Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the PCM is the same for all vehicles after the 2015 model year? Basically I am looking to buy this if possible:

If I could get away with buying that PCM for my 2019 TA 392, then using it to do a Diablo cross ship, I could save a lot of money and keep my current PCM in case of warranty issues. I don't know if that would work though to send to Diablo. Anyone else know for sure?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Its my understanding NO.
PCM are not all the same. there are calibration differences between yrs. 15-16 seem to be grouped together alot. 2018 seems to often be a stand alone yr. meaning they have something specific to certain yrs.
The wrong PCM installed, could get real spendy in a hurry. Why risk it, just buy the diablo PCM if they are still available and keep your oem one. I would not cheap out on this one.
BTW, your blow your warranty on your brand new 2019, sure you want to do that?

·
Registered
571 Posts
]
If I could get away with buying that PCM for my 2019 TA 392, then using it to do a Diablo cross ship, I could save a lot of money and keep my current PCM in case of warranty issues. I don't know if that would work though to send to Diablo. Anyone else know for sure?
If you think a spare PCM will hide the fact you are tuned you're mistaken. As soon as you use a different PCM a code will be thrown in the BCM alerting a dealer a different PCM was used. P1400. Bye bye warranty.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am aware that Dodge could still determine I did a PCM swap if it came down to it. It seems pretty well established that if you want to limit your chances of having your warranty denied as much as possible you should at least keep your old PCM. I was trying to do that in as cheap a way as possible.

I have not made up my mind yet if I will take the risk yet, but I can also tell you I'm not waiting 6 years to start modding my car. It's only an issue if there's a major power train problem under warranty, and even then is there anyone with firsthand experience that has had their warranty denied for a tune? It's a risk, I'm still weighing how much I want to take the risk tweaking things this early on. That's why I made the post, just to see if this was an option. I could do the Diablo intune i3 and PCM swap for $430 or whatever it is right now and then buy this PCM to send in for $200 and that would be pretty reasonable. The $1000 Diablo wants for the i3 plus the unlocked PCM is just too much to justify along with the potential hit on the warranty. I could just swap my PCM all together instead of buying an unlocked one, but I just feel more comfortable having my original PCM if something does go wrong requiring warranty work.

Either way, it sounds like the 2015 PCM won't work for my 2019, so that covers it anyway. I'll run stock for a while and reevaluate later. I just want to put some work into it to make it mine and not some stock 392, and the only reasonable place to start is with a tune. So it's gonna happen at some point, warranty be damned!

·
Registered
860 Posts
I am aware that Dodge could still determine I did a PCM swap if it came down to it. It seems pretty well established that if you want to limit your chances of having your warranty denied as much as possible you should at least keep your old PCM. I was trying to do that in as cheap a way as possible.

I have not made up my mind yet if I will take the risk yet, but I can also tell you I'm not waiting 6 years to start modding my car. It's only an issue if there's a major power train problem under warranty, and even then is there anyone with firsthand experience that has had their warranty denied for a tune? It's a risk, I'm still weighing how much I want to take the risk tweaking things this early on. That's why I made the post, just to see if this was an option. I could do the Diablo intune i3 and PCM swap for $430 or whatever it is right now and then buy this PCM to send in for $200 and that would be pretty reasonable. The $1000 Diablo wants for the i3 plus the unlocked PCM is just too much to justify along with the potential hit on the warranty. I could just swap my PCM all together instead of buying an unlocked one, but I just feel more comfortable having my original PCM if something does go wrong requiring warranty work.

Either way, it sounds like the 2015 PCM won't work for my 2019, so that covers it anyway. I'll run stock for a while and reevaluate later. I just want to put some work into it to make it mine and not some stock 392, and the only reasonable place to start is with a tune. So it's gonna happen at some point, warranty be damned!
There have been many posts on warranty denials because of a tune or suspected tune. The swapping back your original PCM trick dos not work. Key information is stored in multiple locations and once you re-install your PCM the information will not match.

It really comes down to the service tech, what he reports and what information gets forwarded to FCA.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There have been many posts on warranty denials because of a tune or suspected tune. The swapping back your original PCM trick dos not work. Key information is stored in multiple locations and once you re-install your PCM the information will not match.

It really comes down to the service tech, what he reports and what information gets forwarded to FCA.
So would you say there is no point in buying the new PCM, and just doing the swap if you're going to take the risk? Odd that so many would choose to buy a new PCM if it doesn't provide any benefit over the swap

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
Play and pay, if something goes wrong under warranty. No way of hiding it anymore.

Tunes are very expensive for not a huge bump in HP.

IMO, not worth the risk if one is concerned about warranty.

One can act dumb about it to a dealer, but they will "see" what really went on.

·
Registered
375 Posts
With everything in cars now a days being computer controlled its never a good idea to go back in years for the pcm. Even if they are mostly the same, with emissions changing all the time, computer parts get cheaper every year. One year may use the same processor but have different chips with more memory in later years. Noting that nothing may be changed in those years programming wise when you go to tune them the tuners may have found ways to do things the older pcm's just cant do. Also again with emissions changing all the time as noted by SunnyS they change and tweek stuff that may not be possible in the older pcm's. You never fail using newer pcm's in older cars because they will be able to run just like the older pcm's did using the same or similar code, however going older in the pcm with a newer car is just not a good idea because the reverse is not true. Its like trying to run a ps2 game on a ps4 console can work but running a ps4 game on a ps2 console is not going to.

Ron

1 - 10 of 10 Posts