Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi guys, I'm I need of some help if possible.

I've been keeping my 2015 Challenger Shaker automatic off the road and in my garage for the winter.

It has very low miles at 8,000. And well looked after.

However, I needed to move it a few days back, but the battery ran flat. So I decided to pull the red ribbon cable to manually override it into neutral to push it.

I then clipped it all back down into place. I then put it on charge and it fired right up into life, and I moved it again, but this time under its own power without any problems at all. :)

I left it a few days, and yesterday I went to start it up; only to find it wouldn't start! 馃

It would then not allow me to turn the power off either.

Then I noticed a message on the cluster stating " Vehicle not in Park (it was) service transmission, do not take it out of drive, and do not turn off the engine until you have reached desired location". Also with the shifter not lighting up at all.

With this , I instantly assumed it was that manual override lever I pulled just a few days prior.. I've been under the car and it is intact and in the correct position and not stuck. The car is definitely in Park also.the lever is all clipped down into place correctly also.

I did check again and the lever works correctly, if I pull it, I can roll the car freely, when I lock it back into position, the car won't allow me to move it.

After digging around, I found my transmission fuse (15 amp ) number 29 in front fuse box was blown out? Not sure how that happened.

So I replaced it with a fuse from the cigar lighter to see if that would fix my issue. However, it did not. :(

However, my shifter now lights up with all RED flashing lights.. I still have the same message on the cluster stating its not in Park.

But after looking at the screen for a while I also noticed another message in red come up stating " Service Electronic Stability". In not sure what that is?

I've has the battery disconnected over night and put the battery on charge just to rule that out. The battery If fully charged and holding charge just fine.

I've also tried jump starting but again, it's made no difference.

Can anybody help me diagnose this issue at all? Huge thanks in advance for any help offered. :)

Premium Member
Undo your batter cables, wait a few minutes and do a hard re-boot. I bet you solve your problem.

Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
Undo your batter cables, wait a few minutes and do a hard re-boot. I bet you solve your problem.
Yep, I caused that situation by accident once, and got out of it by disconnecting battery, (hit the brake pedal to kill remaining charge in the system) reconnecting, turning on the car and it let me move the shifter in and out of park, then start it.
The transmission was in Park, but the Shifter was in Neutral, with the car shut off. I used the pull strap to disengage parking pawl, and moved the car, then did the above, and felt extremely lucky.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As mentioned above, I've disconnected the battery. It was also left disconnected over night. This was done multiple times ans it has not cured the problem.

Thank you for your input. :)

Put a battery tender on it.
As mentioned above, its been on charge over night with a full charge and its holding its charge perfectly. I've also had a jump pack on it. Non of these worked unfortunately. Thank you.

Yep, I caused that situation by accident once, and got out of it by disconnecting battery, (hit the brake pedal to kill remaining charge in the system) reconnecting, turning on the car and it let me move the shifter in and out of park, then start it.
The transmission was in Park, but the Shifter was in Neutral, with the car shut off. I used the pull strap to disengage parking pawl, and moved the car, then did the above, and felt extremely lucky.
Wish disconnecting the battery would of worked for me, but unfortunately I'm not that lucky lol

Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
Check to make certain that the manual park release is completely seated on the down (stowed) position. If it doesn't seat completely, pull it all the way up and return it to the down position. If this doesn't work, a trip to the service department might be needed.

Registered
^This. Most likely you've pulled MPR linkage slightly out of position, the manual park release system/linkage/sensor can be finicky...if able you might want to check and make sure the linkage has fully returned to it's normal position. The linkage is located on the right side of the trans.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^This. Most likely you've pulled MPR linkage slightly out of position, the manual park release system/linkage/sensor can be finicky...if able you might want to check and make sure the linkage has fully returned to it's normal position. The linkage is located on the right side of the trans.
Yeah , as mentioned above in my post. I've been under the car and checked its all in the correct position. :)

Check to make certain that the manual park release is completely seated on the down (stowed) position. If it doesn't seat completely, pull it all the way up and return it to the down position. If this doesn't work, a trip to the service department might be needed.
Yeah, I have checked and checked and checked. I've even been under the car to make sure it's returned to it's correct location. But I think you are correct. I'm thinking it might of knocked the sensor out of calibration or something which is my worry. Reason being is I'm located in the UK and we don't have any Dodge main dealers over here. We have to import our Dodges ourselves if we want one, as they don't sell them over here. :(

Registered
If you can find someone with a scan tool (it would have to be a fairly capable scan tool that can read PCM and TCM at the very least), it could give you any DTCs. This would give you a starting point for diagnosis. The eight speed transmission has all it's sensors and TCM mounted internally, but there are inputs from other ECUs that it receives through the communication buses (Can C, etc.). If you are lucky, you will find something external that you can fix without getting into the transmission. If an ECU update (flash) is required, I don't know what you would do, since you don't have access to a Dodge dealership.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update, it has brought up a fault code related to not communicating with the TCM.

I also noticed my lights are not working correctly either. Only one headlight, one halo (opposite side) one turn signal and one rear taillight. Something very weird has happened for sure ans I can't find anything online with these exact symptoms..:(

I'm guessing it will need a flash but we don't have a dealer in the UK. :(

Registered
Start by checking all the electrical grounds that you can access. Your Challenger has a lot of grounds, and I have seen a modern Chrysler product completely disabled by a loose ground. It ran until hitting a bump in the road, then cut off and wouldn't restart. I moved wiring harnesses around, wiggled them until I hit on one that made the vehicle start. Tightening a ground but fixed it. Also, I have seen rodents get under a car and chew up the harness to the point that it would cause problems.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Start by checking all the electrical grounds that you can access. Your Challenger has a lot of grounds, and I have seen a modern Chrysler product completely disabled by a loose ground. It ran until hitting a bump in the road, then cut off and wouldn't restart. I moved wiring harnesses around, wiggled them until I hit on one that made the vehicle start. Tightening a ground but fixed it. Also, I have seen rodents get under a car and chew up the harness to the point that it would cause problems.
What wiring harness did you wiggle? The one in the trunk for the canbus system? I did check grounds next to the spare wheel just incase, however, I will look for more.

Registered
That particular vehicle was a Jeep, so different wiring harness. But, looking at Tech connect, I see that there is a fuse in both the front and rear PDCs that provides power for the TCM. I don't have the fuse numbers right at hand, but there should be no open (blown) fuses in either PDC. I know you found one blown fuse, check both PDCs for other blown fuses. Next, check grounds around the PDCs, this DTC results from either a loss of power or ground to the TCM. In my experience, just seeing a ground is not enough, put a wrench on it and verify that it is tight. Hopefully, this will get you back on the road.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That particular vehicle was a Jeep, so different wiring harness. But, looking at Tech connect, I see that there is a fuse in both the front and rear PDCs that provides power for the TCM. I don't have the fuse numbers right at hand, but there should be no open (blown) fuses in either PDC. I know you found one blown fuse, check both PDCs for other blown fuses. Next, check grounds around the PDCs, this DTC results from either a loss of power or ground to the TCM. In my experience, just seeing a ground is not enough, put a wrench on it and verify that it is tight. Hopefully, this will get you back on the road.
Thank you, I will check all grounds to make sure.
Can you please tell me what PDC and DTC stands for? Sorry for the noob question. :)

Registered
PDC is power distribution center (fuse box). DTC is diagnostic trouble code. I am glad to help when I can. Good luck.

Registered
There are grounds on the body, and this is more likely to cause a problem than other grounds, but don't neglect the grounds on the engine. Especially the grounds on the block itself.

Banned
Question: Have you replaced the battery? If not, you may want to begin there. Especially if you have never changed it. I replace mine every 3 to 4 years. For my Challenger it will be every 3 years. There was a "bug" that was causing this condition back in 2013. Yours is a 2015, so you should be okay. Again, I'd make sure you have a fresh battery.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Question: Have you replaced the battery? If not, you may want to begin there. Especially if you have never changed it. I replace mine every 3 to 4 years. For my Challenger it will be every 3 years. There was a "bug" that was causing this condition back in 2013. Yours is a 2015, so you should be okay. Again, I'd make sure you have a fresh battery.
Yes, I swapped out the battery yesterday afternoon with Richard but it made no difference at all.

Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Hi guys, I'm I need of some help if possible.

I've been keeping my 2015 Challenger Shaker automatic off the road and in my garage for the winter.

It has very low miles at 8,000. And well looked after.

However, I needed to move it a few days back, but the battery ran flat. So I decided to pull the red ribbon cable to manually override it into neutral to push it.

I then clipped it all back down into place. I then put it on charge and it fired right up into life, and I moved it again, but this time under its own power without any problems at all. :)

I left it a few days, and yesterday I went to start it up; only to find it wouldn't start! 馃

It would then not allow me to turn the power off either.

Then I noticed a message on the cluster stating " Vehicle not in Park (it was) service transmission, do not take it out of drive, and do not turn off the engine until you have reached desired location". Also with the shifter not lighting up at all.

With this , I instantly assumed it was that manual override lever I pulled just a few days prior.. I've been under the car and it is intact and in the correct position and not stuck. The car is definitely in Park also.the lever is all clipped down into place correctly also.

I did check again and the lever works correctly, if I pull it, I can roll the car freely, when I lock it back into position, the car won't allow me to move it.

After digging around, I found my transmission fuse (15 amp ) number 29 in front fuse box was blown out? Not sure how that happened.

So I replaced it with a fuse from the cigar lighter to see if that would fix my issue. However, it did not. :(

However, my shifter now lights up with all RED flashing lights.. I still have the same message on the cluster stating its not in Park.

But after looking at the screen for a while I also noticed another message in red come up stating " Service Electronic Stability". In not sure what that is?

I've has the battery disconnected over night and put the battery on charge just to rule that out. The battery If fully charged and holding charge just fine.

I've also tried jump starting but again, it's made no difference.

View attachment 1013670 View attachment 1013671 View attachment 1013672 View attachment 1013673 View attachment 1013674 View attachment 1013675

Can anybody help me diagnose this issue at all? Huge thanks in advance for any help offered. :)
I have a brand new 2020 challenger hellcat redeye widebody and my car is doing the exact same thing. 300 miles on the car. Its at the dealer as we speak.

Check this video out this morning.

I've never messed with the strap until today because the car was stuck in park. I dont think the strap caused the issue because I never pulled it prior to today.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts