone else that has noticed this ??

·
Registered
2015 Challenger 392
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dents

I have not seen any other cars with this issue why the challenger you think??

·
Registered
2013 Core
821 Posts
they are not so much dents as they are buckles.

As the robot moves around the hood, marrying the inner and outer panels, it "pushes" some of the metal along. This now extra metal has no where to go when the robot finishes it's welds. The excess metal then buckles, causing a low spot. To fix it, you have to shrink it. If it's in every hood, that my guess.

If it occurs occasionally, it could be a dent caused by some dirt or a crack in the die. It could also be caused by a pin on a fixture binding as the robot removes the panel. These scenarios are usually caught right away and corrected. It wouldn't appear on every car ever built.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Just over the back of the window, passenger side I see a series of three low spots along the hood.
Sit in front of the car, just behind the front tire and again towards the back of the vehicle, vertical wrinkles several inches long.
I won't even comment on what I think about it. Oh, consider I have spent $800 on getting the passenger door fixed and repainted because it came with a very strange dent. I am waiting on reimbursement. Opinion was it did not happen from the inside...of course!

Have I noticed dents in 2015's??

·
Registered
325 Posts
I had dents above my driver side window, but before the roof panel. 3-4 dents that looks almost like a ripple when viewed from standing by the drivers side rear tire.

Definitely came that way, couldn't have happened in that spot naturally for my cars use.

Had a PDR guy fix it

·
Registered
275 Posts
With pics I could probably give you a better guess what the culprit is.... Ive spent 26 years in the Chrysler stamping division and the last 5 in car assembly. Uniform on both sides? My wild guess would be the way it was racked for transport, or the end effector tooling on the end of a robot material handler. Oil on a die will cause "oil buckles"(probably your waves)(presses are notorious leakers, think " old Harley"). Major skins (roofs, apertures, hood, deck and door skins) are struck with as much as 1800 tons force. That is 3million, 600thousand pounds per square inch. A human hair on a die surface will leave a blemish on the panal that is struck upon it. We truly try to strike, ship, and assemble perfect panals, but ain't as easy as it sounds, trust me. Still, the sheet metal on this car is light years better than the skins on my Barracuda. Think of these blems as beauty marks adding old school texture to your individually crafted Challenger! We're aware of the flaws, and like a bad back, we'll massage out the kinks, but it takes time. Dont forget to hug a tool and die maker today, its a dying art. Irish 347.....both of my grandfathers were tool and die makers, and my brother is. I'm the black sheep of the lot, I took an electrical apprenticeship.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Like my Canadian brother Brampton knows, we ain't quite perfect, but there are a hell of a lot of us here in the trenches working at it every day.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Post a foto if able...

Dealer removed dents on my car.

·
Registered
2013 Core
821 Posts
Die marks and usually small and sharp unless a die cracks. Either way, they don't last long. They are caught and repaired. New people pulling parts out of the racks and catching them on the rack only lasts until the boss starts *****ing that his repair area is full. Then they track it down and fix it.

Since its consistent I'm sticking with it being the way it's spotted together

1 - 10 of 10 Posts