Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Challenger RT/STP A8
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I see that this chrome trim piece on my challenger is getting a bit faded. I was wondering what you guys have done with your if anything. My initial thought is to wrap it? I did see a YouTube video where a guy takes the chrome trim off with a small screwdriver. There appears to be small inserts that pop out.

Has anyone removed this part and modified it before?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,570 Posts
He does take it off with a small screwdriver...he rips it off! I guess he didn't car, and he knew he was filling the space with the new vinyl piece. I wish it was made to be an overlay. They say you can use it that way, but it's better as a replacement. I'd like the chrome replaced with gloss black like the rest of the trim. They make a blacktop one that's satin dark grey with Blacktop Edition lettering that isn't to bad.

A Guy

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He does take it off with a small screwdriver...he rips it off! I guess he didn't car, and he knew he was filling the space with the new vinyl piece. I wish it was made to be an overlay. They say you can use it that way, but it's better as a replacement. I'd like the chrome replaced with gloss black like the rest of the trim. They make a blacktop one that's satin dark grey with Blacktop Edition lettering that isn't to bad.

A Guy
Yeah the guy in the video prys the piece off with a screwdriver, and then he rips off the rest. It seems he did that as he was replacing the entire piece and thus did not care if he ripped it off. I'm wondering if I want to reuse the same piece, just want to take it off to wrap if this would be possible?

https://youtu.be/WcIPkSg45Wg

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,570 Posts
I think to take it off you'd have to be very, very lucky not to bend it as there are a bunch of pegs likely glued into holes behind it

A Guy

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think to take it off you'd have to be very, very lucky not to bend it as there are a bunch of pegs likely glued into holes behind it

A Guy
Yeah might be tough. Has anyone else gone about it in a different way? Wrapped it in place? Paint it in place? Thoughts...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,570 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hello All,
So I ended up purchasing a black steering wheel ring from Amazon to take care of this. Received it a couple of days ago and installed it today. It comes with some adhesive on the back and was easy to install. I'm happy with the end results will attach pictures for those interested.

20200708_102731.jpg
20200708_103319.jpg
20200708_103306.jpg
20200708_103805.jpg

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
1,991 Posts
Hello All,
So I ended up purchasing a black steering wheel ring from Amazon to take care of this. Received it a couple of days ago and installed it today. It comes with some adhesive on the back and was easy to install. I'm happy with the end results will attached pictures for those I interested.
I did the same thing months ago and it still looks great. :cool:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Here's mine, easy to take off

Reactions: Ashoka

·
Registered
2018 Billet SXT Plus
22 Posts
PFJsCUSTOMS,

Do you have to remove the chrome ring first, or does the new black one double side tape right over the top of it?

·
Registered
459 Posts
i removed the chrome ring first,but you can put it over top of old one if you prefer. Got mine a [email protected]

Reactions: UPNATM 18

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PFJsCUSTOMS,

Do you have to remove the chrome ring first, or does the new black one double side tape right over the top of it?
Hey UPNATM 18,

I suppose it could be done either way, but I just went ahead and placed it over the chrome ring. My thought was if I took the chrome ring off this new one might sink in a little too much?

Like the way it came out!
Hope that help.

20200709_125322.jpg
20200709_125332.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
Remember, IF that airbag deploys, anything you glue/stick onto the vinyl cover could separate and fly at your unprotected face. That's gonna leave a mark.

Reactions: UPNATM 18

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the safety reminder, but if the airbag deploys I think there is more pressing concerns than a small piece of plastic.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,570 Posts
Here's mine, easy to take off View attachment 997769
This one is the correct slim size

Hey UPNATM 18,

I suppose it could be done either way, but I just went ahead and placed it over the chrome ring. My thought was if I took the chrome ring off this new one might sink in a little too much?

Like the way it came out!
Hope that help.

View attachment 997785 View attachment 997786
This one appears much wider and doesn't appear it would fit in the recessed area, only over the original

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
498 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
341 Posts
I must agree. Just a little too large to me. But what matters is that you like it better than without it!

At least you have options.
I've found a couple things for my Challenger, but haven't found anything I could do for my steering wheel to dress it up a little and mute the light silver on it.

83644013.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,570 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
I was afraid the airbag would go off too. Lol. I just did it slowly and firmly and they pop right out. I would be surprised if it went off really. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts