Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
The more expensive halogens have an output of (roughly) 1900 lumens per bulb. As a result the 4000 lumens for the pair of LUMEN bulbs wouldn‘t be much of a difference besides the colour (is it color or colour?). Maybe the white light will do the trick because it seems brighter...? Idk...

So far nobody flashed their lights on me which makes me think that I do not blind the oncoming traffic. I will do a test later. The reason might be that we do have headlights with a projector instead of a reflector. The projector collects and bundles the light much better that the reflector. This is the reason why there is a relatively sharp beam and if this beam is angled downwards in the right angle there should be (almost) no glare.

BTW, why do Challengers not have a luminous range control? Would make things much easier...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Just because people are not "flashing" you doesn't mean that you aren't blinding them. I get blinded by overly-bright headlights all of the time nowadays - I don't even bother "flashing" people anymore - it just makes matters worse because then neither of us can see. :)

So many people drive around with way-too-bright headlights nowadays - unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
As long as the lights are aimed correctly and the cutoff is effective...
To a point... But headlight aiming/cutoff doesn't matter when you or another car are at different heights/angles/slopes (like when one car is coming over the top of a hill, for example) - there will always be times when an oncoming cars headlights can end up right in your eyes - it actually happens quite often, even if the headlights are aimed properly.

i completely understand the desire to have nice bright headlights, but so many headlights go overboard nowadays. It's very obvious when driving around at night. It's getting to the point where it's hard to tell if the other car has their high beams on or not (with the cars that have overly bright headlights).

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,948 Posts
The labeling indicated they are DOT approved...whether true or not...

A Guy

·
Registered
14 Posts
I purchased Oracles Led headlight kit and I get a big dark spot right in the center on my car. This is a pic of my drivers side with a foam block up close and you can see the center on the bulb blocks the light beam. I've tried clocking the bulbs in different directions but really no change.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
What year is your car? Or to be more precise: Do you have a reflector or a projector headlight?

How does the beam pattern look like in a 15 feet distance? Do you have a relatively sharp or blurred line on top? Is the blind spot less noticeable with more distance?

Both types of headlights (reflector and projector) „collect“ and reflect the light in a reflector bowl which is located in the back of the headlight housing and surrounds the bulb. If your bulb looks like the Oracle bulbs I found online, your blind spot most likely is the „shadow“ of the big round shaped metal tip at the top.

·
Registered
122 Posts
BTW: Drove two hours in the dark yesterday with no issues and I‘m still super happy with the 35 bucks I spent for the bulbs.

If the car is not running the light is stable. With the engine running there might be a very minor flickering I noticed while waiting behind another car on a red light. The reflection was “shaking“ just a little bit. It‘s so minor that I am no sure if it‘s the light or the vibrations from the running engine... While driving I cannot notice anything to complain about.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What year is your car? Or to be more precise: Do you have a reflector or a projector headlight?

How does the beam pattern look like in a 15 feet distance? Do you have a relatively sharp or blurred line on top? Is the blind spot less noticeable with more distance?

Both types of headlights (reflector and projector) „collect“ and reflect the light in a reflector bowl which is located in the back of the headlight housing and surrounds the bulb. If your bulb looks like the Oracle bulbs I found online, your blind spot most likely is the „shadow“ of the big round shaped metal tip at the top.
'15 with the projector lenses. Beam pattern is very blurred and the most light I get is facing outwards. Blind spot is noticable no matter the distance unless I'm up close to a wall. That's what I was thinking, the bulb tip is blocking light and distorting the light beam.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hmmm... If you haven‘t done this already you might want to try the following:
If you get the most light outwards I would rotate the bulb 90 degrees and see what happens. At least on my bulbs there is a little allen screw that loosens the base plate. Give it a 90 degree turn and see if that does help in any way. I would keep the other bulb stock (the one that is harder to reach) to have a comparison.

I would also check if the diodes are at the same hight (in relation to the base plate) as the halogen filament. If there is a significant difference, the reflector bowl might not be able to reflect the light properly to the projector lense, where it should be bundled and thrown in the right direction.

If nothing helps I would ask myself:
Is the led light better than halogen? Is it disturbing me or others? Am I satisfied? How much did I pay?
If it‘s better, does not disturb but I‘m not satisfied I would keep it and buy other bulbs.
If it‘s not better and/or disturbs others I‘d change back to halogens and buy new leds.
If I paid 150 bucks I‘d be pissed and contact the seller.
If I paid 35 bucks I‘d be a little pissed but... well... meh... toss them or give them to somebody who might have better results.

Good luck and please keep us updated. Cheers

·
Registered
122 Posts
This is my beam pattern.
I‘d say sharp on the top, the hot spot is in the middle and of course it blurs out a little on the outside. The diodes are on the 3 and 9 o‘clock position as recommended by the manufacturer. How do I know? The cable is in the 12 o‘clock position if the bulbs are installed. I took out the bulb again and checked the position of the diodes with the cable at 12. You can also make a mark with masking tape or whatever you think is best...

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is my beam pattern.
I‘d say sharp on the top, the hot spot is in the middle and of course it blurs out a little on the outside. The diodes are on the 3 and 9 o‘clock position as recommended by the manufacturer. How do I know? The cable is in the 12 o‘clock position if the bulbs are installed. I took out the bulb again and checked the position of the diodes with the cable at 12. You can also make a mark with masking tape or whatever you think is best...
View attachment 985775
Thnx for all the excellent info cymbolic. Just want to clarify, which side is at the 3 or 9 o'clock position? My bulbs also have an Allen screw to align the led board.

·
Registered
122 Posts
With the bulbs installed the leds are supposed to be in the „left and right“ position. At least that is what the manufacturer of my bulbs recommends. Here are some pics that might help you...

The 2nd picture shows the „installed“ position but your manufacturer might recommend otherwise.

And you can also see the main difference. My bulbs do not have a „strut“ (what is the #*&%! word for it?) with some kind of center cap. Mine do have a relatively thin copper tongue that helps reducing heat. As far as I understand it is better to have a thin tongue because it helps to simulate the 360 degree light emittance of a regular halogen bulb.

·
Registered
122 Posts
And another thought... I would not fiddle around and do small 2 degree steps to align the led board. I would rotate the damn thing 90 degrees to see if there is a difference AT ALL and go from there. If successful you can copy the alignment to the other bulb. 😉

41 - 57 of 57 Posts