Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I've got a 2015 challenger sxt+ and have been meaning to convert the halogen headlight bulbs to LED. I have already done so with the foglamps, but I have tried 5 different 9012 led bulbs from amazon on my challenger and they all have one of 2 problems: either a flickering issue or they can't be clocked, and are at an incorrect rotation. I've tried using 2 different canbus decoders, but even those tend to make my headlights flicker at times, albeit less frequently. I'm not sure what else might fix this, so I am coming here for help. Has anyone here done a halogen-to-LED conversion on their 2015+ challenger? If so, which canbus decoder and led headlight specifically did you use to get the lighting to work properly on the car?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Following...
Sorry for not having the answer but Im very interested because I would like to convert to leds too.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,849 Posts
Ones I have heard work well, read the whole thread about random flicker though

A Guy

·
Premium Member
5,328 Posts
Hi everyone,
I've got a 2015 challenger sxt+ and have been meaning to convert the halogen headlight bulbs to LED. I have already done so with the foglamps, but I have tried 5 different 9012 led bulbs from amazon on my challenger and they all have one of 2 problems: either a flickering issue or they can't be clocked, and are at an incorrect rotation. I've tried using 2 different canbus decoders, but even those tend to make my headlights flicker at times, albeit less frequently. I'm not sure what else might fix this, so I am coming here for help. Has anyone here done a halogen-to-LED conversion on their 2015+ challenger? If so, which canbus decoder and led headlight specifically did you use to get the lighting to work properly on the car?
I have no experience with this mod, but if the car can have them but doesn’t due to trim level, I would say your best bet for upgrading is to buy the LED bulbs that come in the higher trim cars. That would mean going Mopar for the brand and paying the extra costs associated with that, but if it’s designed to work in the higher trim cars, it should work in your as well (assuming other requirements have been met, e.g. the decoders you mentioned).

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,521 Posts
Hi everyone,
I can't answer your question either, but here's a company that does ALOT of automotive lights and they might be able to help.

Lighting Retrofits.....

·
Registered
115 Posts
And I decided to buy these and give them a try. If they are crap I burnt 35 bucks but the reviews are good...

You can find them on Amazon too but the seller does not ship to Germany. Once they arrive I‘ll let you know and post a few pics.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,849 Posts
Your link is to a search you did, required login ;) Good luck, let us know how it goes

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
I have no experience with this mod, but if the car can have them but doesn’t due to trim level, I would say your best bet for upgrading is to buy the LED bulbs that come in the higher trim cars. That would mean going Mopar for the brand and paying the extra costs associated with that, but if it’s designed to work in the higher trim cars, it should work in your as well (assuming other requirements have been met, e.g. the decoders you mentioned).
No factory LED headlights in 2015 Challengers of any trim level. HIDs.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I replaced both the headlights and fog lights with LEDs last year and I'm very happy with them. No flicker or issues. The headlight LEDs were from Carid see below.

·
Premium Member
5,328 Posts
No factory LED headlights in 2015 Challengers of any trim level. HIDs.
Did not know that, but now I do!

Although, that does make me wonder, is there going to be an improvement in headlight performance when replacing stock ones with LEDs?

That’s more of a rhetorical question, and admittedly it’s outside the scope of this thread’s original topic, but I feel like it’s a valid question anyone considering this mod should ask themselves. I mean, given the importance of the headlights’ operation in staying safe during everyday driving situations, any mod that affects them should not be taken lightly IMHO.

<burgeoning rant over>

Nuke, OUT!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Although, that does make me wonder, is there going to be an improvement in headlight performance when replacing stock ones with LEDs?
There's an improvement, for sure. The muddy stock halogens are acceptable, but properly installed/aimed LEDs go a long way in seeing that next deer up the road.

·
Premium Member
5,328 Posts
There's an improvement, for sure. The muddy stock halogens are acceptable, but properly installed/aimed LEDs go a long way in seeing that next deer up the road.
I have no doubt an LED headlight in a housing meant for an LED bulb’s light can outperform other types of bulbs in their respective housings. However. when the scenario comes up of putting an LED bulb in a housing meant for an incandescent bulb‘s light, I start to wonder about the net effect of the bulb change.

Can the halogen housing properly and adequately distribute/project the light from an LED bulb? I don’t know the answer to that, but if I were going to attempt the mod, I would really want to find out the answer before I started, personally speaking.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have no doubt an LED headlight in a housing meant for an LED bulb’s light can outperform other types of bulbs in their respective housings. However. when the scenario comes up of putting an LED bulb in a housing meant for an incandescent bulb‘s light, I start to wonder about the net effect of the bulb change.

Can the halogen housing properly and adequately distribute/project the light from an LED bulb? I don’t know the answer to that, but if I were going to attempt the mod, I would really want to find out the answer before I started, personally speaking.
I can tell you from my experience with the LED conversion kit I purchased and installed, they clearly outperform the OEM halogens. The light distribution/project is even and the light output is much clearer both near and far without being overwhelming using the 6500k-4000lm. It took about 2-3 tweeks to get the light distribution correct but again it's definitely much brighter and clearer then the OEM halogen. This is what they look like at night. They were originally installed October 2018 so they have been on for over a year and as I mentioned, zero issues...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Hi everyone,
BTW if you're interested in upgrading the side markers for LED this is what they look like. The night pic was with my phone so it looks much brighter then they really are at night but still much brighter then OEM and cleaner...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I did a little research during the last few days and found out that two things seem to be important to get a good result and no glare:
The strut (or whatever this is called) with the diode should be as slim as possible and the diode should be in the same position (in relation to the base plate) as the filament of a halogen bulb. If the position is too far off, the light will not be projected properly which results in dark spots or glare.
I hope the LEDs I ordered will arrive soon. I am not satisfied with the output of my halogens at all and driving at night, especially on wet streets, is exhausting.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts