Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am very happy our R/T finally got pushed to were it needed to go...no sure if I am glad they left the 5.7L powerplant generating 375hp...wish they couldve pushed it to 420hp at least.

My question now is, will the '15 mustang push the benchmark down by coming out with better numbers? I've heard this new chassis is 200lbs lighter and they might push the power up a bit. For the 5.0. Are there any official specs?

P.S. when is the new camaro coming out?

·
Registered
535 Posts
The HP thing doesn't bother me, my challenger will get more looks over both of them

·
Registered
411 Posts
The HP thing doesn't bother me, my challenger will get more looks over both of them

Mustang is a girls car that I have trouble fitting in, the Challenger is the semi truck of muscle cars, but that's what I love about it, I'm glad it's heavy, I'm glad it looks like direct transplant from 1970. Mustang will never even compare.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Any new HP bumps on the 5.0 will be modest

Ford admits it. They've already squeezed as much as you can out of the little 5.0. That is one of the reasons they went lighter. The 15 extra HP in the 6.4 should make up for the "Stangs" 200lb diet. The 6.4 will have a slight edge in straight line acceleration. The new Stand will "eat the 6.4," on a curvy track.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ford admits it. They've already squeezed as much as you can out of the little 5.0. That is one of the reasons they went lighter. The 15 extra HP in the 6.4 should make up for the "Stangs" 200lb diet. The 6.4 will have a slight edge in straight line acceleration. The new Stand will "eat the 6.4," on a curvy track.
They do? Well they went from 412 to 420 to even 444 in the naturally aspirated Boss motor which runs the 1/4 in the mid 12's. What makes you think the newer lighter Mustang 5.0 will lose to the 6.4 when already they're not?

On another note, its still a girls car, but the performance that Ford gets out of that engine is inspiring and can not be denied.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Who said that? Because there is still more to be had from the engine in N/A form. No numbers have been released yet, but it would not be hard to get a bit more from a massage of the engine. They have also been working on a twin turbo for the Cobra Jet program. The Mustang is getting smaller and lighter to be marketable to the European crowd, not because there is no more power to be found in the Coyote platform.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I don't think that's the case. Roush and Saleen are using the same engine platform and are achieving high HP's with them. However, FORD did release a press conference a few years ago when the 5.0 came out warning the owners not to mod their cars.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Don't care who's faster the new mustang is incredibly ugly in my opinion. The back end is hideous.

If you happen to race one, with any luck, perhaps you'll be fortunate enough NOT to have to see that Mustang "back end." It would be far better, if the opposing driver had to stare at the rear end of your Challenger :fight:.

Here's hopin'

Regards,

Gary aka "beamg5"

·
Registered
81 Posts
The 5.0 is a nice engine...but until it dyno's anywhere close to the 392 it's just another mustang engine. Best I've seen them put down is 360whp stock...that's about 50whp short.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Fair enough...let me restate this...

Who said that? Because there is still more to be had from the engine in N/A form. No numbers have been released yet, but it would not be hard to get a bit more from a massage of the engine. They have also been working on a twin turbo for the Cobra Jet program. The Mustang is getting smaller and lighter to be marketable to the European crowd, not because there is no more power to be found in the Coyote platform.

1. There have been several articles where "Ford reps leaked rumors that any HP bumps would be very modest on GT 5.0's.

2. Sure, you can squeeze more power out of the little 5.0 with Comp CAMS and Intakes....but I doubt the increases will pass 2015/16 CAFE standards. This why the 392 has not seen bigger NA HP increases. SRT may be able to get some big bumps on the SRT premium, because they know that they will not sell too many.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The 5.0 is a nice engine...but until it dyno's anywhere close to the 392 it's just another mustang engine. Best I've seen them put down is 360whp stock...that's about 50whp short.
Stock the best I've seen is 380, mine put down 374, I think. It was awhile ago. The Coyote motor will not have the out right potential of the 392 or the LSx motors. It is a great motor that performs well at everything. It rocks at the 1/4 mile, decent on gas, and is a blast on a road course. It makes power to 7500 rpm with a Boss manifold, and that over Rev is awesome mid corner :)
But back to the dyno, I guess it's lucky for us Mustang guys that you don't race on a dyno, and you have to bring the whole car to the track.
The Mustang GT was never meant to be a muscle car, it's a balance package. The GT500 is the muscle car in the Ford lineup.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Don't care who's faster the new mustang is incredibly ugly in my opinion. The back end is hideous.

Not only that but it has the ugliest looking front end in the history of the mustang. Seriously.

I just can't get over how ugly those headlights are. Just awful. I'm happy I'm not mustang fan lol. I'd have a case of serious depression. Glad I'm a mopar guy through and through!

Reactions: Bad daytona

·
Registered
380 Posts
The looks of the new Mustang is not "that" bad to me. It is far from being the ugliest imo. I have seen many sources say many things about the new Stang. I believe the weight reduction is more like 150 lbs. So the new car should weigh about 3500 lbs. HP? I heard no know if it is true but supposedly the 5.0 was getting bigger valves for the heads and bigger bump stick. Target HP was reportedly north of 470. Could be just conjecture and nothing more. The new Stang is already out, right?

·
Registered
133 Posts
IMHO (being somewhat Ford loyal) the 15 mustangs are hideous! But, i don't see a 5.0 putting out that kind of HP without a blower of some sort. 420 seems about as good as they're going to get (which i suppose ain't bad out of a 302)

·
Registered
157 Posts
The looks of the new Mustang is not "that" bad to me. It is far from being the ugliest imo. I have seen many sources say many things about the new Stang. I believe the weight reduction is more like 150 lbs. So the new car should weigh about 3500 lbs. HP? I heard no know if it is true but supposedly the 5.0 was getting bigger valves for the heads and bigger bump stick. Target HP was reportedly north of 470. Could be just conjecture and nothing more. The new Stang is already out, right?
Not a fan of the new looks, but it should perform well. Truthfully, I didn't like the 2013 change that made the GT look like the GT500, but that's just my opinion. I would expect around 150 drop in weight, just to be realistic. I've read 450 hp as a target, it's supposed to have larger exhaust valve, and higher lift on the exhaust cam.
No numbers have been officially released yet.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Looks like Ford is putting the 5.0 Boss engine in the GT. New engine has same specs as the Boss 5.0. So looks like 444 hp for the GT.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts