Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first dodge challenger and I love the car so far. There is button near traction control that says sport and when I push it a green icon lights up on the dash. I don't seem to notice much difference but shifting seems a bit tighter and more reactive. Is that all it does in the 6 speed manual? Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interestingly enough after just starting the car and driving in 2nd I enabled 'sport mode' and felt a slight acceleration change. The car was not warmed up so who knows. Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I also understand that it opens the butterfly valve on the active exhaust. Makes her scream even louder. I haven't experimented much with mine yet, but I believe that another member here used a boroscope to confirm that it opens the valve.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Opens the exhaust, puts the traction mode in whatever position you set it, adjusts the steering feel per whatever you set it, and makes the throttle much more sensitive. The sensitive throttle is probably what you felt when you said you felt it get faster.

Hold it steady at a speed then hit the sport button and it will feel like it jumps a little because it makes the throttle way more sensitive.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2015 Challenger ScatPack
227 Posts
Opens the exhaust, puts the traction mode in whatever position you set it, adjusts the steering feel per whatever you set it, and makes the throttle much more sensitive. The sensitive throttle is probably what you felt when you said you felt it get faster.

Hold it steady at a speed then hit the sport button and it will feel like it jumps a little because it makes the throttle way more sensitive.

That's what I experienced. I held throttle still and activated sport and I felt acceleration. I was wondering if there was a timing change?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I actually get better MPG when I drive in sport mode, city and highway, especially when going uphill. Obviously if you stomp it you use more gas, but if you drive it sensibly the more responsive throttle makes it easier to feather for hills and hold steady in higher gears.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I also understand that it opens the butterfly valve on the active exhaust. Makes her scream even louder. I haven't experimented much with mine yet, but I believe that another member here used a boroscope to confirm that it opens the valve.
R/Ts have active exhaust?

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
105 Posts
As others have stated, it opens the butterfly valve (Scat and SRT) and increases throttle sensitivity. I prefer to drive in Sport Mode because that is what my foot is "calibrated" to. I don't shift as smoothly in the regular mode for whatever reason. I also like how my wife hates how low the exhaust is in Sport Mode which is all the more reason to leave it enabled most of the time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
On the r/t it does change the exhaust tone, ever so slightly but noticeable. On my 2015 stock I love the sound of the exhaust when cold or first started, just the right amount of drone and rumble. Once warm quiets down and drone disappears... During this time period if you switch it into sport you can hear a difference. Not sure what all that is about perhaps something with the throttle response even if the car is at standstill and no throttle is applied??

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
On the r/t it does change the exhaust tone, ever so slightly but noticeable. On my 2015 stock I love the sound of the exhaust when cold or first started, just the right amount of drone and rumble. Once warm quiets down and drone disappears... During this time period if you switch it into sport you can hear a difference. Not sure what all that is about perhaps something with the throttle response even if the car is at standstill and no throttle is applied??
Since you have an R/T Plus there is no actual change to the exhaust itself, so whatever change you're hearing is a result of the modified throttle sensitivity which essentially translates less throttle input into applying more throttle compared to normal mode.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I think it changes the ignition timing because the car seems to pull a little harder to me. Some are saying that they are getting better fuel mileage which would also indicate a little more ignition timing. Definitely a difference.

It also lowers the traction control and ESP a bit, not full off, but it will allow more wheel-spin. You can also have it put the steering in sport mode. On my car because it has performance pages, I have it set up to Engine and Traction Control and I leave the Steering at Normal.

I should also mention on Automatic Trans cars it changes the Shift pattern so that the shifts occur at a higher RPM and are faster.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Since you have an R/T Plus there is no actual change to the exhaust itself, so whatever change you're hearing is a result of the modified throttle sensitivity which essentially translates less throttle input into applying more throttle compared to normal mode.
While I totally agree I do know the idle sound changes even when no throttle is depressed. Am leaning towards it changing more than just sensitivity.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
While I totally agree I do know the idle sound changes even when no throttle is depressed. Am leaning towards it changing more than just sensitivity.
I could very well change more, such as ignition or cam timing, but I can tell you 100% that there's no change with the exhaust. The 392 and Hellcat are the only ones with active exhaust, so any change in exhaust note would have to be caused by a change in what the engine is doing.

·
Registered
2017 T/A 5.7 A8 front and rear strut braces frame connectors
1,294 Posts
i was reading somewhere that if you hit the sport-mode button on the 2015 that it would take the nibble out of 2nd gear when the transmission was cold???

1 - 20 of 32 Posts