Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car is going on day 4 of being in the shop at the dealer. I got a call late yesterday saying they couldn't figure out the problem and were contacting FCA to see what to do. The car has 32,000 plus mile on it. About a month ago, the check engine light came on and I took it right to the dealer. Code read out cylinder #5 misfire. It came on when I started the car. It cleared after several days while waiting to get into the dealer. Technician pulled the coil pack on cylinder, found a little condensation ( I don't wash my engine) and swapped coil packs, problem gone. A couple of weeks later, check engine light comes on. I take it to dealer and code reads #5 cylinder misfire. Cleared next day on it's own but I noticed my gas mileage for same daily 50 mile round trip slightly decreases about 1.5 mpg. Took 2 weeks to get into the dealer this time and got it in Monday. It's now Thursday. They again swapped coil packs. Problem still there. Changed spark plug, still there. Disconnected my oil catch can and put original hose on - still there. Re-torqued intake bolts, problem still there. It appears to be manifesting the same problem on occasion in other cylinders. So, they're contacting FCA as the troubleshooting website the dealer uses doesn't address this problem. They gave us a 2017 Jeep Cherokee to use but there's no comparison. I'm thinking a computer problem but they are scratching their heads on this one. Any ideas? I want my car back:crying:. This dealer has been great to work with. The general manager and I are both into the old Mopars and talk frequently. He assured me they will get the problem fixed. They have their most senior tech on it and he and I have talked. Very knowledgeable guy.
Terry

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
What did the spark plugs look like? Did they try cleaning or swapping fuel injectors? Could be a bad spray pattern from the injector. My friend had a celica that would misfire on cyl 3. I swapped the 1 and 3 injector and the misfire moved to cylinder 1 which meant bad injector. Replaced that injector and car was fixed.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What did the spark plugs look like? Did they try cleaning or swapping fuel injectors? Could be a bad spray pattern from the injector. My friend had a celica that would misfire on cyl 3. I swapped the 1 and 3 injector and the misfire moved to cylinder 1 which meant bad injector. Replaced that injector and car was fixed.
Yes, they swapped coil pack and there was no change and so they swapped the injector, no change. They were hoping to see the problem move but it didn't happen. And they checked the spark plug. I'm wondering also if it's an MDS/ computer problem. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Yes, they swapped coil pack and there was no change and so they swapped the injector, no change. They were hoping to see the problem move but it didn't happen. And they checked the spark plug. I'm wondering also if it's an MDS/ computer problem. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks.
Possibly, although I don't know which cylinders use the MDS lifters off hand. Good luck!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found/corrected problem? Not really.

My car is going on day 4 of being in the shop at the dealer. I got a call late yesterday saying they couldn't figure out the problem and were contacting FCA to see what to do. The car has 32,000 plus mile on it. About a month ago, the check engine light came on and I took it right to the dealer. Code read out cylinder #5 misfire. It came on when I started the car. It cleared after several days while waiting to get into the dealer. Technician pulled the coil pack on cylinder, found a little condensation ( I don't wash my engine) and swapped coil packs, problem gone. A couple of weeks later, check engine light comes on. I take it to dealer and code reads #5 cylinder misfire. Cleared next day on it's own but I noticed my gas mileage for same daily 50 mile round trip slightly decreases about 1.5 mpg. Took 2 weeks to get into the dealer this time and got it in Monday. It's now Thursday. They again swapped coil packs. Problem still there. Changed spark plug, still there. Disconnected my oil catch can and put original hose on - still there. Re-torqued intake bolts, problem still there. It appears to be manifesting the same problem on occasion in other cylinders. So, they're contacting FCA as the troubleshooting website the dealer uses doesn't address this problem. They gave us a 2017 Jeep Cherokee to use but there's no comparison. I'm thinking a computer problem but they are scratching their heads on this one. Any ideas? I want my car back:crying:. This dealer has been great to work with. The general manager and I are both into the old Mopars and talk frequently. He assured me they will get the problem fixed. They have their most senior tech on it and he and I have talked. Very knowledgeable guy.
Terry
So after 16 days, they asked me to come get my car and drive it to see if the engine warning light comes back on. It looks like they see misfires on different cylinders but not strong on long enough to give the warning light. Looks like they may have been able to move it around. How does the computer know when to fire- there must be a sensor somewhere. Doesn't mention if they checked it. This is the second time it's been in for this problem. They disconnected my oil catch can which I'll leave disconnected at this point. They told me an incorrect oil change can cause problems and wanted to know who does my oil changes - I told him they have done every oil change on the car. Anyway, I'm back to driving it and hope I don't get the warning light when I'm out in the middle of nowhere. How will I know if it's just this misfire and not something more serious?
Terry

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
936 Posts
There is a crankshaft position sensor and a camshaft position sensor. Could definitely be one of those.

Could also be a mechanical problem - cam or valvetrain related. How is the oil pressure?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
16 days and no teardown...just essentially diagnosing?! That's a lot of time for a whole lot of nuttin if you ask me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
16 days and no teardown...just essentially diagnosing?! That's a lot of time for a whole lot of nuttin if you ask me.

Oil pressure is 52 psi at idle. I really love the car. I'm nervous about taking it very far from home. The oil catch can has been on the engine for 25,000 miles and they wanted it disconnected to see if anything changed. No change is what they told me. So, they want me to drive it to see if it happens a third time. I thought it was interesting in the diagnosis that they see misfires "and all cylinders are counting some".
Terry

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
I can not see how a catch can or oil change (done by the dealer) could possibly be the cause of a misfire? someone either educate me or take it to another dealer, next they will be telling you it is misfiring because you are running too much air pressure in you tires!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
I can not see how a catch can or oil change (done by the dealer) could possibly be the cause of a misfire? someone either educate me or take it to another dealer, next they will be telling you it is misfiring because you are running too much air pressure in you tires!
So does this mean fuzzy dice hanging from a rear view mirror may cause premature engine wear? Seriously, what is with some dealerships....16 days and it led them to suspect the catch can?

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
I wonder if they shop suspects the catch can or its lines create a vacuum leak?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
I wonder if they shop suspects the catch can or its lines create a vacuum leak?
If they suspect the catch can causes a vacuum leak, then I hope they used a vacuum gauge or looked at the MAP sensor output during the 16 days they had it. BTW I had a loose connection between my catch can and intake when I first installed it (hose ID was too big) and it did not cause a misfire. I even had manifold bolts that were almost finger tight that did not cause a misfire either. I really would like to know in detail the steps they took to diagnose the car?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Of course its the catch can causing the problem...., because its a non-stock item you added. That way they've identified the problem and more importantly, it's not Dodge's fault so no coverage under warranty. Don't be surprised.., its Just the dealership being a dealership. No soup for you ! :surprise:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In fairness, I feel the dealer wanted to correct the problem and kept the car hoping to get the problem to repeat after changing parts. They loaned us a 2017 Jeep Cherokee during this time at no charge. They kept me informed of what was going on with periodic phone calls. I know the electrical/electronic systems on the cars can present many unusual problems. Heck, some people may disagree, but my 71 Challenger has had problems that takes me some time to troubleshoot. Go to a website where people are looking for answers for problems on their cars - there's lots of them asking for troubleshooting help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts