Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Taking a look at a R/T 5.7L V8 auto (2015).

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice for me:

- Does anyone know the CO2 emissions?
- Can it go semi auto? (Never driven auto before and sometimes like driving in a lower gear than I should through tunnels for example 0:))
- Any specific things I should be looking out for when checking the vehicle?
- How long typically do the gearboxes last on these models before starting to develop faults?
- How much do you generally pay for a full service on these?

Thanks for any help/advice, I'm so excited to be looking for one of these cars and want to make sure I get a good one!

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
I have a 2015 R/T A8. I am not sure I'll be of any help but, here it goes.

CO2 Emissions, Who cares, I don't run my car in an enclosed space.
Semi Auto, Auto Stick? Yes, If you want to hear the exhaust roar in a tunnel or under rail road overpasses, your going to need exhaust work first. Delete Resonators and change or delete mufflers too.
Things to look for, Oil, Coolant, Transmission or Rear end leaks, Excessive engine noise (Easy to hear if the exhaust is stock) Slippage when shifting, rear end noise.
As to how long before developing problems, they are but 3 years old (the 8 speeds) probably too soon to tell.
Service costs... As I only have 7k miles on mine, all it has had done is oil changes, I don't know. I know some people with these motors pay around 60 bucks for an oil change, I am friends with managers and owners at a few service shops and repair shops in my area, paying cash gets it done for me for about 30 bucks. YMMV....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that :)

CO2 Emissions, Who cares, I don't run my car in an enclosed space
Here in the UK vehicle tax is based on CO2 emissions, it varies quite a lot and after a long search cannot find details about it :) Never mind though I'll just assume it's at the expensive end lol.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts

Here in the UK vehicle tax is based on CO2 emissions, it varies quite a lot and after a long search cannot find details about it :) Never mind though I'll just assume it's at the expensive end lol.
I wouldn't assume that, being high performance doesn't mean high pollution. I had a '63 Vette 340hp/327 when living in N. Jersey and they test emissions annually. The old bastard with the stick up my pipe was red in the face because no matter how hard I hit the throttle, his little dial never moved. Today's computer controlled fuel delivery systems are designed to keep emissions down to almost nothing.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

Really? So an old beater gets taxed greater than a new "clean" one??? I thought you left the EU. Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's a provision for old and classic vehicles I think. I don't mind that form of taxation, incentivises purchases of eco friendly cars. Incentivised taxation is pretty effective.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
There's a provision for old and classic vehicles I think. I don't mind that form of taxation, incentivises purchases of eco friendly cars. Incentivised taxation is pretty effective.
We pay the gas guzzler tax........WHY?????? There is more oil in this Country than the Country can store. I think the guzzler taxation should END. But I won't let it deter me.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have a 2015 R/T A8. I am not sure I'll be of any help but, here it goes.

CO2 Emissions, Who cares, I don't run my car in an enclosed space.
Semi Auto, Auto Stick? Yes, If you want to hear the exhaust roar in a tunnel or under rail road overpasses, your going to need exhaust work first. Delete Resonators and change or delete mufflers too.
Things to look for, Oil, Coolant, Transmission or Rear end leaks, Excessive engine noise (Easy to hear if the exhaust is stock) Slippage when shifting, rear end noise.
As to how long before developing problems, they are but 3 years old (the 8 speeds) probably too soon to tell.
Service costs... As I only have 7k miles on mine, all it has had done is oil changes, I don't know. I know some people with these motors pay around 60 bucks for an oil change, I am friends with managers and owners at a few service shops and repair shops in my area, paying cash gets it done for me for about 30 bucks. YMMV....
I pay 100 bucks per, full synthetic at either Mobil 1 or dealer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We pay the gas guzzler tax........WHY?????? There is more oil in this Country than the Country can store. I think the guzzler taxation should END. But I won't let it deter me.
Well, it's probably less to do with supply and more to do with environmental issues. Here in London we're starting to get advisories to not take babies/infants outside on rare occasions as the pollution is dangerous for them.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I wouldn't assume that, being high performance doesn't mean high pollution. I had a '63 Vette 340hp/327 when living in N. Jersey and they test emissions annually. The old bastard with the stick up my pipe was red in the face because no matter how hard I hit the throttle, his little dial never moved. Today's computer controlled fuel delivery systems are designed to keep emissions down to almost nothing.
Jersey used to be up to something, they would fail older non classic cars for no reason. I was taking my 83 280ZX in in the early 90s, it kept failing emissions. Tested it in my Dads shop in PA multiple times, emissions were insanely low. Went to inspection at least 3 times and they failed it but wouldn't tell me the numbers. Finally they got sick of me I think and passed it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hello!

Taking a look at a R/T 5.7L V8 auto (2015).

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice for me:

- Does anyone know the CO2 emissions?
- Can it go semi auto? (Never driven auto before and sometimes like driving in a lower gear than I should through tunnels for example 0:))
- Any specific things I should be looking out for when checking the vehicle?
- How long typically do the gearboxes last on these models before starting to develop faults?
- How much do you generally pay for a full service on these?

Thanks for any help/advice, I'm so excited to be looking for one of these cars and want to make sure I get a good one!
Hello to the U.K.

You can try these for CO2 emissions:

Fuel Economy is a website that lists fuel economy information about all US cars. You might find something there.

Second, if you have the full VIN of the car, click this link www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=YOURVINHERE. You will get a message that says "Sorry, a Window Sticker is unavailable for this VIN" That's fine. In the url of the webpage, replace YOURVINHERE with your full VIN in all CAPITAL letters and you should get the car's original window sticker. There is a line on the sticker in small print to the right of the "Annual fuel COST" that says something about how much CO2 the car emits. My 2014 R/T produced 487 grams of CO2 per mile.

Third: You might be able to get the owners manual from this site: www.mopar.com/dodge/en-us/care/owners-manual.html . Click ADD A VEHICLE, select 2015 Challenger, you should be able to download a pdf of the manual. You can read all about driving the automatic transmission in manual mode and other great features of the car. There is also a chance the page won't work from outside the USA.

Say HI to Mike and Edd if you see them.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,071 Posts
Interesting small print ;)

This vehicle emits 389 grams CO2 per mile

A Guy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Maintenence logs

I would try and check the maint. logs from the past if buying used. Car fax or if the previous owner kept the receipts. Last thing you want is to get behind on these new Hemi's. They can hit your wallet hard. Also, check and see if the rotors are warped. They are notorious for that.
Congrats on the purchase:smile:

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Interesting small print ;)

This vehicle emits 389 grams CO2 per mile

A Guy

Plants lives on CO2 don't they? Drive the Challenger and feed the plants!

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Motor Trend states that between the SXT V6 and the Hellcat V8 the CO2 emissions are 0.84-1.22 lb/mile. So the V6 is 0.84 and the Hellcat is 1.22. That leaves the 5.7L and the 6.4L somewhere in between.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts