Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my front brake setup with either the pursuit package via aftermarket parts or the Scat pack Brembo setup also via aftermarket parts. A bit cheaper this way. Question is... I would like input on which is a better option. 34k miles in and fronts are shaky for the 2nd time. It's my daily driver, not tracking. Just looking to not worry about the fronts anymore. If I go with the Brembo setup are there any other parts that have to be swapped. Caliper, rotor, pads, shield and brake lines. Anything else i'm missing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Something strange with two sets of front brakes at 34K. I got 60K out of the factory original fronts on 2013 R/T. Original rears are still on it at 65K.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. They were turned right before 12k miles. But after digging, it seems as though this is not all that uncommon. Frustrating to say the least. Got 105k miles out of my front pads on a Nissan Altima.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Dang guys, on 19K miles on originals and not a single problem yet. Also a daily driver. Are you guys driving A8’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang guys, on 19K miles on originals and not a single problem yet. Also a daily driver. Are you guys driving A8’s?

Yes, it is an A8. I don't drive this car hard. Have a little fun from time to time. But nothing crazy.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,865 Posts
Looking to replace my front brake setup with either the pursuit package via aftermarket parts or the Scat pack Brembo setup also via aftermarket parts. A bit cheaper this way. Question is... I would like input on which is a better option. 34k miles in and fronts are shaky for the 2nd time. It's my daily driver, not tracking. Just looking to not worry about the fronts anymore. If I go with the Brembo setup are there any other parts that have to be swapped. Caliper, rotor, pads, shield and brake lines. Anything else i'm missing?

Thanks.
Have you checked the run-out when you installed the rotors? Could be your front bearings are bad.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Okay, the A8 might explain why mine are lasting longer, I’m driving M6 so I’ve got a lot of downshifting to use as an advantage. Not saying you don’t have a problem but some of the difference is probably that.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
If you do consider a Brembo swap, you'll need new spindles for them.

Also, Brembos don't fit under a lot of the 20" R/T rims. They'll be fine with WRT's that are on SP's, but there's more $$$ to spend if you don't already have these.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I agree. They were turned right before 12k miles. But after digging, it seems as though this is not all that uncommon. Frustrating to say the least. Got 105k miles out of my front pads on a Nissan Altima.
I thought I was the only one with early brake problems! I had a 2015 Scat Pack A8, and the front end started quivering upon braking at maybe 14K miles. Never tracked the car or drove particularly aggressively...normal city driving for the most part. Expected to easily make it to the end of my lease, but had no choice but to replace them with OEM rotors and pads. The tire shop guy said that because the rotors were slotted, they weren't able to machine them...which I was bummed about because I just needed to get another 5K miles out of them. Have a 2018 R/T 5.7 with STP now and, to me, I can't tell the difference with the non-Brembos in normal daily commuting. That said, I never pushed the Brembos to their limits like on a track, either...I'm sure they would've held up much better wrt being fade-resistant and such. I sure don't miss the Brembo dust, though!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Don’t forget not to keep the brake pressed after hard stopping. I’ve read on here that causes issues as well with the rotors warping, if I recall correctly

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any idea if the Pursuit package brakes would fit with 18" wheels? My winter setup I run these in the 18"x8.5". http://www.visionwheel.com/wheel/1136/142-legend-5-gunmetal-with-machine-lip/
I am also wondering if simply upgrading the rear brakes to the pursuit setup will help take some load off the fronts and simply put an aftermarket rotor up front. The front already looks like a pretty beefy setup. I just don't get it. I really don't want to have to change my winter setup to upgrade the brakes. I am also curious about that performance setup from steve white. Maybe better parts will do the trick...

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Hell to the yeah! :rocker:
Brakes are one of the simplest do-it-yourself tasks (besides oil changes) that you can still do on these cars. No special tools (stuff most of us already have around the garage) and no special skills. Some cars have notoriously difficult brakes to do pad or caliper swaps. You need a special tool and a giant-assed breaker bar to get the rotors off of a Honda Odyssey or Ridgeline. But when I replaced the factory front pads on my R/T, it was 45 minutes, beginning to end, including the jacking and lug-nut torquing. Most calipers these days are self-bleeding, so even the old skill of bleeding brake lines isn't necessary any more.

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Challenger
63 Posts
Definitely Brembo's
6 pistons wont fit 18 inch wheels

·
Registered
21 Posts
cool. newbie here. Bee watching challenger manual's for a while, particularly scat packs, as well as other sedan manuals. 'Just rented a charger 5.7 for the weekend. Fairly surprised at the exhaust tone, and it feels amazing on the road. This experience might talk me into a charger :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Don’t forget not to keep the brake pressed after hard stopping. I’ve read on here that causes issues as well with the rotors warping, if I recall correctly

So lets say this is what is happening. I have excess brake pad material on one or both front rotors. Is there a way to remedy the situation at home? Wire wheel brush or something? Any way to look at the rotor and see it?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,865 Posts
Most calipers these days are self-bleeding, so even the old skill of bleeding brake lines isn't necessary any more.
I know you were speaking in general, but according to my 2015 service manual, the challenger calipers still use bleed screws.

·
Registered
202 Posts
So lets say this is what is happening. I have excess brake pad material on one or both front rotors. Is there a way to remedy the situation at home? Wire wheel brush or something? Any way to look at the rotor and see it?

From what I recall the fix was new rotors...I’m not the expert on this topic, just remember reading about it on here. See if you can search up the topic for more helpful info than me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts